by Patman
Today at 06:21 PM
No older cars in New York State?
by Oldtom
Today at 06:19 PM
2009 Taurus strut mount noise
by terry274
Today at 04:38 PM
A3/B3 vs A3/B4, big difference or irrelevant?
by FordCapriDriver
Today at 03:36 PM
2003 Honda power steering problem
by hogpops
Today at 03:29 PM
Public Service Announcement: Flush Your HW Heater
by gathermewool
Today at 03:25 PM
Fellow 2AZ-FE toyota owners: what oil are you usin
by car51
Today at 03:21 PM
Castrol 0W40 vs 5W40??
by Realfine69
Today at 03:02 PM
Paint impurities on a new car
by Quattro Pete
Today at 02:49 PM
2014 Ram wheel FIT on a 2005 Ram?
by SumpChump
Today at 02:41 PM
Do people buy from telemarketers?
by Chris142
Today at 02:06 PM
TGMO 0W20, 8100km/5mo, 2013 Lexus GS350AWD 118K KM
by David_Corbett
Today at 01:54 PM
Sonoma Raceway
by Warstud
Today at 01:51 PM
Zipcode error
by aquariuscsm
Today at 01:36 PM
NHRA drag racing Racing question??
by daddi
Today at 01:33 PM
Milesyn 5w30 5 gal pails $50.94 w/prime
by Samrsnow
Today at 01:20 PM
Removing Broken Bathtub Drain
by Warstud
Today at 01:15 PM
Newest Members
crrider, EdDmax, 2018matto, Lancruza, IanSampson
65312 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (bbhero, Berny, 55hambone, aquariuscsm, A310, 69Torino, 9 invisible), 1544 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65312 Members
67 Forums
285932 Topics
4771661 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4622877 - 01/03/18 03:33 PM PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP)
Linctex Offline

Loc: Waco, TX
I sure do learn a lot from y'all - - I love the technical discussions.

I'm curious:
After this thread (Mobil 1 AnnProt primarily 0w-20 based thread)
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4622850/

I would like to know:
How does primarily PAO-based 0W-20 or 5w-20 (Mobil 1 EP or AP?) oil properties compared to GTL? (Pennz P.U.P. 0W-20 or 5w-20)

There's a lot to consider....HTHS, NOACK, etc. etc.....

I know it's impossible to determine anti-wear additive recipes, etc. etc. etc....

I'm not really concerned about "everyday, light-duty commuter work".
I wonder how they would do in "extreme/severe duty" (very high piston ring temps, for example)

Any thoughts?

#4622905 - 01/03/18 04:03 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
MolaKule Offline

Loc: Iowegia - USA
I think the GTL compares very well to PAO, but no finished oil formulation today contains ONLY PAO or GTL or Group III, or Group II.

I wish people would understand this and get off this "one base oil" only mentality.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/

Edited by MolaKule (01/03/18 04:05 PM)

#4622937 - 01/03/18 04:43 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
BrocLuno Offline

Loc: Kalifornia Kollective
I'm to dumb to play a 2 base stringed instrument smirk

OTOH - it seems to be an uphill battle to get folks to see that ALL oils short of jet engine lubes are a blend that includes dino. The "Synthetic" guys just don't get that they have a significant percentage of dino as a carrier for the add pak coffee

Edited by BrocLuno (01/03/18 04:44 PM)

#4622957 - 01/03/18 05:10 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: BrocLuno]
Cujet Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The "Synthetic" guys just don't get that they have a significant percentage of dino as a carrier for the add pak

And yet conventional oil continues to result in stuck piston rings, clogged oil ring drain holes, coked turbo and oil lines, along with the associated varnish and sludge.

The quality synthetics avoid all of this.

#4622980 - 01/03/18 05:32 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
hemitruck Offline

Loc: new jersey
I thought the base was a highly refined Dino base as compared to reg conventional!.

#4623005 - 01/03/18 05:58 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: MolaKule]
Linctex Offline

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
no finished oil formulation today contains ONLY PAO or GTL or Group III, or Group II.

I really wasn't trying to insinuate this...

I did use the word "based" hoping no one would assume I referring to 100% make-up.

I'm curious to know which properties are comparable/similar between the two,
...and which properties seem to be opposite of each other (if that's even possible)

#4623007 - 01/03/18 06:01 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: MolaKule]
Linctex Offline

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I wish people would understand this and get off this "one base oil" only mentality.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/

I think for the sake of a scientific discussion,
I'd like to know some of the "deeper" characteristics & parameters of each type of blending stock...

...rather than all the other "relatively generic" info that gets parroted repeatedly through the threads.

#4623075 - 01/03/18 07:19 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
Bryanccfshr Offline

Loc: Durango, Co
This article goes into a little comparison.
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/sep-2014/uncertainty-ahead-for-base-stocks

An Intersting point, the automotive demand for low viscosity basestock is straining the supply chain of PAO. GTL production at the time of publication was not high enough to close that gap.
GTL seems to have similar but more controlled NOACK volatility over PAO
GTL and grp III+ Seem to outperform PAO in viscosity index while
PAO has an advantage in pour point.

In a fully formulated oil this is all a bunch of hokey, the whole is greater than the sum of individual parts.

#4623150 - 01/03/18 08:57 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Bryanccfshr]
Sylvatica Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Interesting article, thanks.

#4623155 - 01/03/18 09:08 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Bryanccfshr]
Linctex Offline

http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/sep-2014/uncertainty-ahead-for-base-stocks
An interesting point, the automotive demand for low viscosity basestock is straining the supply chain of PAO.
GTL production at the time of publication was not high enough to close that gap.

.....and it's been several years now. I just first heard of GTL for the first time maybe 2 years ago.

In a fully formulated oil this is all a bunch of hokey, the whole is greater than the sum of individual parts.

Hypothetical:

Let's say you are a chemical engineer and a CLS. (R.I.P. George)

You get hired by say..... Ashland oil, and your new job is to develop a synthetic oil product
that will be marketed as a peer against Pennz Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 Extended Performance
(I chose these two as they seem to be exceedingly popular. Sorry Castrol fans).

You can choose any basestocks and additives you wish to choose - - Including PAO and GTL.

Here's the hard answer - they are both so good, what would you choose to blend with, and why?

#4623157 - 01/03/18 09:12 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
BrocLuno Offline

With the supposed test being Ashland - I think we have the answer in Synpower laugh

#4623167 - 01/03/18 09:18 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Cujet]
BrocLuno Offline

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The "Synthetic" guys just don't get that they have a significant percentage of dino as a carrier for the add pak

And yet conventional oil continues to result in stuck piston rings, clogged oil ring drain holes, coked turbo and oil lines, along with the associated varnish and sludge.

The quality synthetics avoid all of this.

See here's the problem I have with that premise. We have coked turbos - really with correctly configured drains? How about all the millions of OTR trucks with turbos running cherry red on good old dino HDEO with OCI at 20,000 miles ... Clogged oil ring drains, seems to be related to some makes and to a world of Jiffy Lube oil changes. Are you sure that would have happened on a premium dino, or just bulk oil ...

There are obviously good dinos (Delo, Delvac, etc.) and bad dinos. There are good synthetics and I'm sure there are bad ones too. Up to the operator to buy the appropriate oil. Just the synthetic is not going to protect anyone ...

#4623191 - 01/03/18 09:39 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: BrocLuno]
Linctex Offline

With the supposed test being Ashland - I think we have the answer in Synpower laugh

It's just the first name that popped in my head wink

#4623232 - 01/03/18 10:10 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
Bryanccfshr Offline

Loc: Durango, Co
Originally Posted By: Linctex
An interesting point, the automotive demand for low viscosity basestock is straining the supply chain of PAO.
GTL production at the time of publication was not high enough to close that gap.

.....and it's been several years now. I just first heard of GTL for the first time maybe 2 years ago.

Hypothetical:

You get hired by say..... Ashland oil, and your new job is to develop a synthetic oil product
that will be marketed as a peer against Pennz Ultra Platinum and Mobil 1 Extended Performance

You can choose any basestocks and additives you wish to choose - - Including PAO and GTL.

Here's the hard answer - they are both so good, what would you choose to blend with, and why?

You left budget out of the question. Competitive pricing for a performance standard is the name of the game. A developer can always over engineer a product a machine or a building for the targeted performance target.
Being able to meet the performance target in a budget range is more financially rewarding than developing the best possible oil ever. Itís easy to develo0 the best ever, not many people are willing to pay for the cost differential in the final,
Product that would be marginally different (most likely unmeasurable or noticeable tothe consumer) than a more cost competitive product.
If my career was on the line I would design a product to compete on production cost as well as performance.

The best possible product is probably out there..but does it provide a material difference to performance that you would be willing to pay for?
For most applicationsm I would bet people would say no. And most those who would agree to pay more for absolute best, donít actually require it but have personal reasons.

Edited by Bryanccfshr (01/03/18 10:17 PM)

#4623234 - 01/03/18 10:14 PM Re: PAO properties compared to GTL? (Pennz PUP) [Re: Linctex]
Nyogtha Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Hypothetical:

Ashland no longer has any ownership interest in petroleum refining and lubricating oils.

Marathon purchased Ashland's interest in the Marathon Ashland JV last decade. Marathon Petroleum sold the former Ashland St. Paul Park refinery, which is now owned by Andeavor after passing through a few owners. Marathon Petroleum still owns the former Ashland refineries at Catlettsburg, KY & Canton, OH. Only these 3 Ashland refineries were still operating in 1998 when the Marathon Ashland JV was formed; Ashland had 8 refineries at one point in time prior to that.

Ashland spun Valvoline off as a wholly seperate entity a few years ago.

Ashland specified Ashland wished to focus on less capital intensive businesses.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >