$150.00 Oil Change at Toyota Stealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a high end BMW or Mercedes car. My frined has a BMW 750 and they charge him around $800 for an oil change. I told him I would do it for $100 and he thought I was crazy. No one but the dealer is touching his car.

I agree with you Dave and Starman. There's more going on there than what it appeared to be. Like SatinSilver said it could have been 3 of them being done for that price. That makes sense as well.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Pajero
He explained that he always takes his Tacoma to the Toyota Dealer and they put the best in it for $150.00. He didn't know name brands. I asked him to repeat it and he confirmed $150.00.

If it's Larry Miller Toyota then they have a Pre-Paid Maintenance package for three oil changes at around $150. Maybe that's where the confusion is.

https://www.toyotaabq.com/specials/service.htm

Sounds right. Yes sir! I respect the guy, but it's his money. ^^^^This makes better sense. I sensed he didn't want to discuss it any further, so I let it go. He'a carpenter (very good) by trade and put's up Commercial Signs, welds etc. So, he should know how to change the oil.

I guess I was lucky, I was personal friend's with the Manager and lead mechanic at the Stealer for my Montero, many years ago.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Try a high end BMW or Mercedes car. My frined has a BMW 750 and they charge him around $800 for an oil change. I told him I would do it for $100 and he thought I was crazy. No one but the dealer is touching his car.

Nice ^^^^^out of my league! But, good for your friend! For the 750 that is.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Well, if they used "the best" syn oil and synthetic media oil filter, they didn't use anything Toyota branded.

Complete rip off, on trucks there is no reason to go to a dealer, with the clearance even a child can get the drain bolt out.

You need to see his invoice before you can pass judgement, otherwise it's just hearsay. The dealership has no defence, you've just heard you friend say this, and now you are at their throat. You need to have some backup in the form of hard data before you make accusations.

Local Toyota dealer charges $179 for their 0w20 minor service, the Lexus dealer is about $250.

$150 sounds average to me.

I know a guy that runs a business doing oil changes on Ferraris. He's expensive but a lot less than the dealer.

Hmmmm California prices strike again. That is just wild how things are price wise out there.

This thread should actually be named something else with your friends name and I.Q. in the title....if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Harsh. But funny.

My dealership/Hyundai Assurance sent me a flyer with $199.99 for 7,500-mile Intermediate Scheduled Maintenance which included an oil change with Valvoline Conventional, a bottle of Techron, a new cabin filter, and a tire rotation. It should have cost half as much. They also tested the battery. It looks like they would charged $100 for that.

The thing is there normal charge for oil change and tire rotation was $45. It made me laugh. But I wonder how many people fall for the expensive package?

I changed oil with PUP and OEM filter for less than $3.00. Had Techron in stock and an aftermarket cabin filter was less then $9.00. I rotated the tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Local Toyota dealer charges $179 for their 0w20 minor service, the Lexus dealer is about $250.

$150 sounds average to me.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmmm California prices strike again. That is just wild how things are price wise out there.

From my research, the servicing pricing in the SF Bay Area market is very similar to most other large metropolitan markets - such as Northern VA, NYC, etc.

(I guess Toyota is running a special - but I specifically recall their pricing for a minor service to be about $179.)

Traditionally, many drivers are accustomed to oil changes being a low-cost service. This is because oil changes were being done as loss-leaders. Techs get usually get paid .3 hr for an oil change or .5-.7 for an oil change and tire rotation. If you multiply the labor time by what the normal shop labor rate is ($125-$175/hr), you can see what I mean.

"A Veblen good is a luxury item whose price does not follow the usual laws of supply and demand. Usually, the higher the price of a particular good the less people will want it. For luxury goods, such as very expensive wines, watches or cars, however, the item becomes more desirable as it grows more expensive and less desirable should it drop in price. Veblen goods are named after the American economist and sociologist Thorstein Veblen who observed the desire for luxury living and coined the phrase conspicuous consumption in his paper The Theory of the Leisure Class published in 1899."

One of our good friends takes his Mustang into a jiffy lube place for a synthetic oil change. I want to say it's around $75 (because I'd always tell him I could do it for him for about half that and I'd just charge him for supplies) so this $150 isn't too far off IMO.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
My wife spends $150 at a high end hair salon cutting her hair because she like the person. It makes her happy. Of course there are plenty of other places that potentially can cut her hair for a fraction of price and potentially better. But it makes her happy.

Let your friend be happy.

How many vehicle service schedules specify to only change the engine oil and filter? I do not know a dealer that would only change the oil. A dealer is obliged to complete the logbook service and stamp the book. Different expectations I guess, a trip to the dealer here is for a logbook service and you'd expect to have the car back, washed and vacuumed.

Dealer servicing here is exceptionally expensive but people are prepared to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back