New vehicle finish. Is there really a sealant out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Don't really want to get into the Nu finish war, but doesn't it leave a white stain on the black rubber and plastic?

Plenty of good sealants don't these days so if true, that would be a good practical reason to try something else.

Yes it does and yes there are plenty of quality products you don't have to worry about that with.

It will stain black trim if you are careless but it comes off easy with a detail brush and a detail spray. This XC70 was just treated with Nufinish and there is not a speck of white residue on the black parts/trim. Again Nufinish is a top quality product and that is not an opinion, it is fact. It shines well and protect and out lasts most if not all other sealants. All of these vehicles were done by me in my shop with NuFinish. Some of them were posted and asked what "wax" was on them and everyone guessed much "higher end" waxes. People got [censored] when I posted the bottle of Nufinish next to the vehicles LOL.
I use everything in my shop and know what works and doesn't. I used NuFinish on clients vehicles that want protection and longevity over shine. In nearly 24 years not a single customer complained about NuFinish. I just don't like to see a good product bashed that dosn't deserve it.

photo 100_4148_zps0c2f361d.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastEddie

Well that's your opinion. If I feel nufiish is [censored], as do MANY others, it's our opinion. I think Nufinish is a mediocre product and I've tested it over and over again on Tow Trucks we don't car about (obviously) against the competition. It's mediocre at best and that's my opinion. [/quote]

Well of course it is not going to perform on a tow truck you don't care about. Proper prep is key for any wax/sealant. When you don't take the time or care enough to put in the work and prep the paint properly, no product will work or last to its full potential.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Chris B,

Are you affiliated with NuFinish in any way, shape or form?

No not at all. Ive been on this forum for a long time and posted about a lot of products. I just get sick and tired seeing a good product get bashed over and over by people who obviously have never tried it or given it a fair shake.

Grampi constantly bashed NuFinish till I told him to put up or shut up. He never could produce a single picture of a vehicle he detailed and was proven to be full of [removed].

One thing you see spouted on the net is that NuFinish "destroys paint" if used long term. Well there is a member on here that posts his 20 year old Jeep that looks new and has had nothing but NuFinish applied to the paint for its entire life. The Blue GMC above above is over 20 years old and has have over 40 applications of NuFinish in its life and the paint is mint.

people spout this bull [removed] and it is simply not true. There is so much nonsense and myths on these forums about a lot of products and I try to dispel them when I see them. I just get sick of the [removed]. You should see me jump on [removed] on the gun forums. Gun forums put car forums to shame with the amount of [removed] on them. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using the paste version of NuFinish for over 20+ years and I agree with CR that it is a great product for those who don't enjoy waxing every month or two. Ed

Another NuFinish user here. Been using the liquid version for decades never had a problem with the clear coat. If the vehicle lives outside in direct sunlight its whole life there's not much that can be done to stop the damage of ultraviolet rays. It's great on light colored cars. More difficult on dark colored cars because of its chalky nature.

I'm always into trying products and recently I tried Turtle Wax ice synthetic wax. And that's where my new love started for this product. You can spray it literally on everything. Windows trim bumpers paint everything! It acts like Rain-X on the windows. So for the ease-of-use I'm using Turtle Wax ice synthetic wax now. Wipe it on after every wash a little bit. Need more applications more often I really love this stuff

I was happy with NuFinish on my older cars, but I last waxed my Vue in 2014 and I can still find areas of white! Nooks and crannies and trim staining.
I ordered Collinite 845 for the new Sportwagen. The reviews sold me.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I was happy with NuFinish on my older cars, but I last waxed my Vue in 2014 and I can still find areas of white! Nooks and crannies and trim staining.
I ordered Collinite 845 for the new Sportwagen. The reviews sold me.

This? Colonite Amazon

^yep - that's the stuff everyone raves about. Long lasting, goes on super thin and easy to remove. Won't stain trim. Haven't used it yet, but hope that it is easy enough so I'll use it more than once a year
wink.gif

Search on here or Google and you'll find tons of discussion on 845

Don't know anyone who needs this much, but better deal: 3x 845 for $36.99

NuFinish never did anything wrong for me, but I found other stuff I like better. I really like Jet Seal by Chemical Guys. It's kinda pricey, but a little goes a long way and seems to last better than others I've used. A sealant in general seems to hold up better than wax. I follow each wash with Meguiars D156 synthetic spray wax. I really like that stuff.

My clearcoat on a plastic Saturn spoiler began oxidizing or something after using Nufinish. The rest of the car seemed unaffected.

It was as if it was toxic or acid burns. I keep a bottle for pretty much CHROME only now-a-days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
My clearcoat on a plastic Saturn spoiler began oxidizing or something after using Nufinish. The rest of the car seemed unaffected.

It was as if it was toxic or acid burns. I keep a bottle for pretty much CHROME only now-a-days.

It's not NuFinish it's the Saturn paint job. Google it the Saturn forums are full of threads complaining about peeling Saturn clearcoat.

I thought I'd mention a sealant I've used that I've been really pleased with: Meguiar's M21. I use it once a year and have been impressed with how well it holds up. My cars are outside 100% of the time and this is the longest-lasting sealant or wax I've found.

It's easy to apply, too. You might give that a shot if the other products don't work out.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Well of course it is not going to perform on a tow truck you don't care about. Proper prep is key for any wax/sealant. When you don't take the time or care enough to put in the work and prep the paint properly, no product will work or last to its full potential.

Every car I seal or wax is prepped properly, I'm a professional full time detailer that has over $600 worth of different waxes, sealants, coatings and prep products. I've got bottles of nufinish that are 10 years old and ones that are 3 months old. I have my opinion and it's based on testing and performance. I for one, as with all pro detailers, judge vehicles based on what they look like under halogens, LED spotlights, or full sun. Pictures of cars parked in the shade or some reflection shot does nothing for me.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I follow each wash with Meguiars D156 synthetic spray wax. I really like that stuff.

Me too, it has become a staple in my arsenal of products.

I saw a couple people suggest Opti Coat, it's a additional ceramic coating. Don't be afraid of the application or the cost. That is what you want. No wax or sealant will protect you from scratches, but Opti Coat will. A friend of mine has it on his cars. It is incredible stuff.

As for just helping the paint last. Most store products give you a couple months of protection and that is it. I just bumped a sealant thread in this forum because it is durable and looks excellent. Read through it.

NuFinish has solvents, and older formulas had abrasiveness. It is a cleaner wax that is durable but the shine isn't very good. You've had two paint jobs fail oddly soon while using it, I would switch to something else and use it for door jams or under your hood.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
New vehicle finish. Is there really a sealant out there that works?

I’ve had the clear coat finish die on my 2001 Silverado and 2008 Civic. I always maintain the finished by washing and waxing (I’m a Nufinish fan, BTW). So with the potential purchase of a new vehicle coming up, I ask you all, is there any kind of sealant that we can purchase and put on our vehicles that will REALLY protect the clear coat finish?

And, no, I would not buy one of those dealers’ sealant jobs that claim to protect.

I can't speak to the Silverado, but the reason you civic had paint issues is more likely the result of Honda poor paint quality. I had an 08 civic and received an extended warrantee for the paint. Unfortunately by the time I brought the car in to the dealer it was one month beyond the 7 year coverage and even though it was quite clear the paint had been peeling off for a couple of months, Honda wouldn't do anything for me. My son now has the car and the entire roof is almost paint free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back