best vw oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dexos
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Compare to other oils it is below average in that category. It has pretty high NOACK of 12.4%. Now Castrol I think lowered it to 11%, which is not an achievement.
You can buy within 2 miles much better oils then that. Also, I have not see one TSI engine maintained in VW that does not have CBU issues.

valvoline synpower xtreme XL III C3 5w-30 (VW504.00/507.00)
NOACK of 10.6%
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?a...attach_id=57052

Do not understand what is your point?

Compare to other oils it is below average in that category. It has pretty high NOACK of 12.4%. Now Castrol I think lowered it to 11%, which is not an achievement.
You can buy within 2 miles much better oils then that. Also, I have not see one TSI engine maintained in VW that does not have CBU issues.

NOACK of 10.6%

and you think Castrol Edge 0w40 won't have intake valve carbon issues?

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Be careful if you use Motul oils as only their top of the range German standard (Group 4) full synthetics oils are good, the rest are just cheap junk oils only suitable for non turbo engines and short OCI's.

Can you elaborate a bit about that?
Not talking about the 300V range I assume, but what about the 8100 range? I have easy and relatively cheap access to 8100 0W40 and 5W40...and also their other offering, 6100/4100 etc.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Be careful if you use Motul oils as only their top of the range German standard (Group 4) full synthetics oils are good, the rest are just cheap junk oils only suitable for non turbo engines and short OCI's.

Not talking about the 300V range I assume, but what about the 8100 range? I have easy and relatively cheap access to 8100 0W40 and 5W40...and also their other offering, 6100/4100 etc.

He's over-reaching is his comment. I guess according to UltrafanUK, Group V blends are inferior to a pure Group IV basestock.

Motul has oils with Group V blends.

502.00 (and 505.00/505.01) are suitable for turbo engines but with fixed intervals (up to 10,000 miles or 16,000 km for the US/Canada, due to the higher sulfur gas)

503.00/503.01 can go up to 30,000 km OCI (with the flexible service interval).

NOACK of 10.6%

I'm talking about low NOACK VW specs oil.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

He's over-reaching is his comment. I guess according to UltrafanUK, Group V blends are inferior to a pure Group IV basestock.

502.00 (and 505.00/505.01) are suitable for turbo engines but with fixed intervals (up to 10,000 miles or 16,000 km for the US/Canada, due to the higher sulfur gas)

Anyone doing 30K km OCI's is really pushing their luck if they don't get a UOA done!
I know many new cars sold in the EU do have that kind of max recommended OCI, but those cars also
have a warranty that says the oil consumption is still OK until it reaches 1 liter per 1000 miles.

Most owners with VW cars that are post warranty change their oil at 10 to 20K km max.

I thought Motul 300v which is supposed to be their best oil was a G4 synthoil, but I might have misread the TDS. Although A G5 based oil is as good (Some might say better) as a G4, they do not mix well with other oils, so if 300v is a G5, then I would not use it if you are prone to topping up with other oils.

Last edited:

Anyone doing 30K km OCI's is really pushing their luck if they don't get a UOA done!
I know many new cars sold in the EU do have that kind of max recommended OCI, but those cars also
have a warranty that says the oil consumption is still OK until it reaches 1 liter per 1000 miles.

Most owners with VW cars that are post warranty change their oil at 10 to 20K km max.

I thought Motul 300v which is supposed to be their best oil was a G4 synthoil, but I might have misread the TDS. Although A G5 based oil is as good (Some might say better) as a G4, they do not mix well with other oils, so if 300v is a G5, then I would not use it if you are prone to topping up with other oils.

There's many things you said that are blatantly false that you pass off as fact.

you must of missed the part about using the flexible service interval, it is up to 30,000 km and not understand how it works.

the key phrase is "up to", which does not mean "equal to". So, depending on the oil life monitor, which takes money factors into consideration, will tell you when to change the oil, within a safety margin for which the oil standard it is designed for (503.00, 503.01, 504.00 and equivalent diesel specs). It can very well tell to change your oil sooner, maybe 8000 km.

NOACK of 10.6%

and you think Castrol Edge 0w40 won't have intake valve carbon issues?

It will Question is how much? All oils will develop some carbon deposits regardless of brand, weight etc. BUT, if you can minimize that why not.
In the end, first reason why i stopped using Castrol 5W40 (yes, I used it) is that my Passat 1.8T B5.5 never been able to make more then 4K on that oil and not to have valve lifter knock. No other oil (Castrol 0W30, M1 0W40, Pennzoil Ultra) that I used in that car ever had that issue.

Last edited:
I used the term max recommended not equal to, the key phrases that matter are in the warranty documents and they normally just use maximum service interval, BUT might refer to a max distance limit in addition to an OLM percentage limit. The warranty often includes a warning about the service due light that as important as the ECU will log a hidden fault code that can be used if you continue driving after a warning.

Can anyone list links to a Motul 300V VOA or real info on which base stock it uses, as that oil does have a minor cult following.
I would point out for the other poster, that if you compare the peformance of difference major brand HC or G4 synthetic oils with the same relevant API or Acea specs, they will not be very different and thinking that you can use an oil for a longer service interval just because it's brand X is not a good idea.
The only oils that I can think of that are a bit different are made by Amsoil and some of them contain rather high levels of detergent additives.

If you have a VW engine and a TDI in particular, I would bear in mind that even the newer ones use cheap bearings and metals and it is important to use an oil with a high level of anti wear, extreme pressure and friction modifier additives AND get a UOA or two done before you start threads or comments about which OCI to use, as we get far too many threads about OCI limits that lack UOA data.
If your car is not under warranty, look at the real world results of using Ceratec (Half a can is enough) and doing 2 for 1 oil to filter changes. With most newer VW engines I would just change oil every 15K km and oil filter at the max recommended limit (Might be OLM or distance) IF the engine is not one known for fuel contamination. That should be OK in warranty terms.

VW seem to be using Xw30's rather than 20's, which should be good until the block is worn enough to make using an Xw40 a good idea. None of the German VW owners I know that have post warranty cars use Xw30's in summer, they all use 0 or 5w40's, as do all the Iffy lubes in the EU. I asked one senior chap why that was and he said the main reason was that too many cars were running out of oil after long high speed autobahn trips. Top of the list were VW!

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you use an xW-30 or xW-40.

VW 502 oils are ACEA A3/B4 oils, and spec an HTHS of >3.5. People get hung up on the "weight" of the oil, but when dealing with Euro spec oils the "weight" is an arbitrary number. Most are thick 30s/thin 40s.

If you use the specified oil, you can use the specified interval. Some oils may perform better long term, but I truly feel it is a negligible difference.

Use the spec, use the interval, don't sweat the small stuff. Choice of oil alone (within specifications) will not have a long term effect, IMHO, on engine longevity OR carbon deposits.

And for the love of God, can you go one day without mentioning Ceratec?

Variable service regime is only meant for a certain type of use (gentle long distance driving at a constant speed). Fixed interval regime is the best one for engine protection. No one makes a group 5 504.00 507.00 oil. Group 3 and 4 oils perform so similar to each other the real world difference cant be measured in wear. In this day and age you will struggle to find an oil that wont protect a turbocharger so as long as the oil meets the performance standard and viscosity recommended by VW then it's correct for the application, which is THE most important thing when selecting an oil for your engine. A G3 oil in the correct application will perform better than a G5 oil in the wrong application.

Most VWs use 504/507 hence XW-30 for years. New engines now on 0W-20

Ultrafan, I notice Ceratec was dropped in thread again. Where is this UOA you keep going on about ? Or is it with the ring stick data. Also what are your 'limits ' for UOA?

Nothing specifically oily to add.

I just wanted to say that I'm a bit of a devotee of the HonestJohn website (link below). It's a UK based car website that answers letters from folks who are having problems with their cars.

One of the running themes in his problem pages is just how many engine/transmission problems ordinary people experience with their VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat cars. It would take too long to detail all the specifics but it does look like VAG had deep seated problems with a lot of their engineering, long before Dieselgate broke. I long ago decided VAG wasn't for me (the wife bought a Lupo which was utter tat!). I'm now wondering if VAG are destined to go the way of British Leyland; another company that at one time people said was too big to fail.

Here's the link...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

Last edited:
I doubt that. For everyone who thinks VW is of equal or lesser quality to other brands, you find 10 people who think it's the best thing since sliced bread. That's why they're topping the sales charts in Europe.

BL never did sell that well outside of the commonwealth...

I don't have the technical background in engineering and chemistry like some of the folks here do, but for what it's worth, I use Castrol 0w40 Euro in my Passat and don't have any complaints. 7,500 mile OCI with an OE filter from the dealership and she runs great.

David

It's a shame about BL but that's what happens when closet communists get in control of making products. In the free enterprise system we aim to make products that people want to buy whereas in their commie brains they decided to make products they wanted people to buy. Unfortunately the products they wanted people to buy had, like they themselves, about as much character and charisma as a damp rag and were miffed when people weren't tripping over each other to buy various shades of grey and brown soulless cars.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
It's a shame about BL but that's what happens when closet communists get in control of making products. In the free enterprise system we aim to make products that people want to buy whereas in their commie brains they decided to make products they wanted people to buy. Unfortunately the products they wanted people to buy had, like they themselves, about as much character and charisma as a damp rag and were miffed when people weren't tripping over each other to buy various shades of grey and brown soulless cars.

What?

I was taking the mickey out of British Leyland and the phenomenally bad products that the management tried to get the public to purchase. There were some successes though.

Last edited:
what you cannot get through your thick skull is, how VW specifications work.

VW lists all the performance properties and allowable weights.

There is no separate 5w40 specific VW502.00 specification.
There is no separate 0w40 specific VW502.00 specification
There is no separate 5w30 specific VW502.00 specification.
There is no separate 0w30 specific VW502.00 specification.

All allowable oil weights have to meet the same specification.

So, with your anecdotal argument, the Audi R8 with the V8, if Audi says VW502.00 is acceptable, then any weight that has the certification from VAG that says it meets VW502.00 can be used.

The R8 with the V10, VW502.00 isn't specified. VAG dug out an obsoleted oil spec (501.01), and updated it, to be a 10w60, specific for that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back