2018 traverse first dealer oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
This is from the 2018 Owner's Manual:

I think the 2 hours is for checking the oil.

If a low oil Driver Information Center
(DIC) message displays, check the
oil level. If the oil is not low and the
low oil message remains on, take
the vehicle to your dealer for
service.
Follow these guidelines:
. To get an accurate reading, park
the vehicle on level ground.
Check the engine oil level after
the engine has been off for at
least two hours. Checking the
engine oil level on steep grades
or too soon after engine shutoff
can result in incorrect readings.
Accuracy improves when
checking a cold engine prior to
starting. Remove the dipstick
and check the level.
If unable to wait two hours, the
engine must be off for at least
15 minutes if the engine is
warm, or at least 30 minutes if
the engine is not warm. Pull out
the dipstick, wipe it with a clean
paper towel or cloth, then push it
back in all the way. Remove it
again, keeping the tip down, and
check the level.

My wife's 2017 3.6 Impala owners manual also reads the same. I have waited the 2 hours as recommended but experimenting with this 2 hour recommendation, I have found 3 hours is a lot better as there is zero streaking/smudging on the dipstick after that time.
Our driveway is sloped so after a decent drive, I will park it partially on the road/driveway to get the car level as possible. Tinkering in the garage, etc, I check it after the 3hour window and all has settled which makes it very easy/accurate to read.
With my truck, I check it after work as it has sat at least 8 hrs on a very flat parking lot. Now, if I could just convince my wife to do the same thing at her work.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: ls973800
I had my 2018 Chevrolet Equinox in for it's first

I know the 2018 Equinox is very slow to drain oil. Owner's Manual says it takes 2 hours. They are right, as I changed my oil, and put in less oil than capacity, and it still over-filled by about a half quart or so. So when I take it in to the dealer later, I'll show them the Owners Manual and ask they not put too much in, since there is no way they will drain for 2 hours in their quick-lube setup.
The '18 Traverse may not have the same problem. Its the Equinox's 1.5T engine that does it for sure. I think the 2.0T does as well.
Wonder if they over-filled both those at the dealership.....

It doesn't take two hours to drain the oil!! They are saying to let the car sit for two hours before getting an accurate reading on the dipstick. My oil was changed in less than an hour, and even that was from pulling into the service bay, having it written up, car sat for a while before being taken back for the oil change, and then pulled back to the front. I bet it wasn't on the rack more than fifteen minutes for the oil drain and tire rotation.

The dipstick was and still is weeks later at the correct level. The oil was changed so don't see how anyone would think a modern vehicle would require TWO HOURS for the oil to drain.

Last edited:
It doesn't take two hours to drain the oil!! They are saying to let the car sit for two hours before getting an accurate reading on the dipstick.
The dipstick simply measures the level in the sump. Thats where you drain from.
I guess you disagree with the manual then, which says 2 hours, straight from GM engineers and techs. Also, I changed the oil myself a while back, and I let it drain about 5 minutes I think (not enough). (Quick lube shops and dealerships probably do 2 minutes.) I put in a quart less than spec (5.3 qts), 4.5 qts, and still overfilled it. Also see maybe an even stranger case at https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/...-screw-ups.html

I'll wait 15 minutes (after hot driving), check the level, and then check it again 2 hours later (again, PER THE MANUAL), just to see what the difference is. They do say 15 minutes will be pretty close.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I don’t understand why they would design an engine that takes two hours for oil to drain.

" I guess you disagree with the manual then, which says 2 hours, straight from GM engineers and techs"

PLEASE
paste or link to that manual that says to DRAIN the oil for two hours!

They don't! As Egg_Head posted from the owner's manual, the two hour period is before checking the dipstick. Not 2 hours waiting for the oil to drain.

"To get an accurate reading, park
the vehicle on level ground.
Check the engine oil level after
the engine has been off for at
least two hours.
Checking the
engine oil level on steep grades
or too soon after engine shutoff
can result in incorrect readings.
Accuracy improves when
checking a cold engine prior to
starting. Remove the dipstick
and check the level.
If unable to wait two hours, the
engine must be off for at least
15 minutes if the engine is
warm, or at least 30 minutes if
the engine is not warm
. Pull out
the dipstick, wipe it with a clean
paper towel or cloth, then push it
back in all the way. Remove it
again, keeping the tip down, and
check the level."

Last edited:
PLEASE[/b] paste or link to that manual that says to DRAIN the oil for two hours! ...manual says: "Check the engine oil level after
the engine has been off for at least two hours.
"

Based on my own experience changing the oil, it is very slow to drain down after getting the engine hot, and super slow if cold.
If you don't wait 2 hours for the oil to drain into the sump, then you will leave quite a bit of old oil in there, so really you just have to be careful to avoid putting in the max listed spec capacity of 5.3 qts (AWD models, 4.2 qts for FWD models only) when draining quick (5 minutes or less like Fast Lube Shops).

Actually the different sump capacities from AWD vs. FWD Equinoxes will throw off many DIYers and quickie lube shops too. AWD=5.3qts and FWD=4.2qts, same 1.5T engine.

Maybe you think the sump level has nothing to do with the dipstick reading? Just asking you if its possible someone doesn't know the dipstick just sticks into the fluid sitting in the sump. Therefore draining from the top-end to the sump (2 hours) relates directly to sump level. If it doesn't drain down from the top-end and galleys to the sump, then thats the same as draining from there out the plug. Maybe someone else can explain it to you better. Not criticizing you if you didn't know that since we weren't born with than knowledge.

"Maybe someone else can explain it to you better. Not criticizing you if you didn't know that since we weren't born with than knowledge."

So in other words you can't link to anything from GM that says to DRAIN the oil for 2 hours, correct? Anyone who believes manufacturers of modern mass produced vehicles require a two hour oil drain time because they misread the manual should not be telling everyone GM requires a two hour drain time!

Go ahead and do your two hour drain, I'll do mine until the oil quits coming out as a steady stream and then wait a few more minutes until it just drips, which is what I do on any vehicle. I don't think that will be more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Still waiting for you to justify your statement for DRAINING the oil

"I guess you disagree with the manual then, which says 2 hours, straight from GM engineers and techs"
other than as been pointed out by others that refers to checking the dip stick level and you don't understand it doesn't say anything about draining the oil.

Regardless, have a nice day and we will each keep doing what we do. However, mine will not be a two hour drain.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Oh, what did you get fro oil?

My dealer "accidentallY' changed my oil ( during a trans drain and fill) by dumping out some not nearly done QSUD for some terrible junk. It may have been the wrong grade (0w20) since the Rogue would not rev over 2500 without EXTREME protest, but it has ton-o-torque from 1000-2000. I could only stand that slime for a week and dumped it.

Seriously, that makes no sense. You're using 10W-30 and you suspect they put in 0W-20 and now you can't rev over 2500 rpm
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
. If they put in 20W-70 your assertion might be a bit more plausible but it doesn't make any sense as you stated.

Whimsey
I don't understand you misunderstanding
smile.gif

I feel its VVTi related and KS related. It did happen - now its up to YOU to make sense out of it.
But, Are you qualified to do so?

On the 10w30, I temper with some 5w20 to get the VVT in its sweet spot. Yest its overly sensitive. But know that QSUD 10w30 is THINNER (less viscous) at op temp than their 5w30 DEXOS1. 0w/5w/10w has NOTHING at all to do with KV40/KV100.
Do you understand this? I am here to help
smile.gif

Last edited:
O_F_M:
Funny, I had my fist slow drain experience on my new snow thrower ( briggs OHV in a toro) Tiny pipie and at least a half hour. I even put the Dipstick back in and locked it down and hand cranked the engine to cough some oil out.

I would look to some RTV pan sealant migrated to the wrong spot.
Seen new engines with 3/4 blocked oil pickups with RTV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Oh, what did you get fro oil?

My dealer "accidentallY' changed my oil ( during a trans drain and fill) by dumping out some not nearly done QSUD for some terrible junk. It may have been the wrong grade (0w20) since the Rogue would not rev over 2500 without EXTREME protest, but it has ton-o-torque from 1000-2000. I could only stand that slime for a week and dumped it.

Donmt get out much?

This is the unbelievable post of the day.........
cry.gif

Don't get out much?

Run a 20 in an engine that NEEDS a 30 and see what the VVT does. It will not advance the cam enough and the high RPM torque with be

I didn't want to believe it either.

They also OVERfilled my CVT sump and now it (possibly foams up) and revvs too high
The service writer says the tech "just starts draining all the stuff and he forgot your oil was not to be changed".

It was a full lube renew MINUS oil.

Last edited:
Wow. I just bought an '18 Equinox 1.5T and I'll probably do an oil change in the next 2 weeks (should have 1500-2K miles on it by then). I'm going to do it in my heated shop at work and I'll see how much drains in 20 minutes and measure it. I can't believe it'll take 2 hours for a full drain. When I change oil on my cars I do wait 20-30 minutes, only because I'm putzy and not in a rush.

I can't believe what I am reading. How can someone think they have to drain for 2 hours when it clearly says this is for checking the level after running. And only if you are anal. Wait 24 hours if you want a more accurate measure on the stick.
So will you drain for 24 hours now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back