Oiling Bathroom Exhaust Fan Motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Your message was very timely. We just finished renovating a bathroom and within a few days the fan started making a lot of noise. I wondered about putting a drop of oil on the only accessible bearing and your message prompted me to do it.

The result - the noise is gone and the fan seems to be turning faster as well.

I used "Masters Lubricating Oiler" recommended for bearings and moving parts of pumps, motors, fans, compressors, etc. It's quite old; I've used it in the past on furnace fan motor bearings. Seems like about a 20 or 30 weight oil. We'll see how long this lasts.

Same here. I just oiled both bathroom fans about a month ago. The fans were 10 years old.

I used a 6 cSt PAO with a 32 cSt ester for about a 20 grade oil, no additives.

I don't like to use motor oils or oils with additives because if the oil does sling off, the sulfur-phosphorus AW components corrode the copper windings.

I used a 10 mL syringe with a small 0.5 mm medical tube to apply the oil, like two drops per bearing.

Last edited:
Are you guys removing the motor/fan assemblies and oiling the bearings with the motors sitting horizontally?

I can see how it's done in the OP's situation given it's a through-wall fan as opposed to being overhead.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Are you guys removing the motor/fan assemblies and oiling the bearings with the motors sitting horizontally?

I can see how it's done in the OP's situation given it's a through-wall fan as opposed to being overhead.

In my case the fans were overhead and I had to remove the fan assembly.

The only real way to oil those copper-alloy bearings was to sit it on the bench horizontally and shoot it vertically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I swear by SuperLube synthetic oils and greases. It comes in various forms - a spray, oil and grease. I do not like the dry film version at all but the normal stuff works great; it is H1 rated for food contact once things "dry up". The only thing I have not been impressed with it is lubricating car door hinges and I think it's because spray lithium grease can get pushed into crevices where the SuperLube is much thinner when sprayed on.

For what you are using it for you can try their oiler pen as it can give drops to a specific area.

My first experience with it was spraying down house door hinges and after using it my doors would open by themselves because they weren't level.

Use fresh motor oil for car door hinges and the hood latching system.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Your message was very timely. We just finished renovating a bathroom and within a few days the fan started making a lot of noise. I wondered about putting a drop of oil on the only accessible bearing and your message prompted me to do it.

The result - the noise is gone and the fan seems to be turning faster as well.

I used "Masters Lubricating Oiler" recommended for bearings and moving parts of pumps, motors, fans, compressors, etc. It's quite old; I've used it in the past on furnace fan motor bearings. Seems like about a 20 or 30 weight oil. We'll see how long this lasts.

Same here. I just oiled both bathroom fans about a month ago. The fans were 10 years old.

I used a 6 cSt PAO with a 32 cSt ester for about a 20 grade oil, no additives.

I don't like to use motor oils or oils with additives because if the oil does sling off, the sulfur-phosphorus AW components corrode the copper windings.

I used a 10 mL syringe with a small 0.5 mm medical tube to apply the oil, like two drops per bearing.

I wonder MolaKule, why oil can cause rust. The top of my can of Kroil has a lot of rust around the rim why I haven't been so tidy about keeping it dry when some drips get on it. So, the additives in oil can actually cause rust on some things?

Try an oil with capillary action.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back