Thunderstorms & Power Outages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Where in Upstate NY? My parents live north of Utica and it's not uncommon for the power to go out for a few hours after a storm. When they first moved to that house in 2006, I remember the power would go out for probably 30 minutes every day. This was for a year or so.

When I moved to Syracuse, I am really surprised that in 5 years I have only lost power once. It does help that I am on the same grid as the hospitals - though, everyone else on my street is on a different power grid. Really strange. The last few times others by me have lost power, I have had it - and my apartment complex was the only one with light

I'm on the Great Sacandaga Lake (reservoir.) My house is about 8 miles north of the lake on the Sacandaga River/Stony Creek tributary.

Neat! There's some really interesting documentaries about the people who used to live outside of Northville but were forced into the woods a bit when the reservoir was built. I have drove around the reservoir a few times - my father's family is from Wells so we are out that way occasionally

Do you have a link to the documentaries? I'd like to check that out.

Wells is a nice area. I love living up here. I think it's funny when people mention Sacandaga Lake, I always have to correct them and let them know it's a reservoir. lol

I work just south of Albany, and my UPS reports more than 30 outages last year. 3 were more than 30 minutes. Most were pretty short (< 1min.) and not storm related.

I do have access to a generator (and know how to use it safely)if my freezer is going to defrost or I need to run the well pump.

I don't get worried until I see zombies.

we have has lightening blow the fuse on the transformer that serves the power area block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back