Supertech vs Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
While picking up Mobil oil today at Walmart I noticed that they did have a filter for my Camry. Cheap enough to grab. I've been meaning to order filters for the Camry but... haven't... and I really ought to do the change this weekend.

Last I read, Toyota prefers flow over filtration? Any reason why I shouldn't trust a ST filter to run a typical 10k OCI?

I opened the box and it looks like other Toyota filters I've bought, but of course I don't have one on hand to compare.

Filters are only 1/15th as restrictive to flow as an engine's oiling system, so there is no such thing as "flow over filtration".

I think ST oil filters are fine but if I were doing a 10K OCI I'd step up to a FU or at least a FTG...

I would not say that. I would say that Toyota has never put oil as a priority. They just don't seem to care how much they burn if they get full of sludge whatever. So they don't care that the Denso / Toyota filter has abysmal efficiency. I have used very high efficiency filters including the Fram Ultra which is on my old oil burning Camry right now

Quote:
I think ST oil filters are fine but if I were doing a 10K OCI I'd step up to a FU or at least a FTG...

+1.

I have used these filters in other guises (Napa PS/Silver, Pro-Tec) and they are good. I would not run them 10k however. The nitrile combo valve is not my favorite and since the model for our Lexus has it, your Camry's model likely is the same (x1348 is the Wix code I believe).

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Quote:

+1.

I have used these filters in other guises (Napa PS/Silver, Pro-Tec) and they are good. I would not run them 10k however. The nitrile combo valve is not my favorite and since the model for our Lexus has it, your Camry's model likely is the same (x1348 is the Wix code I believe).

+2

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Quote:

+1.

+2

+3
I like this plan too.

Since when do we know the efficiency of Toyota OEM filters and flow characteristics? (And I mean for a fact not some test report by a competitor and one data point)

Get get a regular Fram OCOD or TG if you really have to the change this weekend. I would run those before a ST filter because at least they don't have the combo valve.

First no worries about flow vs filtration, all filters flow well enough in pc use. See Zee's comment above.

And, as the OP's sig. 2011 Camry is a "cartridge" filter application, the combo valve comments are not applicable and point thus moot. As an aside though, bypass valve type in the ST, like the MGL, Auto Extra, ProSelect/Silver are application specific. Some use combo valve, some don't. But again not applicable to the OP.

Looking at the equivalent Micro Gard MGL57047 as the example, as the OP noted, looks very similar to the OE Toyota no endcap type cartridge. In this case, I'd have no worries using the ST cartridge for the queried 10k oci.

As for trusting the Amsoil ISO 4548-12 OE Filter information data points, still posted on their site. Seems like if it was inaccurate, one of the companies would have sued by now for advertising false information, apparently hasn't happened. Also one would think the ACDelco, Mopar and Motorcraft results would have been far worse in comparison. Actually all three quite respectable.

Back to topic, I'd use the ST cartridge for the queried oci in said Camry.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I'd use the ST filter with no worries at all. People lose a lot of sleep over nothing here.

Exactly.

Thanks, confirms what I was thinking.

Filter is just a chunk of paper, three actually. I'll take pics later.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
First no worries about flow vs filtration, all filters flow well enough in pc use. See Zee's comment above.

And, as the OP's sig. 2011 Camry is a "cartridge" filter application, the combo valve comments are not applicable and point thus moot. As an aside though, bypass valve type in the ST, like the MGL, Auto Extra, ProSelect/Silver are application specific. Some use combo valve, some don't. But again not applicable to the OP.

Looking at the equivalent Micro Gard MGL57047 as the example, as the OP noted, looks very similar to the OE Toyota no endcap type cartridge. In this case, I'd have no worries using the ST cartridge for the queried 10k oci.

As for trusting the Amsoil ISO 4548-12 OE Filter information data points, still posted on their site. Seems like if it was inaccurate, one of the companies would have sued by now for advertising false information, apparently hasn't happened. Also one would think the ACDelco, Mopar and Motorcraft results would have been far worse in comparison. Actually all three quite respectable.

Back to topic, I'd use the ST cartridge for the queried oci in said Camry.

The Amsoil data on their website is 5 years old and only one specific Toyota filter model. That one piece of data is thrown around here with broad implications regularly. To me there is not enough proof compared to the statements that are regularly made (like for example Toyota specs flow over filtration).

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: sayjac

The Amsoil data on their website is 5 years old and only one specific Toyota filter model. That one piece of data is thrown around here with broad implications regularly. To me there is not enough proof compared to the statements that are regularly made (like for example Toyota specs flow over filtration).

Unfortunately, that Amsoil chart with the ISO 4548-12 test results is the only thing out there that gives any indication what the Toyota filters may run at for efficiency. Also, old member 'river_rat' did some bench testing that also showed the Toyota filters were noticeably less efficient than others tested, which correlates with the Amsoil chart.

Not sure if anyone has ever tired to contact Toyota to see if they would give efficiency data on their oil filters. My guess it the info is unobtainable from Toyota.

Continued OT

Yes even before the Amsoil ISO test results release, highly respected member river rat's similarly respected oil filter testing posted on this forum showed the no endcap type filters to be relatively inefficient as compared to their endcap type peers. His testing design was repeated on the Mitsu Evo forum and it showed similar results for the no endcap type Mitsubishi oem filter. As aside, like the loss of Jim Allen posts, river rat's contributions are missed in this quarter.

As for the Honda A02 efficiency, speaking directly to the lead engineer at Fram Labs a few years back, while he didn't give specific efficiency data, confirmed the Honda oem to be significantly less efficient than aftermarket peers. Even gave me a possible reason, but admitted that reason to be speculation. Since Fram makes the A02 thinking he would some idea about it's efficiency. Not to mention, he's a straight up guy.

Now whether one believes the Amsoil ISO test data, up to the individual. Really makes no difference to me, I'll keep my opinion. I will say that many posters here that didn't care for the previous vague Motorcraft FL820S spec prior to the Amsoil test, embraced the respectable Amsoil finding when it was added to the their site. And the reason the Amsoil results are oft linked is because the OEM filter manufacturers generally speaking, keep their efficiency specs as propriety. That is a fact.

All that said, for many/most including some of those posting or reading this board, efficiency specs are nothing more than minutia. And as it's their vehicles, it's their choice. I'm cool with it.

Lastly and perhaps most important as it seemed to be lost in the Amsoil quote/comment, as the first sentence in initial post alludes to, filter flow has never been a concern of mine in pc use. So the flow vs efficiency discussion (ie. favors flow) is irrelevant to me. My .02+

No one around here gives it any credence, but this "star" test I was playing with I think does show something. I held up bare media to a ceiling light in the evening (because bright background light washes out the effect)in a darkened room, and could see pinholes on some. The two I saw pinholes on are the Mann evotop fleece filter from a Mercedes dealer, and a 10 year old Toyota 90915-yzzf2 I bought new. I also looked at a Fram Ultra xg3614, and could see no pinholes at all, even dividing the media into it's two layers. Neither Ultra layer passed any light "stars", or pinholes. So this does correspond to what's being said. I noticed the new Toyota filters I just bought have a much lighter color media, they may have changed it. I still have no problem using the Toyota.
Another simple test would be to use the blotter method like Trasko shows on their website. I thought it was an interesting simple test.
I bet Fram knows exactly what the efficiency of the Toyota and Kia etc filters are, they have the machines. I saw them in the video online and the visitor noticed various filters standing by.
Quite frankly, Motorking seems a little ticked off lately, so probably won't help.

Changed the oil. The filter looks a bit lower quality, but eh.

2it2yk0.jpg

69ol12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back