Recent Topics
A3/B3 vs A3/B4, big difference or irrelevant?
by FordCapriDriver
6 minutes 40 seconds ago
2003 Honda power steering problem
by hogpops
13 minutes 29 seconds ago
Public Service Announcement: Flush Your HW Heater
by gathermewool
17 minutes 35 seconds ago
Fellow 2AZ-FE toyota owners: what oil are you usin
by car51
21 minutes 17 seconds ago
Castrol 0W40 vs 5W40??
by Realfine69
40 minutes 24 seconds ago
Paint impurities on a new car
by Quattro Pete
53 minutes 26 seconds ago
2014 Ram wheel FIT on a 2005 Ram?
by SumpChump
Today at 02:41 PM
Do people buy from telemarketers?
by Chris142
Today at 02:06 PM
TGMO 0W20, 8100km/5mo, 2013 Lexus GS350AWD 118K KM
by David_Corbett
Today at 01:54 PM
Sonoma Raceway
by Warstud
Today at 01:51 PM
Zipcode error
by aquariuscsm
Today at 01:36 PM
NHRA drag racing Racing question??
by daddi
Today at 01:33 PM
Milesyn 5w30 5 gal pails $50.94 w/prime
by Samrsnow
Today at 01:20 PM
Removing Broken Bathtub Drain
by Warstud
Today at 01:15 PM
Buffer Pads
by TheLawnRanger
Today at 01:10 PM
Recommend an oil to me... Pennz, M1, Castrol...?
by chinee
Today at 12:39 PM
Filter for Hydro Gear ZT2800 - Toyota???
by Lancruza
Today at 12:39 PM
Motul 5W30, 3000KM/12 mo, 06 Acura RSX-S 161K KM
by lemaitrix
Today at 12:38 PM
DeWalt dcf887b 3spd impact driver
by JC1
Today at 12:34 PM
Grit guard wash board
by JC1
Today at 12:22 PM
Newest Members
crrider, EdDmax, 2018matto, Lancruza, IanSampson
65312 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (BAJA_05, 1JZ_E46, Artem, Astro14, AZjeff, 55Test, 4 invisible), 1555 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65312 Members
67 Forums
285926 Topics
4771479 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4610940 - 12/22/17 07:18 AM So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane?
CincyDavid Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA
The discussion about flights in a P51 got me thinking...it must be pretty straightforward to learn to fly a common plane, but what about a P51, or a P38, or what about some oddball, say a ME262 (don't know if any are flying, just pulled it out of a hat). How would someone learn how to fly a rare bird, without killing themselves and destroying the plane?

Will we reach a point where there is nobody alive who can successfully fly some of these rare planes, especially older ones?
17 VW Jetta SE black

#4610951 - 12/22/17 07:34 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
Taildragger Offline

Loc: SW Florida
RTFM. Actually there is quiet a wealth of knowledge out there. BTW, there are a couple of ME-262s flying. Think that they are new production with modern engines.
Couple of airplanes

#4610953 - 12/22/17 07:37 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
fenixguy Offline

Loc: NC
I'm not a pilot, just an aviation enthusiast. You have to remember, every aircraft's first flight was with a pilot with 0 hours experience on the airframe. So you take it slow and learn, I would imagine.
'00 Civic LX-PYB/Fram UG

#4610963 - 12/22/17 07:51 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
46Harry Offline

Loc: hawthorne, Ca.
I learned to fly more years ago than I care to remember in an old Piper J3 Cub. Flying more complex airplanes such as the Mustang or P38 is like learning to drive a big truck. It is an acquired skill that some people excel at and others have problems or can't do it at all. Most Mustangs flying now are dual seat so a pilot that is new to the airplane will fly with an experienced instructor to gain the skill needed to fly the airplane safely.

#4610968 - 12/22/17 08:02 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
Cujet Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
Of course, flying by V speeds is critical. However, nearly all aircraft fly the same way, so once you are up and flying, any competent pilot can fly nearly anything. Because of my job, I get to fly a very wide variety of aircraft. I am not God's gift to aviation. I consider myself a novice in everything until I get years of experience.

For instance, putting a private pilot in our EC135 helicopter would be no problem, once it's up and flying. Hover, approach and landing is another story. In that case, the private pilot would need hours and hours of training and very specific instruction as to what's happening and why. The manual would never cover it.

So, if one were transported to a universe where there was zero experience, difficult to fly aircraft would take some serious, slow and dedicated effort.

#4611080 - 12/22/17 10:17 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
wings&wheels Offline

Loc: New England, USA
Don't forget the rather demanding trainers made for transitioning to those aircraft; T6/Harvard/SNJ, Vultee "Vibrator"...can't remember the German one...Taifun?

I have had the pleasure of flying a T6..."unforgiving" comes to mind...but some of my favorite hours in the air.
'72 Land Rover Series III 88"
'99 Porsche 996/'01 Boxster S (Wife's...)
Pa28-236

#4611092 - 12/22/17 10:26 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: Cujet]
maximus Offline

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Of course, flying by V speeds is critical. However, nearly all aircraft fly the same way, so once you are up and flying, any competent pilot can fly nearly anything.

This right here. If you can fly a cessna 150, you can fly a widebody boeing.

A P-51 is just a high performance tail tragger, nonetheless.

#4611101 - 12/22/17 10:39 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
OneEyeJack Offline

Loc: S California
If you have reasonable eyesight and health than all you have to do it want to fly bad enough to just do it. There is a learning curve and a sort of apprenticeship one must serve as you move up to bigger and better things.

I learned to fly in a J3 that you had to "prop" to start. In high school, I traded work for instruction and flying time. Your first solo flight is something you'll always remember. Once you've started it's up to you how far you go.

#4611135 - 12/22/17 11:09 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: maximus]
CT8 Offline

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: maximus
Of course, flying by V speeds is critical. However, nearly all aircraft fly the same way, so once you are up and flying, any competent pilot can fly nearly anything.

This right here. If you can fly a cessna 150, you can fly a widebody boeing.
My neighbor was a Naval Aviator and recently retired as as major airline pilot and he said the same thing about flying. First you learn to fly then you learn how to fly the plane. Big jets have lots of switches and knobs to learn. I spent some time drinking coffee in a 747 cockpit and some time in a Cessna 152 and the 747 would be quite an upgrade in skill.

#4611145 - 12/22/17 11:19 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: Cujet]
Linctex Offline

Loc: Waco, TX

For instance, putting a private pilot in (nearly any aircraft already flying straight and level) would be no problem, once it's up and flying. Hover, approach and landing is another story. In that case, the private pilot would need hours and hours of training and very specific instruction as to what's happening and why.

There, I fixed it for you grin

#4611150 - 12/22/17 11:23 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
Linctex Offline

Loc: Waco, TX
The degree of fly-ability depends a LOT (or entirely) on the dynamic stability of the aircraft.

Cessnas and big Boeings are all pretty stable, and are forgiving of "stupid" inputs.

You can't take a low hours pilot and expect them to fly a Gee Bee or Cassutt without almost certainly killing himself.

The only way a pilot can fly an unstable ("touchy" or "finicky") aircraft is have them work up in steps.

#4611251 - 12/22/17 12:57 PM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
i_hate_autofraud Offline

Loc: Canada

My dad flew for years on several types of planes. The allowable flight parameters and procedures for each are unique and critical.

You needed to book learn the details for a plane and know it until it's second nature before take off, if stuff happens, you have to
know in real time what to do or you're dead.

If you have 3 totally different planes and you jump from one to another in the same day, you're ripe for an accident!
You need totally adjust your mindset from say, a 'King Air' turboprop to a 'Cessna 172' and not screw up.

Killer example:

Unlike most civilian planes, you can fly and land during an engine failure. BUT if you're in a BD-5 plane and the
engine quits, it'll nose-up into an instant stall! You have a fraction of a second to nose it over and maintain airspeed!

Why?

As a pusher prop plane, the thrust-line of the engine is way over the wings and the CL of the plane, when the engine dies
the prop creates drag, no thrust, so it noses up right away! Test pilots nearly died several times until they figured that out.

So if you have a Cessna pilot in the cockpit of a 747 without knowing ALL the operating limits, cruise numbers, you can easily
bugger it all up!

A pal runs a microlight strip, he says, it's the pilots of regular planes most likely to have an accident, the microlights
require a totally different touch and more patience!

#4611571 - 12/22/17 06:36 PM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
maximus Offline

Loc: TX
Stick and rudder skills are fundamental and applicable to just about all fixed wing types. Obviously learning systems and llimitations are critical to safe operation. This is why the FAA requires a type rating for aircraft over 12500lbs mtow OR anything with turnbojet(fan) engines.

This is why a pilot can transition from a cessna or piper straight to a regional jet.

#4612697 - 12/24/17 05:37 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: CincyDavid]
billt460 Offline

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Remember most of the P-51 and P-47 pilots during WW II were little more than kids. Many were under the age of 21, or barely a year or 2 over that. Most had minimum hours, and what little training they had was in Stearman's and AT-6's and the like. Those big radial tail draggers were not the most forgiving aircraft to fly. They learned, and learned fast.

They had to, we were at war. But all those airplanes were not only plentiful back then, they were owned by the government. Who also sold the paper War Bonds, and owned the printing presses that printed the money to buy them. Today with privately restored P-51 D Mustangs selling north of $1 MILLION, there would no doubt be a LOT more training involved..... Expensive training. Today P-51 Mustangs cost in the neighborhood of $1,500.00 an hour to operate.

#4612798 - 12/24/17 08:25 AM Re: So how does one learn how to fly an unusual plane? [Re: billt460]
cjcride Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: billt460
Remember most of the P-51 and P-47 pilots during WW II were little more than kids. Many were under the age of 21, or barely a year or 2 over that. Most had minimum hours, and what little training they had was in Stearman's and AT-6's and the like. Those big radial tail draggers were not the most forgiving aircraft to fly. They learned, and learned fast.

They had to, we were at war. But all those airplanes were not only plentiful back then, they were owned by the government. Who also sold the paper War Bonds, and owned the printing presses that printed the money to buy them. Today with privately restored P-51 D Mustangs selling north of $1 MILLION, there would no doubt be a LOT more training involved..... Expensive training. Today P-51 Mustangs cost in the neighborhood of $1,500.00 an hour to operate.
A lot of eye opening info in 1 post.
Thanks for posting

Edited by cjcride (12/24/17 08:26 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >