New blower runs awful right out of the box

I found a clearance sale on Walmart's website that was too good of a deal to pass up which was a Yard Machines 2 stroke combo pack of a 25cc leaf blower and straight shaft string trimmer for $138 and free shipping. Like at that price the trimmer is nearly free couldn't say no even if I didn't need the trimmer. I received the blower/trimmer and the blower runs like garbage. Blows smoke pretty bad out of the exhaust. Really low and bogging idle. Extremely wonky varied RPM's at wide open throttle. It often wants to die at idle and does. It's really easy to start but aint happening if you shut off the engine and go to restart it once its warmed up. I am not the most well versed in 2 strokes but should this be a carb tune away from running optimally? The trimmer I got works very well but at at WOT the engine immediately bogs down and wants to die. That one I know is just a small H screw adjustment from being perfect. I seriously am doubting Yard Machines's quality control after receiving these two engines.

Return the Yard Machine :poop:. For an additional $11 you could have gotten an echo hand held 25 cc blower at Home Depot with a 5 year warranty. Minus the “free” trimmer but……:oops:

In the long run, you will be happier spending a little more on a higher quality blower and forgetting about the trimmer you hint that you don't need.

i tune mine sometimes to every container of new gas. even a small variation in the fuel / oil ratio can make them run bad. find out where the L/H screws are and tune away. even these cheap yard equipment can be kept running a lot longer than one would think if they are taken care of. i have a ryobi trimmer going on 20 years and it still runs like new

You guys are definitely right about probably spending the same on something quality and forgetting about the trimmer but I'll admit the trimmer is actually awesome compared to the curved shaft one Ive been using for a few years. No more needing to hunch over and I can really get into some hard to reach places with it. I'll attempt tinkering with the L/H screws and the idle screw and see if that improves anything on the blower otherwise I'll just learn my lesson and return it but due to the awesomeness of the straight shaft I gotta try and see if this blower can be redeemed.

Return the Yard Machine :poop:. For an additional $11 you could have gotten an echo hand held 25 cc blower at Home Depot with a 5 year warranty. Minus the “free”

Affordable, high quality, and reliable. My string trimmer, blower, tiller, and chainsaw are all Echo

Return the Yard Machine :poop:. For an additional $11 you could have gotten an echo hand held 25 cc blower at Home Depot with a 5 year warranty. Minus the “free” trimmer but……:oops:
+1 on the Echo recommendation. I've got their leaf blower, string trimmer, tiller, and chainsaw and all were reasonably priced, start easily, and are great running very reliable machines. I put a new clutch in the chainsaw during the sixth year of ownership and that's the only repair out of the 4 machines. Great warranty but I never needed it!

I have found on several occasions that the carb is misadjusted right out of the box. You will need the tool if you are going to tweek it.

I would return it and go to an ope shop and but a Commercial brand. I have a Husky string trimmer that is 22 years old and still runs like a champ and starts instantly after sitting all winter.

I don’t know how big your property is but unless it’s huge you might wanna return those machines that will give you issues every year and just go with a cordless electric setup. They’ve come down in price and everyone makes cordless lawn equipment these days so you can get stuff that’ll share batteries with your drill.

That or I‘d look for a good used blower from husky/stihl/echo. I see them around me all the time for less than 100 dollars CAD. New ones aren’t particularly expensive either. I use all husky in my lawn business and none of it ever fails me.

Sounds overly rich, likely carb needle damaged or stuck, possibly pop off spring pressure is bad. Without special tools, you can't even adjust the H/L screws on new equipment these days thanks to the lovely EPA...

Every Poulin chain saw I've had you had to adjust the carb right out of the box. They should include the special torx driver needed.

Sounds like a carb issue to me. Yeah, straight shaft is much better. I have a straight shaft Echo that I quite like

I purchased a Bolens string trimmer years ago. Even with a better sparkplug which helped it still was of terrible quality. After 3 years it stopped working. I went at the end of the year and picked up a Stihl fs-38 for $140. It's been an Amazing trimmer. Five years and it still runs great.

I purchased a Bolens string trimmer years ago. Even with a better sparkplug which helped it still was of terrible quality. After 3 years it stopped working. I went at the end of the year and picked up a Stihl fs-38 for $140. It's been an Amazing trimmer. Five years and it still runs great.
Bolens yard machines and about 5 other brands are owned by the same conglomerate.

Back