Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, I was doing some reading and these clips sounded like a pretty good idea. Giving slight pressure so it can separate the pads while not offering any changes in the brake performance/feel. This would eliminate any possible brake drag. Does anybody have an experience with this? Do they actually make a difference?

They are OEM in some vehicles and Raybestos has them as an aftermarket part for vehicles that originally didn't come with them. I installed them in my 2002 Silverado since they are OEM on some cars. Haven't tested for its claims (longer pad life, better fuel economy, better pedal feel) but the springs are pretty strong on keeping the pads away from the rotor.

Last edited:
I didn't put them in my Focus and a year after doing the brake job I replaced strut bearings and was about to replace the control arms because of the rattling.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Are they available for all vehicles?

I found them available through NAPA's website so you can check for your vehicle there. Raybestos is the only brand that makes it for aftermarket. If it's OEM you will have them in a brake hardware kit for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

I found them available through NAPA's website so you can check for your vehicle there. Raybestos is the only brand that makes it for aftermarket. If it's OEM you will have them in a brake hardware kit for your vehicle.

It's interesting that you say that because I found that Raybestos, AC Delco and Carlson made them for my Equinox. Didn't come OEM on my vehicle but last time I did a pad and rotor change on my Equinox it seemed that the pads were too close for my liking. Nothing wrong with them and the brakes are great but I was thinking next time I am in there I was going to try them. $6 and it seemed like cheap insurance to give me the warm and fuzzies.

I ordered mine from rockauto along with a gas cap because I was pulling a code.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

It's interesting that you say that because I found that Raybestos, AC Delco and Carlson made them for my Equinox. Didn't come OEM on my vehicle but last time I did a pad and rotor change on my Equinox it seemed that the pads were too close for my liking. Nothing wrong with them and the brakes are great but I was thinking next time I am in there I was going to try them. $6 and it seemed like cheap insurance to give me the warm and fuzzies.

I ordered mine from rockauto along with a gas cap because I was pulling a code.

Wasn't aware of other brands that makes a one-off product since the Raybestos brand was much more available at my local napas. I thought it was an interesting product and it wouldn't hurt to throw it with my purchase of brake pads.

Last edited:
I don't get why they aren't used more. I've been tempted to add them to the rear discs on my vehicles--why they get installed up front and not in the rear is a mystery to me. I also find it interesting that it's the rear brake pads that always get sticky on me--is that coincidence? Maybe a bit of spring action would help keep the sliding surfaces on the pad ears free?
21.gif

just never got around to the job, and I don't have any springs from previous brake jobs to try out the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back