2024: East Penn/Deka AGM vs Odyssey Performance AGM

Odyssey has a reputation for being a premium product, using virgin lead, TPPL technology, more plates, thinner plates etc...etc... Is this all still true in 2024?

I can get an EP/Deka 9AGM49 from NAPA or an Odyssey Performance ODP-AGM49 for within $10 of one another (with the Ody being slightly less). Each is a "local" pickup, although the Odyssey would be a significantly longer trek compared to my closest NAPA.

Curious if they are still a well-made, premium product or whether Odyssey quality has slipped along with so many other products.
Does the Odyssey Performance model earn all the same respect, or is the reputation built on, say, the "Extreme" model line up?
If Odyssey is still truly better, I'd lean that way.

Last edited:
if you are considering the odyssey there are several very similar batteries such as the batteries plus brand x2 power
no idea which ones are available in Canada.

I would still consider them all premium batteries a level above regular AGM.

Translation: at similar prices go odyssey every time.

FWIW the ody weighs 4lb more so its they arent clones of each other (which happens sometimes.)

My last batch of odyssey replacements weighed exactly the same as the 10 year old batts.

They did do an annoying part number change but from what I see/ feel and measure - no differences.

Last edited:
Are you sure either is really necessary?

The answer could honestly be no. Or just a feel good thing…. Or there could be real, strong rationale…

But for those prices I’d be thinking long and hard. Batteries are a consumable after all. Id be more concerned with my maintenance and top up regimen than which of these to buy, barring some very severe circumstances. And just being cold in Canada isn’t necessarily one of them…

I’ve had very good luck with the EP group 49, even in older euro cars that tend to undercharge. But if the difference is small, in theory, odyssey is the better make. My bet is you’d never be able to tell the difference though.

Penn/Deka has lost a step in recent years.

If US Battery is available where you are, you should look into their AGM line.

I have a Deka Intimidator in the Jeep and it's been fine. It's two years old now. I'm not sure if its any better or worse. I've had a Northstar in my ram since 2018 that claimed to use virgin lead also. Haven't had an issue with it. The Odyssey's look nice. They just seem rather expensive.

Had issues with two flooded Group 49 East Penn...replaced with an AC Delco/Varta group 49 AGM five years ago, and it still tests above its rated 900CCA.

I would say Odyssey all the way. Had an Odyssey group 34R in an older Ferrari and it was a brute...no issues.

No experience with Odyssey, however I would stand back, waaaay back from the Optima batteries. I have had a couple early failures with these along with others within my circle of friends. Overpriced crap.

Had issues with two flooded Group 49 East Penn...replaced with an AC Delco/Varta group 49 AGM five years ago, and it still tests above its rated 900CCA.

I would say Odyssey all the way. Had an Odyssey group 34R in an older Ferrari and it was a brute...no issues.
What kind of issues with East Penn group 49 flooded?

What kind of issues with East Penn group 49 flooded?
Both simply lost capacity and wouldn't hold a charge. Mind you, this BMW is daily driven (still is) and has a good 140 amp watercooled Bosch alternator. Anytime the car will sit more than a couple days, I plug in my Granite Save a Battery, battery tender.

The AC Delco AGM made by Varta has been awesome. I got it because it was the top rated H8/Group 49 in Consumer Reports

Back