[Cut Open] Fram XG10575 - 4912mi

Yes I know, under used ( it does have 246 hrs on it).

It is mangled both from removal (Thanks Planet Ford) and from me trying to get it out of the bent can. White stuff is parts of the label.

Anyway:

XG10575a.jpg

XG10575b.jpg

XG10575c.jpg

XG10575d.jpg

XG10575e.jpg

XG10575f.jpg

Robert - great looking filter. I like to use the filter specific wrenches to keep from ruining the filter. Sometimes they don't fit well when they use the non-slip grip. Thanks for the cut and post.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
...I like to use the filter specific wrenches to keep from ruining the filter. ...

I do too if it won't just come off by hand. Dealer did this one...

That is however about the only thing I don't like about the Ultra is the goop on the end makes using a proper cup wrench difficult.

The Ford dealer must use this filter for a reason. Interesting they don't use their own. They do make the Pro series without the grippy stuff.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The Ford dealer must use this filter for a reason. Interesting they don't use their own. They do make the Pro series without the grippy stuff.

no, no,no ... The Ford dealer did not put it on, they took it off ...

Haven't checked on pro series.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
...I like to use the filter specific wrenches to keep from ruining the filter. ...

That is however about the only thing I don't like about the Ultra is the goop on the end makes using a proper cup wrench difficult.

That's why I don't use the XG10575 on my wife's Mustang. The standard end cap wrench won't fit; I test fit the wrench before installing it and took the one XG10575 I bought back to Walmart years ago instead of using it.

I use Mobil 1 M1-212 filters on her car, $8.99 after $5 coupon when O'Reilly has their Cash Countdown. I haven't gone out of my way to hunt down FPS 10575 filters.

You don't need a wrench to screw on an oil filter. You're only supposed to tighten it by hand. The grip is awesome
smile.gif

What size of cup wrench are you using if I may ask?

Triton

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Triton

Sorry missed this...

I was speaking generally, I don't have a cup wrench specifically for this one AFAIK - though I have quite a few from my dealer days so I might have one to fit. This filter will usually get changed by someone else...

Triton

Sorry missed this...

I was speaking generally, I don't have a cup wrench specifically for this one AFAIK - though I have quite a few from my dealer days so I might have one to fit. This filter will usually get changed by someone else...

Oh... Well, see...

The reason I asked is because I used one on my truck (I know, I'm supposed to use the XG2 rather than XG10575, but both have the same gasket, threads, and relief pressure) - and well, I couldn't get it off the last time I went to change my oil. And I'm the one who put it on (by hand) the last time. It's weird, I swear every time I've used a Fram, it's like the seal gets tighter and thus impossible to take the filter off. One time before I used a PH2, and the same thing happened just like I'm having issues now with the XG10575...

I *cannot* get it off by hand. And I didn't put it on too tight, I always make sure of it. So it's gotta be something about Fram's gaskets that increase the seal pressure or something.

So, the reason I asked, is because either I'm gonna need to know what cup wrench can fit this so I can get one and take it off myself the next time I change my oil... Or, I'm gonna have to take it to my local mechanic (run by people I know and trust, almost family friends what with the amount of business my dad has had with them and his vehicles), which will cost me more than doing it myself [obviously].

If it's possible, would you be able to tell me the size of cup wrench that would fit on a 10575? (If not, no worries).

~ Triton

Triton

Sorry missed this...

Oh... Well, see...

The reason I asked is because I used one on my truck (I know, I'm supposed to use the XG2 rather than XG10575, but both have the same gasket, threads, and relief pressure) - and well, I couldn't get it off the last time I went to change my oil. And I'm the one who put it on (by hand) the last time. It's weird, I swear every time I've used a Fram, it's like the seal gets tighter and thus impossible to take the filter off. One time before I used a PH2, and the same thing happened just like I'm having issues now with the XG10575...

I *cannot* get it off by hand. And I didn't put it on too tight, I always make sure of it. So it's gotta be something about Fram's gaskets that increase the seal pressure or something.

So, the reason I asked, is because either I'm gonna need to know what cup wrench can fit this so I can get one and take it off myself the next time I change my oil... Or, I'm gonna have to take it to my local mechanic (run by people I know and trust, almost family friends what with the amount of business my dad has had with them and his vehicles), which will cost me more than doing it myself [obviously].

If it's possible, would you be able to tell me the size of cup wrench that would fit on a 10575? (If not, no worries).

~ Triton

I have also put on filters by hand and was careful to not over tighten the filter. Then not be able to get the filter off by hand. This is not specific to FRAM.

1. A swivel wrench is not ideal, but will work in a pinch.

2. Since you know which filter is on the truck, you could go to the auto parts store and try the cup wrenches on a new filter with same PN.

My 2 cents.

~ Triton

I can tell you the XG10575 is too fat for the 3" (76 mm) 14 flutes cap style wrench I use on my wife's Mustang (same wrench has zero problems on M1-212, QS173, etc. oil filters).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autoc...l+filter+wrench

That's why I returned the one XG10575 I purchased without using it. I'm sticking to M1-212 filters for her car.

FWIW the XG2 for my truck fits just fine in the cap wrench for that size (93 mm) that also fits the Purolator PSL24651 and Mopar MO-090 filters.

If you have sufficient access something like this will get it off:

51Er2j9L4jL._SL1100_.jpg

Oil Filter Pliers

This is probably what destroyed the above filter, but you don't have to use maximum force all the time.

Best $10 I've ever spent

8104028.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie

Best $10 I've ever spent

8104028.jpg

I have one of those and don't much care for it...

different strokes for different folks though...

Triton

Sorry missed this...

Oh... Well, see...

~ Triton

Weird I have a 5.0 and 5.4 and use both series of filters and they come off easy as long as you follow the 3/4 turn after the gasket touches rule maybe fram is different but I've used multiple xgs and never had a problem getting them off

Back