What's good, and not so good, in brake pads these days?

The Mazda OE pads are pretty good. Other than cost, I don't see any of the aftermarket solutions offering a better performing pad.
An option for me is to just replace the early wearing rears with Mazda pads, then later do all four with something else. I might do that. I saw the post about rotors. I've had good results just putting new pads on rotors that were not significantly worn nor grooved, and I understand about sandpapering off old pad deposit material. I know that for a shop that really wants to avoid come-backs that new parts make customers satisfied. My come-backs are mine alone. My work is guaranteed...if it's not right the first time I guarantee that I'll do it again.

People have come up with all kinds of ideas why the rears wear first. They're talking about the Mazda adaptive cruise control applying the brakes to control downhill coasting speed and also something to do with the AWD. I don't think so. My 1996 FWD Volvo also wore the rear pads first. I think it has to do with the car designers' choice of brake pad size or pad compound material or something like that to give the braking performance they want.

Anyway, thank you for all the good information and suggestions.

I just did my cx5 brakes a couple months ago, replaced the factory ones with the raybestos eht3 and I like these way more. First time trying these brakes and I'm very satisfied - these brakes is what I expected from the factory. The driver front doors squeal a bit at low speeds but I need to rebleed that caliper anyways. If recommend getting OEM brake hardware though.

I did my car about 400 miles with the Raybestos element 3 ceramic pads, and I'm very happy

Good stopping power, no noise at all, and hardly any dust

Bad experience with the Raybestos Element3 EHT pads.

They would frequently loudly grind, even though there was plenty of "meat" left on the pads. Took them off and inspected, and the pad material had a lot of cracking. I replaced them with a different brand, and braking performance has been a lot more quiet, and stopping power just as good.

I now avoid the Chinese made Raybestos Element3 EHT pads. Not impressed.

I also avoid the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. Squeakiest pads I've ever owned.

Not sure why, but both of these brands are popular on here.

I used to be an Akebono guy but I made the switch to Element 3s and I couldn't be happier. More bite than Akebono ProACT and I can't tell any difference in dust output. Cheaper than the Akebonos too. Raybestos rotors, slide pins and boots are also high quality and competitively priced. Unless something drastic changes then I'm a Raybestos guy now from here on out.

Last edited:
I've had good results with Bosch Blue pads, Raybestos EHT is my fave last few years thou in different cars' applications. Didn't like Wagner pads, uneven wear, squeaky.

I just used Bosch QuietCast pads and rotors on my Avalon. The fit great and stop even better. In the past I have tried the Element 3 pads and I found that they didn't fit great (on my Xterra anyway).

I’ve had good luck with the Power Stops recently, and I’ve had good luck with Akenbono.

I find brake pad brands to be very cyclical, some years they’re good, some years they’re not. For that reason I don’t usually expect any brand to be “good” for very long. I once had an entire summer experiencing terrible quality with AC Delco pads, and the local shop was an AC Delco sponsored parts store. They kept warrantying over and over again.

Had a similar experience with Carquest pads and rotors two years ago...customers kept coming back. Pulsating rotors. Warranty after warranty, some jobs more than twice. Come to find out there was too much (forget what metal it was) in the pads, and they’d warp the rotors in a matter of months. Sometimes less. Over and over. Almost every brake job. Real pain to have to deal with that.

Napa Adaptive One are made in China.
Most of the Bosch pads seem to be made in Mexico.

The Mazda OE pads are pretty good. Other than cost, I don't see any of the aftermarket solutions offering a better performing pad.
I've had 3 sets of NAPA AdaptiveOne pads, and all were made in Canada. Maybe that just changed, or different model...

I recommend them, also have a set of Raybestos Element3's on the old Dakota, also recommended.

I have used OEM Honda pads on my Honda and have always had good luck and a perfect fit...I will get over 70000 on a set of pads...I am easy on the brakes...The pads come in a kit with all new shims and grease and cost about the same as some over the counter pads..

I used to always go for Akebono in the past, but in my new car I good great price and product for Element 3 EHT. The only minus is just the first brake in the morning has soft little squeal that will disappear on the second time you brake. It has been about 130k km on original rotor, no wobbling and no issue.

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried Akebono Performance instead of the ProACT? Looking at them vs the Raybestos Hybrids
Just get the Raybestos, they're really good. I have the Akebono Performance ceramics on the rear of my car because it had ProACTs all around but then a stuck caliper caused the left rear pads to wear out fast. I was disappointed with the ProACTs so I put the Performance pads in the rear just taking a swing at maybe getting a little more feel and I really couldn't notice a difference. I know it's just the rears, but after that when the fronts wore out I switched to Element 3s and it was an actual positive change in feel and braking response. Akebono pads (at least the ceramics, I never tried any of their semi-metallics) feel wooden.

Just put a set of Bosch Blue's on my kids 2018 Jeep Compass. First time using them, seem to be a nice pad. The hardware they send is really nice and they send a packet of lube with them. Took it for a drive, liked the feel and they stopped well. I might try them on a few of my other cars when the time comes.

I have done several DIY brake jobs in 15 years and never really paid attention to the material. Cheap, expensive, organic, ceramic. The success has always been determined by the quality of the work itself. Don’t cheap out by resurfacing rotors, ALWAYS replace them. Lube things properly. Move on to more important things in life. Good luck with the mazda.

Brake pads selection is fundamental to brake feel and performance. Quality of work won't improve bad parts.

Just put a set of Bosch Blue's on my kids 2018 Jeep Compass. First time using them, seem to be a nice pad. The hardware they send is really nice and they send a packet of lube with them. Took it for a drive, liked the feel and they stopped well. I might try them on a few of my other cars when the time comes.
I'll say, I never used a Bosch product I didn't like. Haven't tried their brakes yet though.

Back