New Magnefine Power Steering Filter? R038M-P 3810

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i've been doing some research on installing a filter onto my nissan sr20det P/S return line - reading the owners manual, the return line can get up to 100psi. only found a few threads online about how both the plastic and aluminum Cardone filters start leaking. also found another thread (on here i think) about how the magnefines also end up leaking, one post was definitely because the guy lives in canada and it gets to -45.

so, i just found this
https://magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Magnefi...M-P-3810000.htm

magnefine seems like a quality company, and now (i dunno when they started offering these metal ones) they make a metal sealed one, which should solve the whole leaking issue, right?

they've made their other magnefine performance edition filter for a while, i'm assuming. but it costs $120. this new filter i linked is only $20.

any feedback? i didnt find much info on this new metal sealed filter.

New to me. I guess with how many times they tried to solve the leaking problem they finally went with a fully welded all metal design.

Like any new product there will be a few testers to offer their feedback after running it for a while. You could be the first one.

They claim OEMs allow 10k miles more to service intervals. However, they didn't specify the OEMs or transmissions. Anyone have this information?

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
New to me. I guess with how many times they tried to solve the leaking problem they finally went with a fully welded all metal design.

Like any new product there will be a few testers to offer their feedback after running it for a while. You could be the first one.

I guess you heard and read over the years the same things I did.
thumbsup2.gif
Nice all metal at a reasonable price, it's about time. I read a few horror stories about the plastic version and stayed clear even though the vast majority of people swore by them. I think I'll wait for some feedback too.

According to them it will enhance component life by 7 times. Those kinds of statements never sat well with me.
27.gif
But if they don't burst or leak I'm interested non the less.

I recently did a original rack and pump in a Toyota and VW that were both 20+ yrs old that had been well maintained judging from the look of the fluids, 7 times would make that 140 yrs.
I think the quality of the fluid used and how often it is serviced has as much to do with it as anything. Filters don't stop Honda pumps from dying early.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I recently did a original rack and pump in a Toyota and VW that were both 20+ yrs old that had been well maintained judging from the look of the fluids, 7 times would make that 140 yrs.
I think the quality of the fluid used and how often it is serviced has as much to do with it as anything. Filters don't stop Honda pumps from dying early.

LOL I did a little math, and many automatic transmissions could easily make 2 million miles with one of these filters. My van would now exceed 200 years on the original PS pump. Impressive indeed.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Because Honda uses crrap oil in their powersteerings. That is why people complain on taking out seals if they use an oil other then Honda's or directly speced Honda equivalents. You try to stick a good PAO or POE in there and the seal get deteriorated. That crrap oil gets "spent" and takes out the pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: huh
so i've been doing some research on installing a filter onto my nissan sr20det P/S return line - reading the owners manual, the return line can get up to 100psi. only found a few threads online about how both the plastic and aluminum Cardone filters start leaking. also found another thread (on here i think) about how the magnefines also end up leaking, one post was definitely because the guy lives in canada and it gets to -45.

so, i just found this
https://magnefinefilters.com/NEW-Magnefi...M-P-3810000.htm

magnefine seems like a quality company, and now (i dunno when they started offering these metal ones) they make a metal sealed one, which should solve the whole leaking issue, right?

they've made their other magnefine performance edition filter for a while, i'm assuming. but it costs $120. this new filter i linked is only $20.

any feedback? i didnt find much info on this new metal sealed filter.

I am not sure I believe the return is 100 psi. Was this in material published by Nissan or some idiot in Nissan giving his opinion? I have used a bunch of Magnefine filters (plastic) and never had one leak. A few may have dripped at the filter housing thread but they started to heat seal them a few years ago.

the return line can get up to 100psi.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that!!

It should go back to the reservoir.... which is at atmospheric pressure.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
the return line can get up to 100psi.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that!!

ok ok, sorry it wasn't the service manual from nissan that said this. i found it, it was just an aftermarket company trying to sell their fancy power steering reservoir and stainless lines.

I've had a plastic one on my Gen Coupe for over 9 years. Same one. No problems. No way is the return pressure 100 psi. They only use spring clamps from the factory on my hoses.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Have you looked at the NTZ Transprotector? It is all metal but only $25 and can be plumbed in-line, not the an fittings the metal magnefine has.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4279648

The newest Magnefines are metal cased and they are phasing out the Nylon66 cases (which were pressure tested to 600 psi). I have one of those expensive finned jobs, to which you referred, and it's pretty neat. A lot too expensive but the little filters inside (same as in the Nylon66 filters) are cheap. Don't know if they use the same filter element in the new metal can or not.

Did before and after particle tests on the PS in my truck and the MF very soon cleaned it up. Search here back to about 2012 or so and you will find them.

IMO, the most important time to have the filter is when new.. that's when the system will generate the most contamination. Of course if you go to that much trouble you may as well keep them installed. And oil that is free of metal contamination oxidizes less so in theory lasts longer. Have had one on our Honda Accord,2000 MY,for about six years. We bought it new and it still has the original rack and pump. I changed the oil once before I installed the filter and again when I installed it.Not much to say more than that. I haven't had the oil particle tested but the in the case of the Magnefine, I know what cleanliness level it will maintain and that is well into the optimal.

I see on ebay if you search for Magnetic In-Line Transmission Filter you will find some store brand plastic shell Magnifines for under $20. Raybestos and Carquest.

I have one on my Genesis Coupe that has to have over 60k miles on it.

I recently installed one of the new metal ones on my power steering return. Time will tell how well it’ll hold up. I’m planning on putting one on my transmission too at some point.

Are the Raybestos ones as good as the regular Magnefine ones. I got a Raybestos one from a local NAPA and they were marked Made in China.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Are the Raybestos ones as good as the regular Magnefine ones. I got a Raybestos one from a local NAPA and they were marked Made in China.
Yes it says made in China. How can you tell if they are as good as the Magnefine?

Everything looks the same on the outside, which does not mean anything. I asked the guy at the NAPA counter and he said they sold a lot of them and never had any complaints. I know the real ones are made in Australia. Just hope the one I bought is decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back