2016 Colorado Duramax 2.8L Oil Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the oil spec for the new '16 Colorado diesel trucks? I've tried Googling it but can't find an answer. Just that it has a 6qt capacity. Thanks.

use mobil delvac1 le 5w30
Meets or exceeds the requirements of:
•ACEA E9, E7, E6
•API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, SN
•JASO DH-2
•Caterpillar ECF-3
•Cummins CES 20081
•DAF Extended Drain
•Ford WSS-M2C171-E

Has the following builder approvals:
•MB-Approval 235.28, 228.51, 228.31
•MAN M 3677, 3477
•Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3
•Deutz DQC IV-10 LA
•Detroit Diesel DDC Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218
•Mack EO-O Premium Plus
•MTU Oil Category 3.1
•Renault Truck RLD-3, RLD-2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
What's the oil spec for the new '16 Colorado diesel trucks? I've tried Googling it but can't find an answer. Just that it has a 6qt capacity. Thanks.

Dexos2

Last edited:
The diesel supplements are not online yet or sounds of it they are not out. So far, the only thing we can do is guess at this point.

Originally Posted By: NH73
The diesel supplements are not online yet or sounds of it they are not out. So far, the only thing we can do is guess at this point.

Ya, I found the 2016 Owner's Manual and where it states the oil specs it says to refer to the "Diesel Supplemental Guide" for the diesel oil spec.

Sorry for the rubbish photo, but here's one off my phone that I took late last year while sitting in the back seat of one.

IMG_20150910_171350.jpg

Originally Posted By: NH73

Wrong, the supplement came with the truck my father and step mother purchased. As I already stated it requires 5w-30 Dexos2. That's not a guess, it's a fact.

The little Dmax is based almost entirely on the VM Motori 2.8L that I had in a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Great motor. GM owned a significant portion of VM until 2013, and the chief engineer for the 2.8L Dmax came over from VM. Except for some minor variances and the latest emission control stuff, it is essentially the same motor, and the 2006 version, the manual only required CI-4. The manual on that VM did recommend Mobil. I would just use any 5w30 CJ-4 HDEO. Delvac, Delo, Rotella, Amsoil, Schaeffer, etc, take your pick. My personal preference would be the Schaeffer or Delvac. Of course, we get the new CK-4 and FA-4 oils by next year.

Oh, and Green Diesel Engineering is getting a 2.8L Colorado in so that they can work up a ECM tune for it. I used one of their tunes to basically shut down the EGR thru the ECM on my 2006 and increased average mpg from 28 mpg to 32 mpg. Oil stayed significantly cleaner for much longer. Talked with GDE recently and the confirm that the new Dmax is essentially a VM Motori engine and will be easy to tune up.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The little Dmax is based almost entirely on the VM Motori 2.8L that I had in a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Great motor. GM owned a significant portion of VM until 2013, and the chief engineer for the 2.8L Dmax came over from VM. Except for some minor variances and the latest emission control stuff, it is essentially the same motor, and the 2006 version, the manual only required CI-4. The manual on that VM did recommend Mobil. I would just use any 5w30 CJ-4 HDEO. Delvac, Delo, Rotella, Amsoil, Schaeffer, etc, take your pick. My personal preference would be the Schaeffer or Delvac. Of course, we get the new CK-4 and FA-4 oils by next year.

Oh, and Green Diesel Engineering is getting a 2.8L Colorado in so that they can work up a ECM tune for it. I used one of their tunes to basically shut down the EGR thru the ECM on my 2006 and increased average mpg from 28 mpg to 32 mpg. Oil stayed significantly cleaner for much longer. Talked with GDE recently and the confirm that the new Dmax is essentially a VM Motori engine and will be easy to tune up.

I am pretty sure Liberty CRDs listed MB 229.3 or 229.5; Mobil 1 0w40 being the most common oil. Chrysler MS-10725 is mentioned now, but I don't remember that being listed 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Sorry for the rubbish photo, but here's one off my phone that I took late last year while sitting in the back seat of one.

IMG_20150910_171350.jpg

Engine Oil Specification: SAE 5w30 Dexos2

...if I read that correctly! Thanks for the pic!

You wouldn't be concerned with the Dexos2 spec?

If your not concerned about the warrenty.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

I am pretty sure Liberty CRDs listed MB 229.3 or 229.5; Mobil 1 0w40 being the most common oil. Chrysler MS-10725 is mentioned now, but I don't remember that being listed 10 years ago.

Could be somewhere, but not in my manual I got with my '06 Liberty CRD. It did recommend Mobil 0w40, though I never used it, but I never saw a recommendation of an MB spec. I just used a 5w40 synthetic. I put about 110K miles on it and sold it to my son. Not sure the miles he has on it, but he is using the same 5w40 CJ-4 I did.

No. Just like I am not concerned with the dexos1 spec. While the oils I use claim to be dexos compliant, they are not on the "approved' list and I don't lose any sleep over it. There are millions of commercial trucks from diesel vans all the way up to class 8 that are all using CJ-4 oils. MB, Volvo, Paccar, Cummins, Izusu, and the list goes on and on. And warranty is of little concern for me when it comes to the oil issue. I have never had a dealer of both personal and commercial dealers I have dealt with that ever even asked what oil I was using. And yes, I have had warranty repairs done. Just like dealing with police, this is one area that one should just keep their fat mouth shut. If the dealer does ask, then say you are using what the manual recommends. They are going to have a real tough time trying to prove what you are using is the fault of any problem. Especially if it is a modern name brand syn blend or synthetic. But, some folks just spend their life worrying about things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back