75k and never changed diff fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, doubt there’s any damage to your diff. Replace the fluid w a synthetic, replace the gasket and call it a day

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: monster1
Thanks for the peace of mind guys. I'll get the transfer case changed right away. And worry a little later about the differential fluid. I definitely need to check the level in the rear though because when I was checking suspension components the other day, I looked back and saw fluid stains on the pumpkin. I have a leak somewhere.
Just get a new gasket then when you do the change. Theres not many places it can leak. More than likely that gasket.

You can use a suction gun to remove almost everything if you are determined to change it.Stains don't mean much unless you see where it has been dripping.

Last edited:
After further inspection, it appears it's the pinion seal. Easy enough fix. Thanks again.

Pinion seals go on these trucks with high miles. Nothing unusual about it.

I have Amsoil Severe Gear 75/110 in mine, and I might not ever change it again unless I cross water or have a failure. This just isn't one of those axles that needs frequent maintenance when using a good lube.

Yes. I finally got around to looking up an owners manual for my truck. The service intervals for the diffs are every 15k miles. Btw, it recommends 75w-90 gl-5 synthetic both front and rear. It says with the limited slip diff, no additives are needed. Dies this mean I need an oil with no ls additives or use an oil with ls and just not add anything else?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm thinking red line 75w-90. Seems to be highly recommended and free shipping on amazon. Also I found the answer to my question. They say do not add EXTRA friction modifiers to the gear oil. It's fine with what is already blended into the gear oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back