Honda K24 and oil burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Yep. And if it's using a quart in 5,000 miles, why worry? Just keep topping it off and install a new Honda PCV valve.

Bingo! It will go 300k. The tranny won’t.

Mine is running out of time to grenade then
cool.gif

No, all K24s will eventually burn oil. 1 qt every 5k is pretty good. Some drink a lot more than that. The one in my signature drinks about 1 qt every 4k. Do not bother replacing the PCV, it won't help. Just keep adding oil.

Wifey's 2006 TSX (K24) just hit 170K. M-1 oil changes about 6K miles since new. I never check the oil.
I use 5w20 High Milage now. All good.

I will also echo the aforementioned statements of those who agree that K24s burn oil. They just simply do at higher mileage.

136k over here and about a quart per 4k. It happens. But they do run good.

If they run good, and don't consume 1qt per 400-500 miles... seems like all is well in the world.

Some can be oil burners, but that amount of oil on a 172K mile engine isn't high consumption in my opinion. Just keep it topped off to keep that timing chain happy.

Just curious, when did you start noticing the oil burning?

I have 120k on my '07 Element with the K24 and I've never had oil consumption issues, nor have I replaced the PCV valve. I tend to push my OCIs to 8-10K. Knowing I've never had consumption issues, I'm relatively lax on checking the oil level (at least for a member on this site...), but I wonder if I should step it up.

Not gonna hurt it to burn 1 qt. per 5,000. Try a 30,if you wish,when it starts to warm up down here and see how your car "likes" it.

You are just wasting oil (and money) by changing it at %60. Sorry but over doing oil changes doesn't work. Your car still burns oil, which is not excessive though. I'd just top it off and drive it until you see %0. Honda's MM is conservative enough you will be safe with fully syn.

Just change PCV valve and get some HM xw30 - Euro 0w40 or Rotella 5w40 and see if it makes things better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Just curious, when did you start noticing the oil burning?

I have 120k on my '07 Element with the K24 and I've never had oil consumption issues, nor have I replaced the PCV valve. I tend to push my OCIs to 8-10K. Knowing I've never had consumption issues, I'm relatively lax on checking the oil level (at least for a member on this site...), but I wonder if I should step it up.

It’s been doing it for a while now.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
You are just wasting oil (and money) by changing it at %60. Sorry but over doing oil changes doesn't work. Your car still burns oil, which is not excessive though. I'd just top it off and drive it until you see %0. Honda's MM is conservative enough you will be safe with fully syn.

Just change PCV valve and get some HM xw30 - Euro 0w40 or Rotella 5w40 and see if it makes things better.

When you dump in new oil the additive package is "renewed". The oil in the sump is made a bit better by the new oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back