Toyota 1.8L is apparently a 300K mile engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
90+% highway miles? Random rod bearing failure without running out of oil?
Why am I not impressed ?

Don't know, do you have something that's last longer?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
90+% highway miles? Random rod bearing failure without running out of oil?
Why am I not impressed ?

At 314k miles???!!! Ummm ok...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Supertech oil, Wix filters, change interval every 6K miles...mileage was about 90 to 95% highway miles...

Supertech mineral oil or synthetic?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: grampi
Supertech oil, Wix filters, change interval every 6K miles...mileage was about 90 to 95% highway miles...

Supertech mineral oil or synthetic?

Dino...

How much oil was your corolla burning? I have a friend with a Civic that has 300k and it burns a lot of oil.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
How much oil was your corolla burning? I have a friend with a Civic that has 300k and it burns a lot of oil.

It uses 1 qt every 3K miles...I think I misspoke earlier and said it only used 1 qt every 6K...but 1 qt every 3K is still acceptable in my book...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I have the 1.8 in my prius and love it. what should I look out for if I want more than 300k miles?

I apparently don't know as I can't seem to get more than that myself....

Originally Posted By: Ram02
Motor would of still been running strong with Valvoline Synthetic

I doubt that very much...

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
At 300K miles, you're at least at 6,000 engine Hours, likely more!

Just about any engine will need mechanical work by then!
Not necessarily. The engine in my Mazda was smaller, and went twice as far with no valve or bearing issues at all (although it eventually had other problems).

I think 300k is a perfectly acceptable amount of miles to get out of a vehicle before you have a major issue. I am considering a Corolla myself. They seem like great cars.

I have the 1.8 in my prius and love it. what should I look out for if I want more than 300k miles?

Since no one mentioned it, "not even close" to being the same 1.8

Maybe it is not the engine; maybe the OP'r is a 300K driver,

Last edited:
It sounds like they didn't make the "newer" Corollas to last as long. I'm sure my 1985 Corolla would last a million miles if I kept it. It yet needs to broken in at 268,000 miles. Of course, I've been meticulous about oil and filter changes.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
It sounds like they didn't make the "newer" Corollas to last as long. I'm sure my 1985 Corolla would last a million miles if I kept it. It yet needs to broken in at 268,000 miles. Of course, I've been meticulous about oil and filter changes.
wink.gif

I'm not sure how you can make that assumption since yours doesn't have as many miles as his. When he had 268k miles his ran fine too. Maybe yours will knock at 300k miles too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When he had 268k miles his ran fine too. Maybe yours will knock at 300k miles too.

Well, I hope it doesn't. It runs very well right now. With my current mileage, I don't know if I will reach 300k miles before I buy a new car, as that would take six or more years. I would like to see whether the odometer resets at 299,999.9 miles or not though.

Toyotas were made exclusively in Japan prior to circa 1986. They started making Corollas and Geo Prisms in US circa 1986. I am guessing that the machining quality in the mid-1980s Corollas was superior to later Corollas and current Corollas.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Since no one mentioned it, "not even close" to being the same 1.8

Maybe it is not the engine; maybe the OP'r is a 300K driver,

Yep lots of Toyota's out the from 400,000 to a million miles. Very easy to find them Google it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back