Mechanic-In-A- Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son in law was given an old Yard Man two stroke snow blower. I went on a snowblower website where it was recommended that I use "Mechanic-In-A-Bottle" additive to first clean out the carb prior to actully starting the machine. I have never heard of this additive but it seems to have impressive reviews from small enine owners. Has anyone used this before? The snowblower has not been started in years.

Never heard of it. Is it a spray can or a fuel additive?

I usually use either sta-bil marine or seafoam to treat my unleaded "jerry can" and then use that to mix up smaller quantities of 2-stroke mix... Seems to keep my infrequently used carbs working in the same shape as they were immediately after rebuilding (I have exclusively perviously-well-used equipment, and most if it was rehabbed for the least possible cost).

Marvel mystery oil.bardoil.stp. I taught i heard it all but this?never heard.And its to clean carburator? Only way i know how to clean a carburator is to start a camera on your self dismount it.dismantle it.clean it and then reassemble.and view your self to make sure you didmt put the alternator in there

I've never quite figured out why so many people are so hesitant to just pull a carb and clean/rebuild it. They are extremely simple, and then you'll know exactly what condition the carburetor is in when you go to start the engine.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Only way i know how to clean a carburator is to start a camera on your self dismount it.dismantle it.clean it and then reassemble.and view your self to make sure you didmt put the alternator in there

If you actually have to film yourself rebuilding something as simple as a small engine carb then you should probably take it to a professional in the first place. There is nothing difficult about rebuilding them, and the consist of only a few small parts.

You do proper method or dont touch. I hate to trouble shoot error from experienced mechanic its always stuff owner of the car can tell will bring problem. One of my favorite. Using steel hose as support for wire. Rofl.mechanic shrug his shoulder and say acoumamatata

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
acoumamatata

crackmeup2.gif

I use it as a gasoline preservative. Not really to clean carbs. I have a five gallon gas tank with fuel treated with it and its lasted over a year. No issues with any of my OPE carbs gumming up either after setting a few months.

I have dosed fuel or shot carb cleaner down the throat with a 3 for 4 average of success. Every time I take apart a carb, there is always the risk of losing some little widget. I like B 12 Chemtool in the fuel. My latest discovery with B 12 is that if it doesnt work immediately, give it a week, just sitting. Then try to start. I was on the way to the bench with the weed wacker to tear down the carb. I gave it a pull and it started. Similar happened with Toro lawn mower. B 12 is very aromatic. Toluene, xylene, acetone all used as paint thinners and octane boosters etc. I will try it before I take a carb apart. Too many hours spent hunting for springs and geezus clips that got away.
grin2.gif

PS Pop R is right as usual,The Zama carb is hand assembled and very well idiot proofed . Washers and dryers are engineered this way too
grin2.gif

Last edited:
My understanding is that it is sold in four ounce bottles. The recommendation was to let it soak in the carb overnight to help clean the jet. It could also be added to 10 gallons of gas.

I've never seen any product that is capable of dissolving the deposits in gummed up carburetors. I'm certain that liquid paint stripper with methylene chloride would probably be strong enough, but at what cost to the needle and seat, plastic float+bowl and so on.

Take it apart if it's gummed up and carefully, but properly clean it.

I used half bottle of Mechanic-In-A- Bottle in my snow blower, Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490. It did not help. Prior to adding the cleaner, I tried to remove the carb but was unable to. Appreciated if anyone has remove this carb before can give me some pointers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back