$150.00 Oil Change at Toyota Stealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight off Mazda's Website

BASE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
Base scheduled maintenance is due every 10,000 km, but no longer than 12 months, whichever comes first.

1ST SERVICE
or 10,000 km
Replace
Engine Oil
Engine Oil Filter
Perform
Rotate Wheels/Tyres (if necessary)
Road Test
Inspect
Battery
Body Electrical Systems
Brake Fluid
Brake Lines, Hoses & Connections
Brake Unit & Hoses
Disc Brakes
Emission Evaporative System
Engine Air filter
Engine Coolant
Engine Drive Belt
Fuel Lines & Hoses
Parking Brake
Suspension/Wheel Bearings
Tyre Pressure (incl spare)
Windscreen Washer Solution

TOTAL SERVICE PRICE
$305*

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would not pay it of course. But he can afford it, and he is happy, so i'd just let it go.

This. I never "think with other people's wallets"

Yep me either but I sure think about mine!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would not pay it of course. But he can afford it, and he is happy, so i'd just let it go.

This. I never "think with other people's wallets"

Yep me either but I sure think about mine!

01.gif

I was witness to a customer recieving a service docket that included $600 for oil...12 litres of M1 0W40.

$600 down, $2,900 to go on that service.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Local Toyota dealer charges $179 for their 0w20 minor service, the Lexus dealer is about $250.

$150 sounds average to me.

Looks like they have a reasonable oil change AND TIRE ROTATION price for $59. Which was the point of this thread and not a minor service.

https://www.toyotawc.com/service-specials

From my research, the servicing pricing in the SF Bay Area market is very similar to most other large metropolitan markets - such as Northern VA, NYC, etc.

(I guess Toyota is running a special - but I specifically recall their pricing for a minor service to be about $179.)

Traditionally, many drivers are accustomed to oil changes being a low-cost service. This is because oil changes were being done as loss-leaders. Techs get usually get paid .3 hr for an oil change or .5-.7 for an oil change and tire rotation. If you multiply the labor time by what the normal shop labor rate is ($125-$175/hr), you can see what I mean.

That dealer does an oil change and tire rotation for $59 . Seems like a very reasonable price. Surprised you didn't mention that.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
From my research, the servicing pricing in the SF Bay Area market is very similar to most other large metropolitan markets - such as Northern VA, NYC, etc.

(I guess Toyota is running a special - but I specifically recall their pricing for a minor service to be about $179.)

Traditionally, many drivers are accustomed to oil changes being a low-cost service. This is because oil changes were being done as loss-leaders. Techs get usually get paid .3 hr for an oil change or .5-.7 for an oil change and tire rotation. If you multiply the labor time by what the normal shop labor rate is ($125-$175/hr), you can see what I mean.

That dealer does an oil change and tire rotation for $59 . Seems like a very reasonable price. Surprised you didn't mention that.

Obviously that is their loss leader service. At that price, you cannot be getting a proper maintenance inspection of your vehicle with the visit.

Obviously that is their loss leader service. At that price, you cannot be getting a proper maintenance inspection of your vehicle with the visit.

$59.95 Synthetic oil change, Toyota filter, tire rotation, Multi-point inspection, top off all fluids, check belts and hoses, inspect battery, inspect coolant.

Seems perfectly fine to me. However, down the road who knows what they will charge for the service since it's a coupon that expires.

My Chevy dealer sent out a coupon for an oil change at $20.18 (get it?). There were no add-ons or exclusions listed just the ominous “see dealer for details”. Even though my shelves are stocked with M1 and filters, I can’t do an oil change that cheap and it’s January and so I decided to give it a try. My Tahoe takes six quarts so I was expecting them to charge for the extra quart, disposal fees, shop fees etc. I challenged the service writer when I drove up and he promised that the only add-on would be sales tax. I asked what oil they would be using and all he knew to say was “Dexos”. I knew this dealer to use AC Delco Semi-Syn as their bulk oil so I asked specifically about that. He says, “it’s full synthetic”. I’m thinking, no way for 20 bucks but let them go ahead.

So the work was done in 30 minutes including a car wash. I check out and sure enough, the bill is $20.18 plus tax, no add-ons. The invoice did say that the oil used was “5W-30 Conv” which is what I really expected for that price. So, the service writer was shown to be ignorant or untruthful, take your pick. Also, the dealers have new software where they enter your VIN and mileage and GM kicks out to the owner a text message listing all the “manufacturer recommended” service required for your vehicle without a mechanic ever touching it. That list of work was an additional $900 LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, if they used "the best" syn oil and synthetic media oil filter, they didn't use anything Toyota branded.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree, although some people might beg to differ. Every time I read these threads I scratch my head wondering why people have the dealer change their oil. I can understand age, or a disability, but in that case why not a reliable repair shop? In 40+ years of car ownership the dealer changed my oil once, and that was because they had to replace a leaking oil pan gasket under warranty.

LOL, so reading this it turns out oil change for Toyota is more expensive then for BMW. So much about: you know how expensive is BMW to maintain?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well, if they used "the best" syn oil and synthetic media oil filter, they didn't use anything Toyota branded.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree, although some people might beg to differ. Every time I read these threads I scratch my head wondering why people have the dealer change their oil. I can understand age, or a disability, but in that case why not a reliable repair shop? In 40+ years of car ownership the dealer changed my oil once, and that was because they had to replace a leaking oil pan gasket under warranty.

I had the dealer do oil changes when I had my Magnum. Mostly...they kept sending coupons, and I couldn't change it myself for what they charged. (About $28 after tax & disposal, IIRC.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

thumbsup2.gif

I had the dealer do oil changes when I had my Magnum. Mostly...they kept sending coupons, and I couldn't change it myself for what they charged. (About $28 after tax & disposal, IIRC.)

At one point the dealers were about the same price as those quick change places, but I think I went once and it took about 2 hours for them to do it so the wait wasn't worth it when you could take it anywhere else for about the same price and be done in less than an hour. But if I don't want to bother, I can give my indy $20 and he'll rotate the tires, fill up the fluids and put in the oil and filter I give him which costs me under $30 and that's a synthetic oil change with 8.5 quarts of oil.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

$59.95 Synthetic oil change, Toyota filter, tire rotation, Multi-point inspection, top off all fluids, check belts and hoses, inspect battery, inspect coolant.

Seems perfectly fine to me. However, down the road who knows what they will charge for the service since it's a coupon that expires.

Dealer service coupons do have expiration dates, but new one just keep on coming.
The guys doing this service are utility hourly lot guys, not techs.
The dealers want you in the door so that they can supplement the thin margins with gravy work like brakes and other higher margin services and repairs.
They also want you to browse the showroom and lot and be enticed into buying something new to replace your aging car, thus gaining them a new car sale as well as a trade they can make money on as a used car.

Toyota guy doesn't care he's being ripped off because he knows he's getting the best.
This scenario just sounds so correct

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

thumbsup2.gif

At one point the dealers were about the same price as those quick change places, but I think I went once and it took about 2 hours for them to do it so the wait wasn't worth it when you could take it anywhere else for about the same price and be done in less than an hour. But if I don't want to bother, I can give my indy $20 and he'll rotate the tires, fill up the fluids and put in the oil and filter I give him which costs me under $30 and that's a synthetic oil change with 8.5 quarts of oil.

I dropped it off in the morning, took their loaner to work, and picked it up after work.

I dropped it off in the morning, took their loaner to work, and picked it up after work.

Yeah, but did they charge you $20 for the whole thing?

To be perfectly honest.... $150-160 dollars for 3 oil changes is very reasonable. That's what I think was figured out in this case. Which is really not too shabby at all.

And I forgot... California is not expensive at all... My bad. I forget that
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

And northern Va... Is another place that doesn't represent the overwhelming majority of the rest of the state.... For a huge number of reasons. And it is ridiculously expensive to live in that overly inhabited area as well.

Last edited:
The Mercedes dealer is $300 for their Service A which is basically an oil change and they check a bunch of stuff and maybe new wipers and battery for the key fob. They have discounts on service once in a while too, maybe $50 off or 10% off. They do an exterior wash and vacuum the interior and I think you can also get a loaner or just hang out and get free snacks and a sandwich. Mine takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic and it's 10k oil change intervals. Never bothered going there for service A though. I think you can just get an oil change and it's $100.

$100 is around the price that Mercedes dealers around me charge. European independents also charge around $100 for oil changes for Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche etc.

My local Mercedes dealer is excellent. I once took advantage of a complimentary inspection and they pointed out a couple of minor things which they were correct to do so. No upselling.

The $100 oil change and complimentary inspection is how they and the independents want to win your trust and further business.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
The Mercedes dealer is $300 for their Service A which is basically an oil change and they check a bunch of stuff and maybe new wipers and battery for the key fob. They have discounts on service once in a while too, maybe $50 off or 10% off. They do an exterior wash and vacuum the interior and I think you can also get a loaner or just hang out and get free snacks and a sandwich. Mine takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic and it's 10k oil change intervals. Never bothered going there for service A though. I think you can just get an oil change and it's $100.

$100 is around the price that Mercedes dealers around me charge. European independents also charge around $100 for oil changes for Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche etc.

My local Mercedes dealer is excellent. I once took advantage of a complimentary inspection and they pointed out a couple of minor things which they were correct to do so. No upselling.

The $100 oil change and complimentary inspection is how they and the independents want to win your trust and further business.

Well the only annoying thing about an MB oil change is that they have a plastic shield under the car so you have to undo those bolts first to get at the drain plug. And then the drain plug is sideways so oil gets all over the under body when it first comes out. Still rather do it myself and spend under $30 for the synthetic oil and fleece filter. Or if I happen to be at the indy for something else, I'll just have them change the oil while I'm there. Not worth it to make a special appointment just for that when I can just change it whenever I have time. I've taken both cars to the dealer and each time they came up with 4-5k worth of work. Stuff like brakes, tires, etc. Some of it was vastly overpriced and some was borderline and others were cosmetic that I didn't feel like bothering with. Got the tires and brakes done much cheaper elsewhere and the borderline stuff I'm just keeping an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back