Is this paint overspray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
By the small holes? Looks like the filter was rusty at some point.

Could have been I dont recall it being pronounced as this when I put it on as I check everything pretty close before even leaving the store.

it doesn't have the color I normally associate with rust however and looks more like overspray.

I like the way denso and some others wrap the bottom of the filter to prevent any rust.

UD

Looks like rust to me
smile.gif

Corrosion (rust). I've seen this on oil filters before. Probably started on metal before fabrication. I have never seen this on a Denso oil filter.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
By the small holes? Looks like the filter was rusty at some point.

Could have been I dont recall it being pronounced as this when I put it on as I check everything pretty close before even leaving the store.

it doesn't have the color I normally associate with rust however and looks more like overspray.

I like the way denso and some others wrap the bottom of the filter to prevent any rust.

UD

True, but having hot oil running over it at 40psi or whatever I think would change it's appearance a bit.

"True, but having hot oil running over it at 40psi or whatever I think would change it's appearance a bit."

Indeed it seems to have.

Just checked my stock and looked at an older but brand new filter that has none of this on it so my storage environment isn't the culprit.

UD

Originally Posted By: The_German
Wix filters used to be in boxes but now I get the black cans and they are shrinkwrapped well but no box at all anymore.

But that could be from a jobber bulk pack.

I wouldn't use any suspect filters it would bug me the whole OCI but it would be most likely harmless.

Yeah it bugs me but not to any great extent- I spun it on after looking at it and deeming it worthy, but Im quite certain this coloration wasn't the same.

I'm not so much worried as as I am slightly less confident in the product and it's QC process overall, not enough to discontinue use, but enough to cause rejection at a diff threshold than before this.

Could have been a stocking issue or there could have been 2 filters of wildly different manufacturing times together on a shelf, but that isn't real likely at Walmart.

Thanks for all the feedback.

UD

Last edited:
The stuff in the 6:00-9:00 position on the base plate does look like surface rust. I'm more curious about the stuff at the 3:30 position. Over at the end of the base plate, it looks like rust BUBBLING. Is that just an artifact of the light or the picture angle?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The stuff in the 6:00-9:00 position on the base plate does look like surface rust. I'm more curious about the stuff at the 3:30 position. Over at the end of the base plate, it looks like rust BUBBLING. Is that just an artifact of the light or the picture angle?

light artifact...

UD

I spun it on after looking at it and deeming it worthy, but Im quite certain this coloration wasn't the same.

If it was surface rust (or anything else visibly noticeable), I'd think you would have noticed it before installation. How's it going to rust more when installed on the engine and flooded with oil?

Does it wipe off, or do you need to scrape it off?

Looks like deposits from ring blow by. How's the car running? It's highly unusual for iron deposits to be allocated on top of a filter. I suspect you have serious internal engine problems.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I spun it on after looking at it and deeming it worthy, but Im quite certain this coloration wasn't the same.

If it was surface rust (or anything else visibly noticeable), I'd think you would have noticed it before installation. How's it going to rust more when installed on the engine and flooded with oil?

Does it wipe off, or do you need to scrape it off?

agreed, makes no sense it would rust on the car.

I didn't notice anything nearly this color but a very subdued version - not enough to make picky me not use it.

Haven't started scraping on it or wiping it yet.

UD

Originally Posted By: gilbertsta
Looks like deposits from ring blow by. How's the car running? It's highly unusual for iron deposits to be allocated on top of a filter. I suspect you have serious internal engine problems.

Nah dont think so.

Cars tight as a drum and passes smog with flying colors, gets great MPG and uses no discernible amount of oil between 7500 mile OCI's either. Closest Ive seen to a zero oil consumption car.

If these were iron Id be finding shards on the drain plug magnet which showed little to nothing but some dark colored paste.

UD

Originally Posted By: gilbertsta

You can't be serious...

what filter is this... looks like a fram ultra 3600?
21.gif
if its a champion it could be that residue from the coating they put on the filter

It neither wipes off or scrapes off with a finger.

Could be some kind of glue. Its not rust.

Im guessing its overspray, when I looked carefully at the side I can see some overspray on the gasket, Im guessing this filter was jarred a bit and ended up getting a bit of spray?!?!?

Im confident it didnt go anywhere, just very curious.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back