Napa Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does one find a product info sheet for this oil? I didn't see it on the NAPA site but I could have missed it.

It always seems like this oil is on sale. I've heard it's Valvoline, but with a weaker additive package (don't know if that's true or not).

I do know that Valvoline doesn't use any Molly in their oil, instead relaying on sodium....which goes against the grain of most oil manufacturers...not sure if that's a good thing or not. I have used the product and I do find that I tend to go through a little more oil than with other brands. I've also seen many people report that they wouldn't do extended drains with this oil...more like 5,000-6,000 miles. I tend to agree.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread, I am sure KC will recognize it, but what he said about base stocks appears to be the only difference between Synpower and Napa Syn. Looking at the pds for both, you would notice that the cold pumping viscosity for synpower is a little better than napa, a little thinner at very cold temps. Ashland does claim to use 5-10% group IV oil in Synpower as part of the basestock. They do not claim this for NAPA. That would explain the difference in cold pumping. Otherwise, the TBN, antiwear additives etc are close enough to be identical to each other. So in my opinion, in short, Synpower is Group III and IV mixture, and NAPA is all group III, there is your price difference.

Side note: I have used both, and really liked both but I really loved the NAPA sales. Used them in a frontier, direct injection 4.0, a little hard on oil and both of the oils held up really well out to 5k miles, I wouldn't use any oil past that in that vehicle because of timing chain issues that can occur. Anyways, use either oil with confidence, look on our UOA section you will see very many good UOA reports with napa.

I run it in the wife's Jeep Cherokee when its on sale and it still looks good around 7,500-8000 miles combined with a wix filter.

Like stated previously its made by ashland oil and the additive pack is very similar to the valvoline. It's a good group III oil IMO, I'd buy some more but I just bought two cases of pennzoil platinum from NAPA on sale/rebate for $2.99 a quart last month.

It faired pretty well in PQIA testing seen below:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/napasyn.htm

Its difficult to find a uoa of valvoline where the oil was unfit for service. Thats pretty good since there are always some uoas of problematic engines. Or mechanical or timmimg/fuel issues.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would consider it equal to Mobil Super synthetic or Super Tech full syn, both of which are very good oils IMO. If you scrutinize the data sheets carefully, it is pretty obvious that Synpower uses better base stocks, but otherwise the add packs are very similar. I don't consider it an extended drain syn, (Synpower is not exactly stellar at that either IMO) but it should be a very good pick for 5-7k OCI's in most applications.

JMO.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back