STP16XL First Used STP XL Cut open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
The STP XL has a very good ISO efficiency rating according to AZ and box info. Looks to be a decently made filter too including a silicone adbv. Coil compression spring typical of many aftermarket Asian filters. However at ~$10 everyday AZ price, I'd have to go with an Ultra spin on that tier filter before it. It's ~$1 less and made in US. Just me. Also looks like they don't make the very popular 7317 size only the shorty 6607, that would make it a no go for me too.

So likely the only way I'd use the XL is with an excellent AZ oil/filter combo promo sale. Unfortunately I rarely if ever see anything at AZ in an oil/filter promo that beats WM oil price plus a separate oil filter purchase.

I wonder if the folks that make the STP XL are same as make K&N now. Could be.

Thanks for pics.

Some people prefer to not shop at walmart. For those who don't I believe this is an excellent filter.....

It's all good. I was simply giving 'my reasons' why 'I' wouldn't choose the XL 'first' in that tier filter and price range. And while WM is the place first noted for FU because they are likely the largest retailer, other places sell it too. I also mentioned the conditions under which 'I' would choose/use the XL. Nowhere in my post did I say the XL is a poor filter. In fact I thought is was rather complimentary.

If you're happy with it, cool. No reason imo to be defensive because someone posts a different point of view and explains why.

Have a good one.

I apologize if I came off defensive of the filter. I didn't believe you were dissing on the filter. I am just trying to point out that for being at an autoparts store it is not a bad price for the filter being at an autoparts store and there are times when I think it is a viable filter. If I was paying cash, I would probably get an ultra.

However one of my main points is other options commonly at autoparts stores are the Purolators, which still seem to have quality issues with cuts in the ADBV and a lower filtering efficiency and the Wix filters which seem to be built well but have a lesser filtering efficiency. I would prefer something American made, but it seems american made filters are slowly declining in quality while the foreign filters seem to continue to get nicer.

I would prefer something American made, but it seems american made filters are slowly declining in quality while the foreign filters seem to continue to get nicer.

Most Frams are American made and if anything they have been on a steady upswing quality wise the last 5-10 years. Many Wix made filters are also US manufacture and exhibit excellent build quality as well.

I would prefer something American made, but it seems american made filters are slowly declining in quality while the foreign filters seem to continue to get nicer.

All Fram Ultras are American-made
34.gif

All WIx XP/Napa Platinum spin-ons are also made in the US, as are most Wix/Napa Gold spin-ons.

There are good American filters available for every car in your sig
smile.gif

Not really my intent to make this strictly about coo. Just one of the factors in my first preference in this tier filter. I don't understand AZ not making the common 7317 application in the XL. Doing that makes it seem like a lower tier filter where consolidation is common.

I've purchased Napa Gold/(Wix) cartridges on sale for Hyun/Kia applications made on S Korea, they are very high quality. In fact equivalent imo to the H/K Mahle made OEM cartridges also made there, but for much less cost. Not uncommon now though for cartridges to be made off shore.

Just all other things being equal or close, including construction similar to XL and price, made in the US gets the nod. But if you read my posts, far from a zealot about coo.

These are great filters. I've got one in my Jeep right now... Use it along with STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20. Great combo..

When I used to build/rebuild engines I would use a 50/50 mixture of STP OIL TREATMENT and SAE 30 wt. oil.
For the camshaft, my go to cams were COMP, CRANE, and LUNATI. I would use their break in lubricants on the cams.
I also liked using RHOADS lifters. They would make the engine sound like you had a solid lift cam installed. Ah, the good 'ol days!

Quote:
These are great filters. I've got one in my Jeep right now... Use it along with STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20. Great combo..

Since this thread first started AZ STP XL has changed coo from S Korea to China, and likely it's manufacturer too, unknown. Also the 99%>20um ISO rating has been removed from the box. Not that it likely matters to most XL buyers but some of the things STP XL had going for it, now gone imo.

The STP XL appears to be an exact copy of a Purolator One or actual Purolator One with a different paint scheme. Mann+Hummel is expanding their operations in China.

I think the STP XL coil spring is different from the Purolator leaf spring but that's just me. So that points to other differences being possible.

Yeah, I don't remember a newer made in China STP XL c&p had been posted here. However, if the current XL uses a coil compression spring it's not the same as the P1. Purolator filters, labeled and made fors, come out of Fayetteville NC and as Nyogtha noted use flat/leaf type compression springs. It's 'possible' the XL is made by M&H, Puros parent company, but I've seen no definitive evidence posted yet to confirm that as fact.

Otoh, the STP ML MaxLife is a made by Purolator filter for AZ STP. The media however is not that same as the Boss or P1. It is unique to the ML.

Otoh, the STP ML MaxLife is a made by Purolator filter for AZ STP. The media however is not that same as the Boss or P1. It is unique to the ML.

They claim the ML is "Engineered to last up to 15,000 miles." I'm assuming, I know dangerous to do
grin2.gif
, that it must be at least have a blend media. I thought the Pur1 was a blend media also where as the Boss is synthetic.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

They claim the ML is "Engineered to last up to 15,000 miles." I'm assuming, I know dangerous to do
grin2.gif
, that it must be at least have a blend media.......

Whimsey

IDK. I suppose you would have to make up your own mind about the STP ML claim to 15k miles. What I saw in it's virgin dissection HERE , looked respectable. Maybe 15k miles in one year or less in a well maintained engine doable. At ~$12 everyday price though, too high imo compared to equivalent tier like FU.

Topic filter does look decent, and at the time this thread posted (2016) had a well rated efficiency. As noted though, the latter rating is gone with change of coo to China. And not sure about construction as can't remember if new coo XL has been posted.

Quote:

Since this thread first started AZ STP XL has changed coo from S Korea to China, and likely it's manufacturer too, unknown. Also the 99%>20um ISO rating has been removed from the box. Not that it likely matters to most XL buyers but some of the things STP XL had going for it, now gone imo.

I find this interesting because I just bought this filter and changed the oil one month ago and the box still has the 99% claim right on the front.

^^^^^Likely your store still older stock still available. Older boxes say 99%, newest XL boxes no longer have it. Box on left has older cartridge made 2015, box on right 2017.

Time out. Another example, popular application 6607 in new box, and date code with 2018 manufacture date. In that application no older XL in that application were available. Slower moving applications, older boxes with 99% rating left. As noted, newest boxes no longer show previous ISO efficiency rating used on Korea coo STP XL filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back