AC Delco batteries now made in S. Korea?

Are AC Delco batteries now made in S. Korea? Menards is now carrying them, and the SDS lists a company called AltlasBX of Korea? No more USA production on these? Still pretty expensive, more than East Penn Deka from FFH or Proformers from NAPA.

I think that might be a Korean subsidiary of JCI/Calrios. Some Walmart batteries are also Korean Clarios, depending on the region.

I would think shipping lead acid batteries from S. Korea wouldn't be very cost effective when Mexico is right next door. The only Korean made batteries I've ever seen were on Korean made cars imported here (Daewoo, some Kia/Hyundais, and GMs).

I looked up the SDS you referenced, it was dated 2013. Next time I'm at Menards I'll have to investigate :) The last AC Delco I bought was a rebadged Clarios made in Mexico.

Replaced the battery in my Regal last week, the difference in price between the WalMart AGM and Delco battery was $30. Delcos were over $200 and they had them displayed behind the counter. ;)

I would think shipping lead acid batteries from S. Korea wouldn't be very cost effective when Mexico is right next door.
It really depends on location. A container on a ship then a rail car might be cheaper than a truck from Mexico.

I had a walmart battery from Spain years back, and someone here recently mentioned getting one from Spain recently also I thought.

just bought 2 Bosch S6 batteries (combined cost $530) and they were made in the US

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpeg
    IMG_2040.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 42
It really depends on location. A container on a ship then a rail car might be cheaper than a truck from Mexico.

I had a walmart battery from Spain years back, and someone here recently mentioned getting one from Spain recently also I thought.
yup that was me. Looks like last year when there were shortages of batteries in N. America, Walmart sourced them from europe (germany/spain). Found this out when at my Walmart recently, the normal Clarios N. America sourced batteries (group 24) were back in stock. Talked to the workers and they said that they're getting the batteries again on a more normal basis.

Point is.. the made in Spain battery I picked up is really a Varta (clarios owns them, JC bought them awhile ago). I got this last year 9/2022.

I believe the Menards serviced AC Delco batteries are different than the AC Delco batteries you buy at a dealership or elsewhere...the CA/CCA appear different when I looked and bought one for my 2014 CTS Sport Wagon in October 2019...also when I looked at JCI/Clarios batteries from Walmart (Everstart Max) and Costco (Interstate) the CA/CCA listed numbers were a small amount lower than those of the JCI/Clarios marked batteries...

I've had zero issues with my Menards/ACD battery...know that it can only be warranted through Menards and not ACD...

Bill

I bought a made in S. Korea EverStart Max for my mustang a couple years ago... so far holding up great according to my multimeter, as good as the Duracell AGM, Panasonic, and Interstate bought at the same time 👍

Back