Intake manifold bolt missing

Good morning everyone, The intake manifold on my 2008 Crown Vic needs replacement.

I started tackling the job last night everything is going pretty smoothly actually. However when I went to finally remove the intake manifold itself, I noticed that one of the bolts was actually missing from when it was replaced a few years ago.

My question is, I really need to get this job done this weekend and I might have difficulty finding the part. Do you all think it would be detrimental to not have one of the bolts?(I believe there are nine total and of course the manifold is nylon mostly) I'm fine either way I'm just genuinely asking.

I am going to try and find one locally but I know a lot of parts departments are closed today. I will also look around and see if there is a junkyard close by that has one.

Lastly, do you think it would be possible to find a similar bolt at a hardware store that is close? I know the length might be different but I'm just wondering worst case scenario might be better to have some bolt in there than none.

I'm thinking I'll try the hardware store first for sure. Found a dealer that has two bolts in stock but it's 70 mi away. All said and done that would be about a $30 bolt 👀

Good morning everyone, The intake manifold on my 2008 Crown Vic needs replacement.

I started tackling the job last night everything is going pretty smoothly actually. However when I went to finally remove the intake manifold itself, I noticed that one of the bolts was actually missing from when it was replaced a few years ago.

My question is, I really need to get this job done this weekend and I might have difficulty finding the part. Do you all think it would be detrimental to not have one of the bolts?(I believe there are nine total and of course the manifold is nylon mostly) I'm fine either way I'm just genuinely asking.

I am going to try and find one locally but I know a lot of parts departments are closed today. I will also look around and see if there is a junkyard close by that has one.

Lastly, do you think it would be possible to find a similar bolt at a hardware store that is close? I know the length might be different but I'm just wondering worst case scenario might be better to have some bolt in there than none.
If you have an ACE hardware they usually have a good supply of metric regular and flange head bolts all they way up to 16mm and12.9.
Take a bolt down and match it.

I hope you are using a Ford intake. The aftermarket ones are junk. You will be redoing this job otherwise. I'll even admit the Ford ones are not great but better than Dorman by a long shot.

I agree with the others in you should easily be able to find a suitable replacment....in the mean time do the job but leave the "open hole" at the front where you can finish the job and it will be easy to add the bolt later

Appreciate all The help and feedback guys. Turned out I needed to go to the hardware store for many things actually whoever put on the previous manifold used a cheap eBay or Amazon unit that was all plastic and the OEM Ford part that I got has brass inserts in many places so I had to get several about 10 or so replacement bolts. But I got them all she's all back together and dialed in. And to who asked, only OEM for me in this case!! Actually it's almost impossible to find the one that's actually listed for the Crown Vic and if you do it is several hundred dollars I think four or five hundred. However the '99-04 mustang GT manifold is an exact replacement for under 300 bucks on eBay from a Ford dealer 👍

On a side note, when I was removing the old intake manifold coolant got into the spark plug holes prior to me changing the plugs. I got out as much as I could but I'm sure some leaked down and then of course when I replaced the plugs more went into the spark plug holes. Hard to know for sure but I would say a few ounces or so?

Anyways I'm not too concerned about it but I noticed when I started the car back up there was white smoke not a ton but noticeable I ran the car for about 30 minutes and it has subsided to just a tiny bit. Otherwise car is running beautifully no lights, no leaks, temperature is good. Is it likely the white smoke is from the coolant getting into the spark plug holes? Or raw fuel?

Usually hardware stores won't have bolts with a 1.0mm thread pitch and they NEVER have flange bolts.

When I go to the salvage yard, I bring with me a 1-gallon ziplock bag and fill it up with fasteners. They charge me like $5 but little do they know I have $400 (dealer prices) worth of fasteners.

Back