2017 VW Jetta 1.4T 10K Mile Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just got back from a road trip from Kansas to South Texas. Drove a whopping 2,310 miles on my 5 day vacation. Drove nearly 75-90 MPH the whole time on the interstates. I can see why I get PO off at Texas drivers when they come up to Kansas, they dont really enforce the speed in Texas! I was driving 90 in a 75 down near McAllen Texas. I seen a Trooper on the side of the road and I thought surely I was gonna get pulled over. Nope, I did get passed by another guy probably doing 100. State Troopers don't care. Drove through the Austin area doing 90 MPH with a group of cars, still getting passed. Texans love there speed.

With the 2,310 mile trip came a lot of gas. I used 61.4 gallons of gas for a 37.63 MPG average. I spent a total of $148.09 on gas. The cheapest gas I filled up for was $2.12 in South Texas. Most expensive was $2.62 in Central Oklahoma. I would have never guessed the MPG would have been so high for driving so fast.

The car handled awesome. Tons more power than the old 2.0Slow im used to driving. Although the seats suck on that long of a drive. Feels like a barely cushioned seat on that long of a drive. I was dang sore after getting back to Kansas!

Yeah, but FermeLaPorte has a Nissan Versa dollar-store-car that could have driven to Texas too!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah, but FermeLaPorte has a Nissan Versa dollar-store-car that could have driven to Texas too!
I paid like 3K more for my Jetta then the MSRP of a Versa. Also have a 140K mileage warranty. I like the looks and feels of cheap VWs than cheap Nissan's. I will start the slow clap though! Lol.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Great review.

How many passengers did you have ?
I love long out of state road trips.
Just me! Went to South Padre for Spring Break. Ended up hating the spring break crowd. I ended up trying to stay away from there as much as I possibly could. Ending up going to Mexico for a day. Also stayed in San Antonio, checked out the Alamo and the river walk.

Thanks alot Nick, I just spit my drink all over my monitor!

To the OP, glad you're liking the car so far! My 2008 Jetta was a road trip king as well, we drove it 2K round trips a couple times. The leatherette seats did make your bum get numb after 700 miles though. Wasn't too bad as Mr. Small Bladder (aka me) had to stop every 1.5hrs so we were able to walk around.

Originally Posted By: Delta

Thanks alot Nick, I just spit my drink all over my monitor!

To the OP, glad you're liking the car so far! My 2008 Jetta was a road trip king as well, we drove it 2K round trips a couple times. The leatherette seats did make your bum get numb after 700 miles though. Wasn't too bad as Mr. Small Bladder (aka me) had to stop every 1.5hrs so we were able to walk around.
Of the 3 Jetta's my family owned, Not one had Leather seats. Just the cheap base model seats. 1.5 hours? I drove from Topeka KS to San Antonio stopping 1 time to get gas after 550 miles. Still never used the rest room till I got to San Antonio. That's the great thing about being young!

Nice car and good review. I drove a Tiguan over there with the 1.4T a friend owns and was impressed with the power this engine makes for its size. I don't know why they don't offer this engine in the US model, its more than strong enough to run at 160 kmh all day with decent acceleration.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nice car and good review. I drove a Tiguan over there with the 1.4T a friend owns and was impressed with the power this engine makes for its size. I don't know why they don't offer this engine in the US model, its more than strong enough to run at 160 kmh all day with decent acceleration.
They do offer it in the Jetta. Nothing else in the states. I think you might be confused.

lol.gif

How confused? This was a German Tiguan, I know they sell it in the Jetta in the US but the Jetta is not sold in Germany.
when did Germany get rid of the Jetta?

Too bad the seats are so so. Do they offer nicer seats in up models?

Sounds like a nice car otherwise. My wife is eyeing the new 2018 Tiguan.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
How confused? This was a German Tiguan, I know they sell it in the Jetta in the US but the Jetta is not sold in Germany.
when did Germany get rid of the Jetta?

This year and the hard top Beetle is also no longer in the program only the convertible. The 4 door Golf aka Jetta was never a very popular car there. Shame the 2019 Jetta is a good looking car.
On the other hand they have stuff not offered in the US.

Great review, thank you. Sure is a nice step or two up from a Versa. Well worth the extra $$$. Do you have the manual or the auto in it?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Great review, thank you. Sure is a nice step or two up from a Versa. Well worth the extra $$$. Do you have the manual or the auto in it?
M/T

I should have added sedan to the 4 door golf. Funny thing about Germany though, sedans are not popular at all until you get into a higher class cars. Smaller cars are almost all wagons or hatches.

About this reliability thing. When I was a kid back in the 70s and 80s, my parents were always having problems with new (and fairly new) cars, mostly GM. I never have the kinds of problems now that they had. But they had no clue how to properly maintain or repair a car.

The only times I have been stranded with my current vehicles is from a dead battery, and once from a broken serpentine belt. I'm happy as a clam, not ranting and raving like my old man did about his cars.

Honda makes a good minivan, that's for sure. I'm like the old Maytag repairman, waiting around for something to need fixing on it. But it never does. My old Mercedes need more TLC, but one is 31 years old and the other is 18, what do you expect?. Kind of a hobby of mine to keep them running in tip top shape. With these online parts suppliers now like AutohausAZ and Pelican, parts are not too expensive or hard to come by.

I wouldn't be afraid of a new VW, although there are lots of VW haters on this website. I don't see new VWs broke down by the side of the road every day, or being hauled by tow trucks. A Golf or Jetta with a manual transmission would probably be fun to drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back