why extended OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't M1 do a marketing thing about taxi's and EDI's? Thought there was a video on it? After like 200k miles they tore it down and what not?

No argument that you can go crazy miles on oil. To get every pinch of your penny's worth of money out of every drop. I just would rather not risk it. Oil is cheap now a days, and everyone has different type of cars, different weather they drive in and different driving style.

Like the saying "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure". Changing oil often is prevention. I do every 5k miles on over the counter synthetics or once a year, whatever comes first. I dont drive that much anymore and have several cars I drive around, so I end up changing the oil about 1-2 times a year. No biggy.

Just how I see things.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Yes.

I'm afraid to tell you that just isn't the case.
Some engines are well known to develop serious oil leakage down their valve guides while most don't.
This has nothing at all to do with oil used or drain intervals.
It's simply a matter of design and materials selection.
Ask any owner of an older engine from a certain Japanese maker.

Very good post Jeffs2006EvolX. You hit the nail on the head. I change the lady's Camry every 3200-3400 miles. It is the 98 Camry 2.2 motor. It can go longer I am sure but how these motors are with oil I just figure what the hey. Better to be shorter than longer with that little car.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It was 10,000 km (6,000 miles) on conventional of the day, like around the SE to SH days.

6,000 miles? ok I'll remember it this time.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
6,000 miles? ok I'll remember it this time.

And not one went to the junkyard because of the engine.
wink.gif
They all were running just find, with hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Why do some car owners try to get the last mile out of a oil change?
Compared to engine damage from dirty oil, they are not that costly.
Even a low price oil and filter changed at 5-8K is better than extending any oil/filter combination. The whole point of a oil change is to get the dirty oil out and clean oil in, right?

I agree with the UOA group, that is the only way to know when oil needs to be replaced.
That mileage is different for every car (even if the same model), because of different driving habits, etc.

Even with a UOA at a high mile interval, it would be better to put the UOA cost into a fresh oil change.
When in doubt, change it out.

Now I wait for the posts to correct my skewed reasoning !

I fell into the UOA group. Had 2004 Sierra that I just got rid of back in Jan that went to 306K miles and ran like new. Used Mobil 1 the entire time, originally 5K intervals, then stretched to OLM intervals (more like 7500 miles) and after discovering Blackstone UOA I went up to 10K and never had issues for the last 100K miles or so. I did UOA once a year.

Wife's 2012 Cadillac SRX came off maintenance plan a year ago and I decided to change oil following OLM but wasn't too concerned going a little past that based on what I had experienced in the past doing UOA on previous vehicles. BIG MISTAKE. Never assume anything! Just had issue where OLM got down to 0% and was probably another 2-3 weeks before we got it into the dealership. No big deal or so I thought since wife only drives couple hundred miles a week. 3-4 days before we got it in for the oil change check engine came on and I likely have two sludged up VVT solenoids based on the codes and other reading I have done. Solenoids are $50 each but look like absolute PITA to change on this vehicle. With young kids I don't have the free time to deal with it.

So, as you say, when in doubt change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back