Hyundai GDI engine failure safety recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 13 Sonata since new and it’s been ok , now at 58,000 miles. I have done all the oil changes. One thing they have harped about is using OEM Hyundai oil filters. We use synthetic 5/30 but when I took it in for the noise check Hyundai put conventional 5/30 in, no biggy.
Ive watched my Oil like a hawk since the time I discovered their first solution, milling debris still in engines from manufacturing. That wasn’t it as they have continued failing since changing the process. I do full synthetic every 5k and never stretch it much past that. Mine never got overly dark ever but I never stretched OCI either. From following the discussions extending the OCI is not considered a great idea with these cars. It’s pretty well accepted that they are failing mostly on the middle 2 cylinders by debris scoring the bearings on those cylinders connecting rod.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/forum.php.
Here’s a link to the Hyundai forums. You’ll find lots of info in there concerning the problems with their Theta DI engines. It’s not just the Sonatas either. The 1.8. DI Elantras are dying in droves too. Coatings coming off the pistons , they claimed changed coating in 14 models but that didn’t work as our 15 started to go. No recall on those yet either which sucks as your limited yo the warranty limits only. My daughters started ticking in the timing chain area at 46,000 and got its new engine. The new one was anything but quiet compared to the original before the ticking and got traded pronto.
At least your girlfriends has the 10 yr 120,000 extended warranty . Just keep an eye on it for sudden extreme oil usage and increasing knocking or tapping. Look under the oil cap occasionally for signs of sludge and blow your. Keep the Oil up at the full mark and and use Hyundai filters. I get mine off Ebay for $6. These things never fail instantly so if you are alert it would give you plentry of notice. Good luck..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I already came to the conclusion from what I read on Hyundai forums that the machining debris story was false. They just don't want to admit the whole engine design is faulty probably. The ones that will last are the ones the get meticulous care like yours. Oil staying clean is pretty rare in a Hyundai or kia from what I'm told. When I was still doing oil changes at Goodyear these cars were brand new so I didn't see the trend like my friend did who still works there.

The good thing is her car is completely silent even on cold starts. No misfires or anything. It's just the oil dirtying really fast which is at least partly because of her short trips to work.

Also I don't know that hers has had it's warranty extended. Just because they did in the US doesn't mean they did in Canada. We have lots of defective airbags not being recalled here because we don't have a humid enough climate apparently.

It seems like you may be reacting to a possible problem that in reality, very few people have to deal with (blown Hyundai engines). The black oil is probably due to the short-tripping miles on the car, nothing more. Regarding the "problems" of DI, that's more internet lore than anything--in the real world I've never heard of a DI issue with the Hyundais.

If the engine isn't burning oil and runs good, keep up with the oil changes like you're doing and enjoy the car. Hyundai engines (in my experience) have been very good, and trouble-free.

Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
The oil was truly black the first time I saw it before the oil change at 2k and it was dark dark brown a few days after the oil change. Probably black now because it's been a few weeks. I won't be looking at it again for a bit because she doesn't want to be stressed out about it.

It won't be getting synthetic because that's a $100 oil change around here because I won't be doing it myself and it needs to be done every 3 months. I go 5k on my carbureted 305 Chevy with full synthetic but I change it myself.

One good thing is she has been putting a cleaner in every oil change because a technician recommended it because of the direct injection carbon buildup issues.

You're probably right that I'm over worrying but if you follow the links to Hyundai forums someone posted in the first page of this thread you'll find a lot of Hyundai employees posting in there and it sounds like they can barely keep up with demand for replacement engines.

I haven't heard of many Di related issues on the Hyundai's personally but I have on late model Ford's and a lot of German vehicles.

I will try not to worry about it. She only has about 55k miles so they should be warrantying it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back