GM 5.3 Lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
It's not the end of the world to replace the lifters & delete the AFM altogether,

I do about 1 of these a month on average, Annoying ticks, Misfires & oil consumption are eliminated!!

How much does the parts bill usually come out to ?

SF

Around $850 including the Tune, ARP manifold bolts & Oil/Filter. I don't mark the parts up on a job like this because I beat the [censored] out of book time. And, I only charge for changing the head gaskets not R&R on the lifters & valley cover.

If the truck needs exhaust manifold or intake manifold gaskets......I charge cost for those as well.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I do about 1 of these a month on average, Annoying ticks, Misfires & oil consumption are eliminated!!

How often do you see destroyed camshaft lobes from the AFM lifters, which are collapsed, bouncing up and down between the camshaft lobes and the pushrods?

Not many at all..... I see MORE Non-AFM lifters damage camshafts! Keep in mind that AFM lifters have damper springs on them that keeps the lifter "roller" in contact with the lobe even if they fail/collapse.

There are many myths about AFM....

*Oil Pressure is applied to a separate camber in the lifter that forces the plunger to collapse. Many believe the "Pump-Up/Lash control" oil is cut-off to the lifter....Not True.

Keep in mind that AFM lifters have damper springs on them that keeps the lifter "roller" in contact with the lobe even if they fail/collapse.

I did not know that. Interesting. Thank You.

How often do you see destroyed camshaft lobes from the AFM lifters, which are collapsed, bouncing up and down between the camshaft lobes and the pushrods?

Not many at all..... I see MORE Non-AFM lifters damage camshafts! Keep in mind that AFM lifters have damper springs on them that keeps the lifter "roller" in contact with the lobe even if they fail/collapse.

There are many myths about AFM....

*Oil Pressure is applied to a separate camber in the lifter that forces the plunger to collapse. Many believe the "Pump-Up/Lash control" oil is cut-off to the lifter....Not True.

Have you had any issues out of 2014+? Currently own (paying off anyways) a 2017 5.3

Keep in mind that AFM lifters have damper springs on them that keeps the lifter "roller" in contact with the lobe even if they fail/collapse.

I did not know that. Interesting. Thank You.

I forgot one important piece of information......The damper spring will keep the roller in contact within reason! If you rev the engine above about 3,800 rpm with the lifter collapsed, The lifter will start to launch off the lobe & slam back down on the base circle. If someone is doing that with a dead hole....They deserve what happens!

Also the reason for AFM activation being RPM limited along with being Load limited.

Originally Posted By: Bxnanaz

Have you had any issues out of 2014+? Currently own (paying off anyways) a 2017 5.3

I have not encountered issues with any Gen V engine. The Gen V's are designed with AFM from the start! Gen IV engines are just Gen III engines with AFM added to them.

I don't mean to make a big deal of this......NOT every Gen IV AFM engine will have a problem, BUT....If it does, It's cheaper to delete it!!

Originally Posted By: johnD2
Can anyone recommend a good set of lifters for a rebuild ? 4.8 / 5.3

LS7 style GM part# 12499225......Technically a GM Performance Parts number, Can be had cheap from Summit Racing. If you go to a dealership parts counter.....They will try to sell you each lifter separately for more money.

Same with Head Bolts! Buy the GMPP set 12498545 ('97-'03), You need 2 sets.

Thank you very much !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back