What was first synthetic oil you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 5w-30, 1989, In my brand new Acura Integra LS. I put 36,000 miles on it in 10 months, and only changed the oil once. The car had over 350k miles when I sold it 11 years later and it still ran great. I use synthetics in everything.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 I believe. Was late to the synthetic conversion, maybe 2007-8? Could have been later? Was running castrol GTX mostly prior to that.

It had to have been Mobil 1 5w-30 back when I had the Lightning. The Town Car before it only got conventional, and vehicles before that were the same, thanks to consumption and/or leakage.

Mobil 1 5w-50 in a 2003 VW Passat 1.8t 4 years ago.

I used it even though it did not have VW 502.00 due to the oil consumption the engine had.

Did not have any engine issues related to oil/sludge.

Mobil 1, 5W-20

- The other synthetics I have used: NAPA Synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

- Have used conventional motor oil though for the most part since I've been driving

Amsoil in 1999 or 2000. It was the first time I'd really given any thought to synthetic oil. I did some reading and ordered some. I used Amsoil for a few years and then switched to something more readily available (Mobil 1). I still use Amsoil grease FWIW.

Mobil I in about 1978. I think it was 5W-20. Viscosity choices then were few.Used it in a SM 350 that called for a higher viscosity oil. Never had a problem.

I think the first "synthetic" I used was Quaker State 4x4 oil, which was sold in the clear bottles, back around 1994. Can't remember if it was a "Full" or a "Blend". They advertised it as a long-life oil for vehicles that see a lot of off-road use. Used it in my '92 Dodge Dakota 4x4. Seemed to work well. Didn't have any problems with it.

Amsoil 10w-40 1975 in a '74 Chevelle Laguna 400 V8, never had to plug it in to start in winter in N. Minnesota
smile.gif

Some sort of Shell motorcycle oil in the early '90's. I was concerned with the amount of top end wear in single cyl dirt bikes of the time - cam lobes and rockers, cams flogging out in the heads. An XR200 revs to 9,000 rpm, and thrashed hard off road all day on just a litre of oil. I also used BP 5000 when it first came out in my C50 stepthrough, it only held 500mm, so not a big cost. I've hardly used synths since, although non synth oils are now called synthetic, so I guess I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back