why extended OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
These guys get some kind of macho high by pushing their engine oil to 10,000 miles. It's dumb as heck.

I'd rather take my engine apart someday to find that it's spotless. Much more satisfaction that way.

Seriously? The oil is not being "pushed" to anything.

One of my 3.5 liter cars uses the same amount of oil as my 8.1 liter boat. Last OLM recommendation came at 12,200 into OCI. Still isn't a BIT of varnish or sludge in that engine.

Hard to convince people that oil doesn't magically turn to sludge in 5k miles. Myth and legend run deep in society. Sure some engines need shorter OCI'S BUT not most. You also don't need to eat 3 times per day in our obese country but that won't change anytime soon either.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Hard to convince people that oil doesn't magically turn to sludge in 5k miles. Myth and legend run deep in society. Sure some engines need shorter OCI'S BUT not most. You also don't need to eat 3 times per day in our obese country but that won't change anytime soon either.

Your right, but thats the thing. How do you know that your car would benefit from a 5k oil change instead of a 10 or 15k one? You wont know till 100k miles later. If you dont keep the car that long? Who cares. But Oil is cheap now a days. Talk to mechanics that tear engines down, not people who sell oil or go by UOA's. Just follow the OEM's Recommendations. That Simple. Or more frequently if you want to. VW states 10k miles, I do 5k. My Choice.

Oil Changes cost me maybe $30 with 5qts Castrol Edge and an OEM filter. I do this every 5k miles. I know the engine is going to be fine for a very long time and not Hope it will be.

Just me. Do as you like.

I dont eat 3 times a day either. haha. Not all Americans are Fat. See where this is going? haha.

Jeff

Last edited:
I've crawled under too many cars for too many years and get no joy in doing so, but I find it necessary due to sloppy work at dealers and quick lube places. I used to do 5,000 mile OCIs on dino but decided to extend to 7,500/1yr with synthetic. With rebates, the synthetic is no more expensive than dino.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
There are plenty of oils today to go well past 10,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.
Can you promise me that they will go 10,000 miles without causing the faintest indication of varnish staining for every engine on the planet? And before you answer that, keep in mind that if you're wrong, lightning will strike you.
The troll runs deep with you Merk. Do your own research and make up your own mind. I have extended OCIs past 10K and there was no varnish in any of my engines--my 2010 FX4 with 10-17K OCIs was spotless at 158K when I traded it. Others here have done the same with the same results--but for some, even with all of the proof in the world, they will still be embedded with legacy 3K or 5K OCIs, because "oil is cheap, engines are not" or "oil is cheap insurance" or some other such nonsense. Moreover, **most** of these people never keep an engine long enough for it to matter anyway, but to each his or her own.

There are plenty of oils today to go well past 10,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.
Can you promise me that they will go 10,000 miles without causing the faintest indication of varnish staining for every engine on the planet? And before you answer that, keep in mind that if you're wrong, lightning will strike you.
The troll runs deep with you Merk. Do your own research and make up your own mind. I have extended OCIs past 10K and there was no varnish in any of my engines--my 2010 FX4 with 10-17K OCIs was spotless at 158K when I traded it. Others here have done the same with the same results--but for some, even with all of the proof in the world, they will still be embedded with legacy 3K or 5K OCIs, because "oil is cheap, engines are not" or "oil is cheap insurance" or some other such nonsense. Moreover, **most** of these people never keep an engine long enough for it to matter anyway, but to each his or her own.

Lets see some pics or it didn't happen. haha

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Lets see some pics or it didn't happen. haha
No pictures, I made all of it up. No UOAs either.

Just messing with you
cheers3.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Why do some car owners try to get the last mile out of a oil change?
Compared to engine damage from dirty oil, they are not that costly.
Even a low price oil and filter changed at 5-8K is better than extending any oil/filter combination. The whole point of a oil change is to get the dirty oil out and clean oil in, right?

I agree with the UOA group, that is the only way to know when oil needs to be replaced.
That mileage is different for every car (even if the same model), because of different driving habits, etc.

Even with a UOA at a high mile interval, it would be better to put the UOA cost into a fresh oil change.
When in doubt, change it out.

Now I wait for the posts to correct my skewed reasoning !

With you 100% on this. In the US oil is dirt cheap so unless I am looking for something specific like water or excess fuel I don't frig around with UOA I just change the oil.
I don't get using dino either to save a buck a qt then stretch it out to the last mile. I can almost see it in Europe where a top shelf synthetic can cost $100 a gallon but $30 or less for 5 qts is lunacy IMO.

The problem for me is I can replace the oil and filter using premium stuff for less than the cost of a UOA.

Now some might say instead of changing oil say at 6k miles such as our last OCI on our van I could do a UOA and if its good, go to 10k.

The problem is, of the 6k miles done this last oci 2k of it was put on in 10 days on a long trip, and there were other longer trips than usual.

This OCI will be over the winter with many shorter trips and maybe a few 200 mile trips.

So even if it looked like I could go 10k last time, does not mean I could go 10k this time.

Now in a commuter vehicle, that's a different story. If its driven the same way all the time UOA can help extend intervals longer I feel.

I do it because oil is gangster expensive here for the most part, sales are far few between, and because I drive a ton of miles for work it's out of convenience. I will let the engine break in and keep a modest OCI for the first 5 or so oil changes and then I run consecutive labs to find the limit of the oil in my engine. Once I know this I back it off a tad from the absolute limit and then run this. I will run follow-up labs about once a year just to make sure the engine is doing ok and no problems are developing.

Even a low price oil and filter changed at 5-8K is better than extending any oil/filter combination. The whole point of a oil change is to get the dirty oil out and clean oil in, right?

I agree with the UOA group, that is the only way to know when oil needs to be replaced.
That mileage is different for every car (even if the same model), because of different driving habits, etc.

Even with a UOA at a high mile interval, it would be better to put the UOA cost into a fresh oil change.

Agree with you on UOA being a substantial cost item in relation to oil cost.
Hence, not worth the expense.
In my local context , I do 'extend' OCI's ...... with free and easy Blotter Spot Tests.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I do it because oil is gangster expensive here for the most part, sales are far few between, and because I drive a ton of miles for work it's out of convenience. I will let the engine break in and keep a modest OCI for the first 5 or so oil changes and then I run consecutive labs to find the limit of the oil in my engine. Once I know this I back it off a tad from the absolute limit and then run this. I will run follow-up labs about once a year just to make sure the engine is doing ok and no problems are developing.

This is the best technique I have read. You know what you have, no guessing.
A UOA shows any developing problems that can be taken care of before it becomes a major issue. You ever do coolant tests?
What is the average cost of a UOA?
How you like the Journey? (the vehicle, not the band)

I have never done coolant tests. I just change the coolant by the severe service schedule and I usually drive all my vehicles to the scrap yard with original water pumps. Yes even the ones that are supposed to be done with the timing belt. My Santa Fe in my Signature died at 300K miles (535,000km) with the original water pump that is supposed to be done every 100,000km (60K miles).

There are things I like and dislike about the Journey but I'm really happy with how my engine is showing almost 0's in the UOA's for wear metals and isn't hard on oils at all. We have some brutal weather with high summer temperatures and wicked humidity to subzero temperatures in the winter that makes starting difficult in February for vehicles.

I have the 2.4L 4 Cylinder and while it's a Thirsty 4 cylinder and lazy at times I can't complain because it has been super reliable. Doesn't consume or leak oil.

Even the PentaStar V6 is a great engine and I really wish I had gotten this one instead for more power and about the same fuel economy because it has a 6 speed trans instead of the 4 speed.

All the problems I have had with the Journey were little things like the interior light shorting out, the alternator died in the first year and was replaced under warranty, the A/C unit while functional doesn't get super cold all the time and the dealer can't figure it out.

So.... While some nuances this looks like the engine/trans are solid and will last a long time which is great because I drive a ton of miles for work and every year I can drive a vehicle without a payment on a new one is money back in my pocket so I drive them until the wheels fall off like my Santa Fe when it snapped a cam-shaft and cooked the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

With you 100% on this. In the US oil is dirt cheap so unless I am looking for something specific like water or excess fuel I don't frig around with UOA I just change the oil.
I don't get using dino either to save a buck a qt then stretch it out to the last mile. I can almost see it in Europe where a top shelf synthetic can cost $100 a gallon but $30 or less for 5 qts is lunacy IMO.

Well, this is mixing a bunch of stuff and some assumptions ... You are conflating "synthetic" (whatever that means in the USA ...) with top shelf. It may be, but it might not be too.

In marine and small aviation, there is a call for dino, and a exclusion for synthetic. It has to do, in part, with surface tension (lower in true synthetics) and the amount the equipment sits. Drain-off is a very real concern for some engines. High quality dino oil resist drain-off very well, so they are called out.

As far as dino vs syn and long distances, over the road trucks run 25,000 miles or more on high quality dino between changes. It all depends on the oil in question. Run cheap dollar store brand off the wall oil for 10K - not a good idea. Run delo 400 or Delvac that far, sure easy enough
smile.gif

Do I do it - no. As I have said many times before, I want to get under the vehicle and see how things are going. Check brakes, grease fittings, etc. While I'm doing that and oil change is incidental and easy.

But some folks literally drive a car until wheels fall off and then gripe that it's cars/mfg's fault ...

......looks like the engine/trans are solid and will last a long time which is great because I drive a ton of miles for work and every year I can drive a vehicle without a payment on a new one is money back in my pocket so I drive them until the wheels fall off like my Santa Fe when it snapped a cam-shaft and cooked the engine.

[/quote]

I am going to go look at one, I see them here often.
My wheels usually turn square before thay fall off...do yours do that too?

These guys get some kind of macho high by pushing their engine oil to 10,000 miles. It's dumb as heck.

I'd rather take my engine apart someday to find that it's spotless. Much more satisfaction that way.

For 40 years now I have done 10K OCIs. 10K has been my normal OCI and thought nothing about it until I got on BITOG and saw stupid comments like yours.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back