Chrysler 5.7 and 6.4 intake manifolds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been posted before, after a short search I didn't find it.

08-15 Chrysler 5.7 & 6.4 Engines
This issue has been reported with 100% occurrence on the Challenger/Charger/Ram forums.The stock intake manifolds are not properly torqued from the factory which leads to cold start, idle, acceleration and throttle issues.Everyone who has checked has reported that the bolts were loose and took multiple full rotations to tighten. Borrow or purchase an in-lb torque wrench and torque each bolt to 105 in-lb when the engine is cold. This has been reported to resolve cold start and idle issues as well as increase throttle response and even power output.

Hope that helps someone out.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
This issue has been reported with 100% occurrence on the Challenger/Charger/Ram forums.The stock intake manifolds are not properly torqued from the factory which leads to cold start, idle, acceleration and throttle issues.

From what I've read, it's not that they were not properly torqued from the factory, but more that they tend to loosen after a new engine goes through some heat cycles, hence the need to re-torque.

I will have to check the intake manifold bolts on my Ram when I do the oil change here shortly. Never had any problems with cold start with it though.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
What is the required torque value?

105 inch pounds.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This issue has been reported with 100% occurrence on the Challenger/Charger/Ram forums.The stock intake manifolds are not properly torqued from the factory which leads to cold start, idle, acceleration and throttle issues.

From what I've read, it's not that they were not properly torqued from the factory, but more that they tend to loosen after a new engine goes through some heat cycles, hence the need to re-torque.

That makes sense also...either way, they need to be tightened up

Does 08-15 refer to years of manufacture where this issue existed? If not, what years are affected? Has Chrysler figured it out by now?

OP: That's interesting. I have owned a 2014 Ram and 2015 Challenger both with the 5.7L engine. I spent a lot of time on forums for these vehicles and don't recall this being a major issue of discussion. I did not have the issues you speak of with either of my vehicles. I currently own a 2016 Charger and have not seen this issue discussed on the Charger forums either. Some vehicles may have had this issue but your claim that it was/is a problem with 100% occurrence is not credible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
OP: That's interesting. I have owned a 2014 Ram and 2015 Challenger both with the 5.7L engine. I spent a lot of time on forums for these vehicles and don't recall this being a major issue of discussion. I did not have the issues you speak of with either of my vehicles. I currently own a 2016 Charger and have not seen this issue discussed on the Charger forums either. Some vehicles may have had this issue but your claim that it was/is a problem with 100% occurrence is not credible.

Yeah, I've never heard of it either
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yeah, I've never heard of it either
21.gif

Doing some internet searches, you do find a mention of it here and there, but it does not appear to be anywhere close to "100% occurrence."

Never heard of it before either, and never seen anything about a TSB or recall notice as would be expected if this occurred with a degree of statistical significance across 8 model years of engine / vehicle manufacture.

Well, don't kill the messenger. It's a direct quote I saw and I thought it would be helpful, in case some members were experiencing the issue. Guess it's more of an annoyance since it's "not 100%".

Last edited:
Well, don't kill the messenger. It's a direct quote I saw and I thought it would be helpful, in case some members were experiencing the issue. Guess it's more of an annoyance since it's "not 100%".

Would be useful to see the source. Provide a link please.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Would be useful to see the source. Provide a link please.

My phone won't copy the link properly but it is on Fuelly.com. Do a google search for "each bolt to 105 in-lb when the engine is cold" and follow the link to Fuelly.

Note at the bottom says that it works for 59% of Fuelly members; so it is highly likely that the people here that have not experienced the issue are in the other 41%.

My phone won't copy the link properly but it is on Fuelly.com. Do a google search for "each bolt to 105 in-lb when the engine is cold" and follow the link to Fuelly.
Here it is: http://www.fuelly.com/tips/761/08-15-Chrysler-57-64-Engines

Quote:
Note at the bottom says that it works for 59% of Fuelly members; so it is highly likely that the people here that have not experienced the issue are in the other 41%.
That feature on Fuelly is more of a Like/Dislike button. I wouldn't draw too much from it.

Quote:
That feature on Fuelly is more of a Like/Dislike button. I wouldn't draw too much from it.

Exactly. And the claim it happens 100% of the time is utter lunacy.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Quote:

Exactly. And the claim it happens 100% of the time is utter lunacy.

^
This

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back