0% credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
I often wondered if you could keep on transfering balances to new cards to avoid making payments?

Theres probably a limit.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I often wondered if you could keep on transfering balances to new cards to avoid making payments?

Theres probably a limit.
There maybe but you would never know. You cannot do this when the banks on the cards are the same.

I've been doing this for 20 years. Only got cornered one time and had to take the interest hit. But it was only on the amount still owed. You still are bound to minimum payments on the new account. It's not a 90 days same as cash type agreement (that I also use) where all the interest is due if not paid off in time.

I really don't see applying for a new card every year as a "cost". It doesn't seen to give my credit score a hit even though the "hard inquires" are recorded and stay three years or so.

I generally apply once a year for a new offer and also go though every year and cancel several accounts. Probably have had 100+ credit card accounts over the years. Got the best credit rating I've ever had even with the hit in income from retiring. 826 for a new high today.

Everyone should get their free credit reports from the credit agencies every year and go over them. I'm sure if you never have there are issues that should be addressed. Credit Karma and Credit Sesame are places you can monitor your credit and get the free reports.

Impossible to do, you have to make monthly payments every month no matter what company you choose.
In addition you have to pay a 3% fee every time you transfer.

Over time your credit score would turn to garbage and you would find those low interest rates no longer offered to you, never mind that fact that you would be paying 3% every time you switch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Impossible to do, you have to make monthly payments every month no matter what company you choose.

Over time your credit score would turn to garbage and you would find those low interest rates no longer offered to you, never mind that fact that you would be paying 3% every time you switch.
Not all 0% balance transfer offers have the 3% cost. As long as you keep the cards current as far as payments and be careful of your total credit limits vs total credit limit usage percentage ratio, the added credit card accounts can actually help your credit rating.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Not all 0% balance transfer offers have the 3% cost. As long as you keep the cards current as far as payments and be careful of your total credit limits vs total credit limit usage percentage ratio, the added credit card accounts can actually help your credit rating.

It's very rare to find one that doesn't have a balance transfer fee. Now that I think of it, even when the balance transfer fee was free, the interest rate wasn't 0, it was something like 2-3% so at least they still made some money. Also interest starts accruing the day that you actually use it if it's not a 0% rate.

Grampi should just go ahead and do it. The only drawback is whether you're disciplined enough to either pay it off by the time it ends or be able to switch the remaining balance to a new card at the end of the promo. I did it back in the 90's, had an 8% car loan and then just put the balance on the credit card. Paid it off in 2 years but had to switch to a 2nd card at one point as back then the promo was only 12-14 months, the rate back then might been the 2-3%.

The offers you get do depend on your credit score
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Navy Federal just sent me an offer with 0% and 0 transfer fee....

My brother also gets these offers from Navy Federal Credit Union.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Just replying the question, impossible for him to do.

As far as the 3% fee, true, some waive that fee but there is almost always a fee involved, be it interest or the 3%, in some cases 5% fee.
The ones with the lowest fees will have the best credit scores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Navy Federal just sent me an offer with 0% and 0 transfer fee....

Yes, I also see also Barclay Ring offers this.
I dont run balances, I do have a Barclay ring card but my rate is 10% if i ran a balance, kind of funny in this free 0% 0 interest for 13 months its over 13% at the end.
Still a good deal BUT ANY CREDIT CARD DEBT IS A BAD DEAL, Cash rules.
Click here where I found the story

To be honest and why I say any debt is bad debt, the cost of having debt if higher even if you take a 0% 0 fee card.
Here is why.

EVERYTHING and ANYTHING my wife and I purchase, we purchase with a credit card. We NEVER run a balance.

However, our credit card companies PAY us for using the cards! In fact they compete with each other who can give us the most money for using the cards.

Your credit card company will not pay you if you take a so called "free loan offer" so you are still losing money on EVERY purchase.

Every purchase my wife and I make our credit cards pay us 2% to 5% on every dollar we spend, they pay us hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year, maybe close to $1000.00, ummm maybe $750.00 .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe Grampi should call Navy Credit Union for mor info...

I've decided to just pay off the card I have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back