Toyota 1.8L is apparently a 300K mile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
At 300K+ miles metal fatigue might be the cause of some engine failures.
Even the fanciest oil won't prevent that.

That would actually be massively pathetic. Toyota-braggards (paid or voluntary) think these little water-cooler testimonials are extolling the product, but I absolutely would not want any engine that spontaneously and catastrophically loses it's fundamental friction materials in the absence of overheating, over-revving, oiling system failure or other obvious abuse.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Next time you get a Corolla -

lol.gif
"Next time you get a corolla" he says... because that's just a given and of course it's the oils fault for not letting the great toyota run for 3 trillion miles. lmao

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Interesting, however maybe you should work on your geography more instead of debating miracle effects of a OW20 TGMO on a 1985 Corolla.

So, Ukraine, Serbia, Russia, and your location formerly known as Fiume (now part of Croatia) are not in continental Europe?

Rijeka is located on a Adriatic, that would be Mediterranean FYI. Continental part of the country is central European. So tell me how do Soviet automobiles relate to me? Better part of Russia is located in Asia, not Europe, and certainly not central Europe.

Earlier I have just made an observation that Euro cars can and do more mileage on average-that is why Taxis are always Euro make. Nothing against Toyota, I'm looking for a IS myself.

I forgot where I read it from, supposedly the industrial standard is to design the power train to last around 250k miles, plus minus depends on the loads and environments, etc.

@ grampi

I only doing it with the older car so it not painful as it would be with the new one

Last edited:
Have you ever serviced the transmission? Ever changed fluid partially or fully??? Or do we actually have a successful case of lifetime fluid example?

I'm not the OP, but my 1.8L 10th Gen Corolla has a pan, drain plug, replaceable filter, and dipstick, making service easy.

Next time you get a Corolla - just use Pennzoil 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 at 10k-12k mile intervals with an oversized filter (wix 51516/51764). Roughly same price for the distance. But less time changing the oil, better protection (almost 50% better than conventional mineral oil according to AAA study) and I can almost guarantee you will at least touch 350k-400k this time, if not more.

Tell me, just how do you get an oversized filter on a Corolla 1.8L? They don't use a can. And better oil won't stop you from dropping a valve.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I forgot where I read it from, supposedly the industrial standard is to design the power train to last around 250k miles, plus minus depends on the loads and environments, etc.

Design life is 150k under severe conditions according to friend who designs seals and valve seals for major car makers(freudenberg nok). That likely translates to 250k normal driving but 150k is goal.

300k is great but can be achieved with majority of vehicles out there, I don't think Toyota is special except less troublesome. My parents managed that with a GMC Suburban(rust was demise), AMC eagle(sick of car and sat) and their 1990 sSubaru Legacy(rot) without any major engine repairs. They have a 200k 2000 Forester with hardcore winter tires but it sits in garage as they prefer 2015 outback except bad storms.

The 4Runner 1990 v6 was the mess requiring two headgaskets on the way but little else went wrong. It got left in field for 5 years because AC quit in 2010 and dad just drove other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Have you ever serviced the transmission? Ever changed fluid partially or fully??? Or do we actually have a successful case of lifetime fluid example?

I'm not the OP, but my 1.8L 10th Gen Corolla has a pan, drain plug, replaceable filter, and dipstick, making service easy.

Next time you get a Corolla - just use Pennzoil 0w40 or Mobil 1 0w40 at 10k-12k mile intervals with an oversized filter (wix 51516/51764). Roughly same price for the distance. But less time changing the oil, better protection (almost 50% better than conventional mineral oil according to AAA study) and I can almost guarantee you will at least touch 350k-400k this time, if not more.

Tell me, just how do you get an oversized filter on a Corolla 1.8L? They don't use a can. And better oil won't stop you from dropping a valve.

Because they do use a vertically mounted can filter.
crazy.gif

0996b43f8022cbc9.gif

Last edited:
I took the Corolla to my mechanic this morning and he said the engine is fine. It's the catalytic converter that's bad. The car also has a bad left front wheel bearing, but fixing both will be way less expensive than buying another car, though I was looking forward to getting a Civic. It appears the Corolla's not quite dead yet....

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

That would actually be massively pathetic. Toyota-braggards (paid or voluntary) think these little water-cooler testimonials are extolling the product, but I absolutely would not want any engine that spontaneously and catastrophically loses it's fundamental friction materials in the absence of overheating, over-revving, oiling system failure or other obvious abuse.

lol.gif
"Next time you get a corolla" he says... because that's just a given and of course it's the oils fault for not letting the great toyota run for 3 trillion miles. lmao

These posts always crack me up. You act like it's no big deal for vehicle (insert name here) to go X amount of miles, and yet you site no reference to anything you had that lasted this long or longer. 300K is a big deal, and it doesn't matter what type of vehicle it's achieved with, it simply isn't something you see every day...

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Not quite following you here. The Corolla has a screw-on filter. You simply get a larger (longer) filter and screw it on...

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

At 300K miles, you're at least at 6,000 engine Hours, likely more!

Just about any engine will need mechanical work by then!

Really? SERIOUSLY?!

No.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

lol.gif

These posts always crack me up. You act like it's no big deal for vehicle (insert name here) to go X amount of miles, and yet you site no reference to anything you had that lasted this long or longer. 300K is a big deal, and it doesn't matter what type of vehicle it's achieved with, it simply isn't something you see every day...

Naah, not really. 300,000 isn't anything spectacular...I have driven many with that or more. I drove a car with 580,000 miles (it went 640K), saw several vans over 400,000, and dozens of cars and vans with 250,000+. I saw several with relatively low miles, but 10,000+ engine hours due to 100% city use. I saw 553,000 on an F-550 that sees the brutal duty of a repo truck!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I took the Corolla to my mechanic this morning and he said the engine is fine. It's the catalytic converter that's bad. The car also has a bad left front wheel bearing, but fixing both will be way less expensive than buying another car, though I was looking forward to getting a Civic. It appears the Corolla's not quite dead yet....
Yay!!! 0w40 time!!! Lol. Report back at 500k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back