BMW E65 740i oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I hope I have posted in the right forum.
I am looking for advice regarding my next oil change on the above car, it has done 51000 miles and I am in the UK.

I am looking at oils from the below manufactures:-
Shell professional AM-L 5w-30
Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 or ESP 0w-40
I have also seen a number of oils from Fuchs, Motul and Liqui Moly.
The choice is bewildering, I would like to get the best protection for the engine and particularly the valvetronic system.

From reading online I think I should be looking for a high HTHS Number but I am unsure how it all ties together with the rest of the oils specs.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Karl

What oil does the car spec from the factory?

What are weather conditions in your area?

What are your driving habits?

Walmart Supertech 5W30. The value of this 'shed 7' is dropping like a rock off the Empire state building. Just drive it.

Last edited:
So that's the N62B40 4.0L V8 petrol engine I assume.

I would use a full synthetic ACEA A3/B4 oil that also carried the BMW LongLife-01 spec. There should be lots of those. The better ones will also be MB 229.5 oils.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
What oil does the car spec from the factory?

What are weather conditions in your area?

What are your driving habits?

The car specs Castrol 5w-30 LL-04, never been a fan of Castrol oils.
At the moment the weather is around 0-10Deg C but should hopefully be warming up in the next couple of months.
I am a fairly sedate driver but do occasionally like to put my foot down on the motorway and A roads.

Originally Posted By: SR5
So that's the N62B40 4.0L V8 petrol engine I assume.

I would use a full synthetic ACEA A3/B4 oil that also carried the BMW LongLife-01 spec. There should be lots of those. The better ones will also be MB 229.5 oils.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 comes to mind.

That is correct on the engine, I believe it is the TU version but not sure if that makes a difference?

I will have a look and see what Euro car parts carries locally, that meets your suggestions.
Many thanks

If the car specs BMW LL-04, that's a low SAPS oil, ACEA C3. Fine because you have very low sulphur fuel in Europe.

In that case I would look for a name brand full synthetic oil with BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51

The MB specs are a higher standard than the BMW oil specs, so if you get an oil that meets both, it's top quality and suitable for your car. Typically they will be 5W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-40. If BMW say 5W-30, that's fine, just make sure it meets BMW specs.

Get a respected name brand: Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra, Valvoline SynPower, Fuchs, LiquiMoly, Motul, etc

I don't think one brand is better than another, but I do think some oil specs are tougher than others. In this case chase a MB 229.51 oil that also carries BMW LL-04. (in Australia with higher sulphur fuels I would use MB 229.5 & BMW LL-01, but in Europe I would use the LL-04 as recommended by BMW).

Hi Karl,

The Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 is a great choice, but anything with the LL-01 approval would absolutely work.

Mobil 1 syn oils have been proven for 4 or 5 decades now. Castrol makes great oils also. As does Shell, Valvoline and many others. Look for your specification on the oil you choose. If it meets the spec on that BMW it will be a great oil.

And
welcome2.gif
to the site. Enjoy.

Motul 8100 5W-40 X-Cess. See your BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, and raise the stakes: 8100 is licensed in Deutschland as vollsynthetische.

Which other products are still in now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back