Deka Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreillys Superstart is an East Penn made battery. I have one only a couple years old, but no issues or terminal corrosion.

All of the EverStart batteries (e.g., MAXX, Plus) and economy ValuePower batteries sold at WalMart are now made by East Penn-Deka. You can tell by looking at the item number on top of the battery next to the barcode. The East Penn produced EverStart & ValuePower batteries serial numbers start with "EP", while the older Johnson Controls made batteries start with "JC". All three battery lines at WalMart are available in the group 24F size.

Family Fleet and Farm is another source for East Penn batteries, if you have one close by.
Was in there today and they were on sale. Almost bit on one for the pickup for $49., with a 30 month warranty.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
All of the EverStart batteries (e.g., MAXX, Plus) and economy ValuePower batteries sold at WalMart are now made by East Penn-Deka.

Not at my Walmart. Every battery they had on the shelf said Johnson Controls.

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
Where in Pennsylvania do you live? They have a factory store outside of Topton between Allentown and Reading.

Ever been?

Is it all MSRP or is there a factory discount?

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Oreillys Superstart is an East Penn made battery. I have one only a couple years old, but no issues or terminal corrosion.
this is regional. here on the west coast most superstarts are johnson

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
Where in Pennsylvania do you live? They have a factory store outside of Topton between Allentown and Reading.

Ever been?

Is it all MSRP or is there a factory discount?

Yes! Last fall I paid $75 for twin group 65 for the Excursion and a year before that I paid a similar price for a size 48. Both “seconds” with same month date code. I didn’t shop elsewhere, but think those are good prices. The “seconds” in the Excursion were 6 years old, but didn’t want to chance winter.

They have an install bay(didn’t use) and make custom cables too. Think they have any product they sell new if no seconds, but didn’t shop price. Was offered AGM for the Acadia, but didn’t plan on keeping it much longer.

Batteries Plus sells East Penn batteries under the Duracell brand. Many NAPA batteries are also East Penn.

Next time I'm at WalMart I am going to have to check the batteries out.

I was just in a Wallyworld in San Diego county getting some ATF+4, and checked all the batteries.
All said distributed by Johnson Controls, even the half price Valuepower batteries.

A little feedback on Deka(East Penn).
Had a 12 year old Woodmizer sawmill with the original Deka battery that still starts even in Canadian winters.
Bought 2 new batteries from a local Caterpillar dealer for my Ford 1997 F250 7.3 diesel.
Cat buys their batteries from East Penn.
Take a volt meter and check voltage to be sure you are buying fresh ones.
Do not buy low voltage batteries ever. They have been sulphated and will have a shorter life.
Bob

Johnson Controls is thinking of selling their battery business.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus...ness/416554002/

Quote:
Johnson Controls International plc said Monday it is exploring the sale or spinoff of its Power Solutions automotive battery business.

The company is the world’s largest manufacturer of automotive batteries, producing about 152 million batteries a year. The company’s batteries are in roughly one of out of every three automobiles on the road today.

The business doesn’t directly tie into Johnson Controls’ core business of heating, cooling, fire protection, and security products and services. But the battery business is considered exceptionally strong and well run.

My fathers car has a Deka batteys that is 7 years old.. I think its b/c the car is from Michigan and for some reason batteies like the cold weather more then then hot weather.. I know at work we sell batties that have the lettes S in the group number path

like 35 2 S

I was told the S stands for Summer / Southern and they will say HIGH Tempature battery.

back to my point my fathers 65 Series battery in his Mercery grand marqies is 7 years old and each time i test it the results are GOOD BATTERY and the health measurement beyond good health.

I think batties from other states are better for some reason..

This is all about the rate that chemical reactions take place with respect to temperature.

In general most chemical reactions will happen twice as fast for every increase of 10 degree C, (18 degree F); and of course half as fast for every decrease of 10 degree C, (18 degree F).

So if the average temperature that a battery in a southern state is exposed to is 20 degrees C hotter than a battery in a northern state you can expect the battery in the southern state to last 1/4 as long as the same battery in a northern state.

It is possible to reduce or increase the concentration of the acid used in a battery. If the percent of acid is made weaker the battery will last longer, the maximum cold cranking amps will be less, and the battery could freeze at a warmer temperature (which may not be a problem is some southern states).

In areas with colder winters the maximum cold cranking ability is more important than it is in southern states, and a stronger acid concentration may be required in order to get a higher cold cranking amp ability. However the colder average temperature can make the battery with stronger acid last longer.

So even though a northern battery may last longer because of the colder average temperature, if you used that battery in a southern state it may last a shorter time than the batteries that are designed to be used in hot average temperatures.

Last edited:
Sears Die Hard labeled with EP after the size are Eastern Penn and always on sale. Do not get the one with JC after the size, they are Johnson Controls.

Auto Value carries Deka batteries in my area (they are not store branded, say Deka right on the label).
Napa, Walmart and Sams Club batteries in my area are also made by East Penn/Deka, but a lot of large chains like this are regional and different parts of the country may have different suppliers.

I really like Deka/East Penn batteries and always buy them if I can find them, have had some last over 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back