Chisel Tattoos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread awhile ago about tattoos, lots of pros and cons. I don't care, I have none. Tatoos are a Pacific culture thing, and were done with a chisel. I was trying to find a good photo at the time, so here is a colourised photo of a Maori Chief taken in 1884, you can see the chisel lines. I'd need a smack on the head with a mere (club) before getting a little tatoo like that.

If its part of their culture for hundreds of years it looks good.

If its some young punk trying to be a bad [censored] then it very looks silly. I see many young men with a 'sleeve' covered with terrible looking tattos.

Modern Maori facial tattoos are done in ink, with fat lines...the look is intimidating and ''scary''. These chisel tattoos don't look intimidating at all, he looks proud and dignified.

Looks like he's still in pain.
eek.gif

First time I had heard of this type of tattoo. I know the Maori culture revers tattoos. They have a name for them which escapes me at this moment. Thanks for sharing Silk.

Very interesting. Not for me, but also more legit, imo, than most tattoos out there today, posed as "art".

Some tropical cultures gauging their flesh for centuries is something I cannot relate to.
Do remember, the Maori are why the .45 ACP was developed.
They should be brought to this country, trained to detect baddies and released.

Today's tats are lumped into the disgusting, broad category of "copy cat consumerism".
Smoking cigarettes = trying to be tough and cool PLUS the ad campaigns (evil psych ops-and everybody knows it)
Keeping up with the Jone's = YOU'RE a SLAVE to your ego and you're weak.
Tattoos = Really short sighted consumerism. Completely unoriginal (gimme a 17b, please). NOBODY wakes up and feels he wants a tattoo. Total copy cat.
I suppose they are better than wife beating.

Can't say I like 'em.

I would think any kind've unnatural augmentation of the skin would be begging to cause some form of skin cancer,especially dyes and inks.

If it's part of thousands of years of your unique and original culture, all the power to you. If you're some kind of suburban acultural kid that wants to either project a bad [censored] look or rebel against your parents, perhaps you should reconsider. Seems like the popularity comes from the latter crowd..
and then you've got the cutters and self-mutilators because they have some deep psychological trauma that they havent worked out yet. Totally different than a Maori fellas rationale IMO

Yeah, where do I sign up for this? I don't have anything else to do with my spare time and I've got money to burn to put into this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back