Best single oil for two different vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the 3.3L V6, 156k miles. I also own a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the DI 2.4L I4, 128k miles. Both are due for an oil change soon, so I'm on a mission, for the sake of simplicity, to find one oil I can use for both engines. I've seen a lot on the forums about both of these motors- mainly that the 3.3L isn't super picky about oil, and the fuel dilution issues with the 2.4. I live in northern Illinois, where the temps in the winter often dip below freezing, sometimes in the -teens/20's. so I'm looking at a 0W-xx - the Toyota FF was 5w-30 but is now backspec'd for 0w-20. The Chevy is spec'd for 5w-30 or 0w-30. The Chevy is mostly used for my 25 mile each way commute, and the Toyota mostly for short trips in town.

So the first question is should I be looking for a 0w-30 or a 0w-20? The second is, is there an oil that's both nice and thin while cold for cold starting in these winters, but stout enough to put up with the fuel dilution in the Chevy? I could use the TGMO 0w-20 for both, but I hear its high calcium might not be great for the Chevy, plus the Chevy is spec'd for 30wt. Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20/30 have good cold flow numbers and lower calcium/higher magnesium If I'm not mistaken, so may be a good choice for both. Plenty of other 0w's I haven't looked far into as well. I don't know how the higher mileage of both cars may affect the ideal choices as well..

What do y'all think?

valvoline synthetic max life this oil will be great for cold temps and hm vehicles, i dont wanna hear anyone say " but my car has no leaks" this oil is safe for all vehicles

Originally Posted By: jacky
valvoline synthetic max life this oil will be great for cold temps and hm vehicles, i dont wanna hear anyone say " but my car has no leaks" this oil is safe for all vehicles

+1, running that now in the Matrix. About 8k miles on it over the last four months. I may change it at the 8500 mark since the car will have 115k on it at that point. Lots of good options out there, kind of depends on the price.

It's clear you don't want a xw-20. Buy a quality 0w-30 that meets the Chevy's specs and use it in the Toyota too. A 5w-30 should probably be fine too.

Last edited:
PP 5w30 is on sale this month, and there's a $2/qt rebate too
smile.gif

Otherwise, M1 0w30

Does the $2/qt rebate work on the 5 qt jugs?

5W30 is fine for even sub zero temps. I'm up in WI and run 5W30 in my XJ Cherokee, the LR3 and my Liberty...sub zero starts are a non issue. I wouldn't write that off because of the cold temps. But it seems like 0w30 would be a good middle ground considering what Toyota back spec'd.

You don't need a zero weight oil. A 5w30 will be good for temps under -20F for most vehicles. You have to be in Canada, more or less, to benefit from a zero weight.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Does the $2/qt rebate work on the 5 qt jugs?

5W30 is fine for even sub zero temps. I'm up in WI and run 5W30 in my XJ Cherokee, the LR3 and my Liberty...sub zero starts are a non issue. I wouldn't write that off because of the cold temps. But it seems like 0w30 would be a good middle ground considering what Toyota back spec'd.

Yes, you'll get 10$ back per jug. You only get 48$ max in a year, 24 qts worth, so keep that in mind. I don't know if you submit a receipt with 5 jugs (25qts) if they reject the whole thing because it's over the limit, or if they just write you the maximum check.

Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 and a Fram Ultra will be perfect for both of them.. So now you have lots of opinions.. This works very well for us.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
I think you answered your own question put in a 0w30 and call it a day

+1. M1, Amsoil, Edge are the obvious choices.

A 5w30 synthetic would also serve well in IL.

Since I own a vehicle with the 3MZ-FE, I found this thread of interest.

I am sure I will get proven wrong here, but I can't find anything that back-spec's the 3MZ-FE to 0W30/0W20. The last year it was made by/for Toyota (non-hybrid) was the engine in the 2007 Highlander or 2008 Solara; page 379 (of the latest version of the Highlander owner's manual) calls for 5W30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt the previous owner of your Toy van put much thought into motor oil for it's 160K mile life.

Apply what you've been doing with your Equinox. Walmart recently had a sale on Trop Artic syn blend 5W30. Find a deal like that and motor on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back