Toyota 1.8L is apparently a 300K mile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
It sounds like they didn't make the "newer" Corollas to last as long. I'm sure my 1985 Corolla would last a million miles if I kept it. It yet needs to broken in at 268,000 miles. Of course, I've been meticulous about oil and filter changes.
wink.gif

Most people don't keep their cars long enough to get this many miles, so I'd say even the newer Corollas are still overbuilt...

300k is definitely a respectable milestone, especially when it is racked up over a decade or more because it also shows the durability of the vehicle and that it was used like most people would use theirs, i.e. lots of cold starts, some short trips etc.

I'm less impressed when that kind of mileage is achieved over only a few years because it means commercial use with little downtime. The kind of usage that most people cannot relate to.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
300k is definitely a respectable milestone, especially when it is racked up over a decade or more because it also shows the durability of the vehicle and that it was used like most people would use theirs, i.e. lots of cold starts, some short trips etc.

I'm less impressed when that kind of mileage is achieved over only a few years because it means commercial use with little downtime. The kind of usage that most people cannot relate to.

I bought my '04 in 2012. It had 148K miles at the time of purchase. I put the rest of the miles on since then. Most of my driving is highway miles, so my driving style could be considered the same as commercial vehicles. As long as the car does what I need it to do reliably and economically, that's what I need, and the Corolla does that...

Got a 2014 Corolla but only has 43k miles currently. They have good room and ride is smooth to my liking. All my cars prior I have traded in after around 5 years , but I`m trying to kick that habit. I will say I am totally pleased with the car , the only slight drawback is that I would like less tire noise while driving. It`s not very bad but it could be better and it is no deal breaker. The only car I was considering to do a trade for was a Camry but so far have put that off. I think it might get an even smoother ride but raise gas usage somewhat. My latest gas usage according to the cars meter over several thousand mileage is 39 mpg, which for my driving I think is fairly close. Went to the Indy Nascar race awhile back and did a gas used/mileage and had 40mpg going 65-75 on a 300 mile round trip.

My new 02 Corolla at the time drove to 220K, its engine could last longer but I needed to get rid of due to constant catalyst converter issue that would be clogged pretty much every year because the oil from the engine would somehow sip into exhaust pipe and repeat the problem

Last edited:
For 314K, you did well - that's longer than most keep their cars. Toyota was also moving away from Pb/Sn/Cu-based bearings to Al-based ones.

I had a 1991 LS400 we gave up to the state, it had almost 300K on the original drivetrain. Still purred like a kitten and sounded better than most UCF10 LS400s I've seen on the road.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I have the 1.8 in my prius and love it. what should I look out for if I want more than 300k miles?

Change the oil/filter at respectable intervals - UOAs will give you some idea of what is happening.

Prii are tough little buggers - cabbies, Uber drivers and city fleets flog on them and they still tick. However, cab companies don't take the greatest care of their fleets.

Originally Posted By: miden851
My new 02 Corolla at the time drove to 220K, its engine could last longer but I needed to get rid of due to constant catalyst converter issue that would be clogged pretty much every year because the oil from the engine would somehow sip into exhaust pipe and repeat the problem

That year, it was from plugged oil drain holes in the pistons. 98-02 were problem years. Toyota was apparently copying Saturn.

300k is good. You got your money worth and can't complain. It is time for a newer car because the rest of it is worn. Tranny, suspension, interior, ignitions, AC, alternator, wheel bearings, CV joints / boots, etc are all getting there. It is cheaper to get another 150k out of a 100k car than to spend money and fix all these things that are on borrowed life. Your wallet will thank you and you'll have less downtime.

I'm at almost 170K on my 10th gen Corolla. My plan was to run to 250K and then look to trade up. I think I'll stick to that plan, subject of course to anything else that might happen along the way.

Next time you get a Corolla - just use Pennzoil 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 at 10k-12k mile intervals with an oversized filter (wix 51516/51764). Roughly same price for the distance. But less time changing the oil, better protection (almost 50% better than conventional mineral oil according to AAA study) and I can almost guarantee you will at least touch 350k-400k this time, if not more.

Originally Posted By: supton

That year, it was from plugged oil drain holes in the pistons. 98-02 were problem years. Toyota was apparently copying Saturn.

My '99 Corolla lasted 295K before a valve went bad, so I guess that's not too bad considering the faulty drain holes in the pistons...

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Have you ever serviced the transmission? Ever changed fluid partially or fully??? Or do we actually have a successful case of lifetime fluid example?

The '04 Corolla (I don't know about the new ones) didn't have lifetime tranny fluid. I drained and replaced the fluid and filter when I bought the car, then drained and replaced the fluid at each oil change for about the first three changes, then I did a couple more every other oil change, then I started doing fluid changes every 3 oil changes. I figured by this time I had pretty much changed out all of the old fluid with new. I won't do flushes as I think that can dislodge bad stuff and can cause tranny problems, but I do like doing it gradually by just doing the drains and refills...I believe this tranny is in very good shape yet...

Next time you get a Corolla - just use Pennzoil 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 at 10k-12k mile intervals with an oversized filter (wix 51516/51764). Roughly same price for the distance. But less time changing the oil, better protection (almost 50% better than conventional mineral oil according to AAA study) and I can almost guarantee you will at least touch 350k-400k this time, if not more.

I have decided to go with a Civic this time around. I've had two Corollas now, and while both have been very solid and super reliable cars, they are a bit boring. The Civic is more of a driver's car and seems to be a little better at everything as far as driving is concerned, and if I stay away from certain year models, it sounds like they are very reliable as well. I will probably run Mobil 1 full syn in the Honda, if for nothing else but to extend my change intervals...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

I have decided to go with a Civic this time around. I've had two Corollas now, and while both have been very solid and super reliable cars, they are a bit boring. The Civic is more of a driver's car and seems to be a little better at everything as far as driving is concerned, and if I stay away from certain year models, it sounds like they are very reliable as well. I will probably run Mobil 1 full syn in the Honda, if for nothing else but to extend my change intervals...
Good choice. I have a 2010 Civic, great car. Absolutely love the handling, and power is very good for a 1.8L compared to Corolla's 1.8L. I had two cars with Corolla's powertrain. What year is the civic that you are getting?

Originally Posted By: grampi

Good choice. I have a 2010 Civic, great car. Absolutely love the handling, and power is very good for a 1.8L compared to Corolla's 1.8L. I had two cars with Corolla's powertrain. What year is the civic that you are getting?

I'm looking a three...an '09 (it has the newer engine block, the one that doesn't crack), a '10, and an '11. All have less than 100K miles...

Those 8th generation Civics were always appealing to me but I've never owned one

The other day, I raced against one on a traffic light twice and I was ahead in both instances; Next traffic light I initiated the conversation with the guy and he said his had 250K at the moment with just oil changes, so take that what is worth for; he commented on my car that is in good shape as well, on our next move we proceeded in opposite directions

Those 8th generation Civics were always appealing to me but I've never owned one

The other day, I raced against one on a traffic light twice and I was ahead in both instances; Next traffic light I initiated the conversation with the guy and he said his had 250K at the moment with just oil changes, so take that what is worth for; he commented on my car that is in good shape as well, on our next move we proceeded in opposite directions

You raced him with what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back