New Honda Oil Filter 15400-RTA-003 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: deven
Looks identical to the Fram Honda filters

No it does not...

Fair enough...I'll amend my statement....the media and cardboard/fiber endcaps look similar to the Fram A02....

The bypass side of the filter has an off center end cap. Not so much as to expose and cut off any excess glue with the center tube. The other ADBV side is better. They put a neck with a rounded edge that protrudes through the end cap. It looks a lot like an improved design Fram EG, although the efficiency magic number is not known.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Quick and dirty filter cut:

Think I will be sticking with the PLM-A01.

Do you think your engine will know the difference?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-15400-RTA-003-Tennex-Filter/dp/B00DPDYOOM

Read the review. He received a PLM-A02.

There are some eBay listings of the RTA-003 at crazy prices. One seller even has a 3-pack for $999
crazy2.gif

Honda should just use that same filter globally, so they only have to stock one filter instead of several.

Does anyone know the Mahle part number?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Quick and dirty filter cut:

Think I will be sticking with the PLM-A01.

Do you think your engine will know the difference?
confused2.gif

Well, the Honda will probably see over 1000 km of track use this summer.......so...maybe?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'll stick with a Fram Ultra and run them to 20K miles.

This!

I do like how the ADBV seals to the center tube "lip" on this version. An upgrade from the Fram design IMO.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
So.... do we know yet if this replaces or supplements the A01>A02?

On sale for a limited time! HA HA! Will be back to the A02 soon I imagine.

I would certainly not seek one of these out over an A01 or A02.

I’d use it, but I don’t see anything to warrant heroic efforts to obtain one.

I agree nothing special about this RTA-003 filter.. meh is what comes to mind. The A01's look like what Toyota does, which is very clean, I like that.

So these are just being cleared out by Honda because no one wanted them? lol.. So Honda will say "here, take these, even we don't want 'em"
crackmeup2.gif

hopefully they clear them out soon.. but then again I have a whole staash of a01's I'm going through..
grin.gif

Reading this thread, imo it turned from rather a 'happy to see a new Honda oem filter', to 'this ain't much'. Looking at the topic filter, construction wise 'I' would consider it at the very least, equivalent to the A02. Looking at the topic filter dissection some of the design features I actually prefer over the A02. That said, I don't chase any of the Honda oem filters.

One thing not mentioned is it's efficiency. As with most oem, unknown however I expect that using Amsoil test rating of the A02 and other Asian OEMs as basis, not very efficient. Or as sometimes said when choosing to make it more acceptable, 'favors flow'. That one makes me chuckle a bit when I read it since OF flow an insignificant consideration in PC use.

And though the harder to get, less common A01 element construction more aesthetically pleasing to some, I suspect it's efficiency similar to the tested A02 and other Asian OFs. That said, to some efficiency not a priority and that's fine with me. Just noting it as some aftermarket filters with at least equivalent to OEM efficiency, are regularly flogged here for it. My .02

Im a little surprised at the comments.

I think this is a horrible looking filter and if it didnt have the Honda name on it and lets say had a Purolator name on it the filter would get trashed by everyone in this forum.
Pay a premium price for a filter that looks like this? Heck, just buy a $4 Fram filter instead.

( I always did like the overseas manufacturers seal the filter in plastic, but those can be bought anyplace, not manufacturer specific)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'll stick with a Fram Ultra and run them to 20K miles.

This!

I do like how the ADBV seals to the center tube "lip" on this version. An upgrade from the Fram design IMO.

I do 7K miles , 7K miles , then finally a 6K OCI .

Well rats. Ordered a pack of A01s and received these RTA-003 instead. Not particularly happy about the change. I don't think they did me any favors.

Originally Posted by speedlever
Well rats. Ordered a pack of A01s and received these RTA-003 instead. Not particularly happy about the change. I don't think they did me any favors.
Curious who you ordered them from? H&A Accessories has long been a web source for the Filtec A01, I just went to their site and see they no longer offer them. Only the Fram made A02. Appears the A01 getting more difficult to find.

While I don't use them, if it was advertised as the A01 and I received either the topic filter or the A02, I wouldn't be happy.

^^^^ If interested in the A01 the listed $5.26 price (marked down from Honda $7.30 retail) doesn't seem terrible. However add in the ~$16-18 shipping charge (to here) for 1-6 filters, another story. But, it does appear they have the A01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back