Hummer H3 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I have a question about the oil in a particular engine/vehicle.

I'm looking into purchasing a 2007 Hummer H3, with the 3.7L I5 engine & Auto, from my Mother-In-Law. Has 95,700 miles on it, and seems to be taken care of pretty well. Runs & drives fine, just hasn't had a lot of use, since the Father-In-Law died last November. If I do get this, I'm hoping to keep it for many miles & years of reliable service.

The owner's manual states that 5w-30 is the main oil needed. Just saw another post about the Dexos oils being good enough for pre-2011 GM engines, as well. Does any of you Gearheads have previous experience with the 3.7, and if so, what type of oil would you use? I figure brand names aren't too important, as long as the oil is a quality lubricant.

What say you, my people?

Originally Posted By: hatt
A friend of mine has an 07 H3. It's a piece of junk. I suggest not getting it.
LoL...I stopped giving that kind of advice. I always get told im wrong.

Originally Posted By: hatt
A friend of mine has an 07 H3. It's a piece of junk. I suggest not getting it.

Agreed. A coworker has one and despite loving it, he complains of its unreliability and 'always needing something' all the time.

Our H3 has 33,300 miles. I have only replaced the passenger rear window servo and general maintenance. Half the miles were added in Las Vegas, the other half were in Great Falls. Mobil 1 5w30 has served well in both extremes. I considered 0w40 but thought power may be affected. It is not a power house.

Something that will save you MPGs
wink.gif

Kidding aside any oil would work fine for that. I would use whatever synthetic you can get reasonably priced.

Research timing chain issues and what it takes to replace them. It has a dual timing chain setup with one set on the front of the engine and one set on the rear that requires dropping the transmission.

I would avoid that engine like the plaque if it was me.

bought my daughter a used 2007 H3 with the inline 5. ran it up to 170000 miles or so. only issue was some fork in the transfer case ended replacing. known issue. we used M1, 5-30 with 5 to 6000 mile loci. she sold it last year for a JKU. was a nice solid vehicle.

Thanks to all who chimed in!

Main reason I'm thinking about getting it, is the fact that I can make the monthly payments directly to the MIL, without worrying about late fees, etc. If I needed to hold off on a payment or pay less than expected, I can work it out with her, rather than be shafted by a loan company. Plus, I want to get back into an AWD/4WD vehicle with plenty of room to haul stuff, if I need to.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
Folks here swear by Vavoline Maxlife.

You've only been here six days and you know this?

I have been lurking since a few years, got an account, forgot my password. This is a new one.

Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
Thanks to all who chimed in!

Main reason I'm thinking about getting it, is the fact that I can make the monthly payments directly to the MIL, without worrying about late fees, etc. If I needed to hold off on a payment or pay less than expected, I can work it out with her, rather than be shafted by a loan company. Plus, I want to get back into an AWD/4WD vehicle with plenty of room to haul stuff, if I need to.

Your last sentence tells me you have absolutely no good reason to purchase the vehicle.

Financing a 10 year vehicle is foolish, more so from a family member.

Shafted by a loan company?? You're shafting yourself when you buy something you can't afford. Having the mentality that you can take advantage of your MIL if you fall short tells me you have no concept of properly managing finances.

Any API 5w30 will work well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TexasVaquero
I have been lurking since a few years, got an account, forgot my password. This is a new one.

Oh, I see. I guess I was also a bit surprised you would say that about Maxlife without a qualifier since you had a car seize due to that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back