substitute for chrysler's new atf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (fca) with the 8-speed auto trans are rated at 100,000 miles before a service is due. I want to change fluid at 30,000 miles, but dealer wants $44.00 per quart for their atf. Does anyone know of a decent substitute fluid that meets fca's specs?
Tia.
Glen

You won't find it much cheaper. Chrysler says its ok until 100k, I would ride it out, and in a few years the price will go down.

That's what I would do. If the manufacturer says its good until 100k why do it a third of the way early

MaxLife ATF is recommended by Valvoline for Shell L12108 applications.

$17.87/gallon at your local Walmart.

Not a lot of choices. I wouldn't change it yet. I'm currently looking for a formulation as the local Chrysler people want me to carry it so they don't have to import it.

ZF details

Shell

Holy [censored]. Fiachrys is using Unicorn tears for ATF. I hope you laughed at them as you walked away.

What vehicle is this for?

rickmeseke asked, "If the manufacturer says its good until 100k why do it a third of the way early"?

ANSWER: Because car companies are staffed by lying, filthy dogs. They lie about service intervals to keep projected maintenance cost estimates down.

Sampling the fluid at 10K intervals may reveal a stable system which can go longer than the 30K the OP mentioned.

Good luck with your Fiachrys. Which one did you buy? Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
rickmeseke asked, "If the manufacturer says its good until 100k why do it a third of the way early"?

ANSWER: Because car companies are staffed by lying, filthy dogs. They lie about service intervals to keep projected maintenance cost estimates down.

Sampling the fluid at 10K intervals may reveal a stable system which can go longer than the 30K the OP mentioned.

Good luck with your Fiachrys.

Here's the word directly from the transmission manufacturer:

"ZF 5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
- frequent highway driving in top speed range,
- offensive, sporty driving style,
- frequent trailer operation,
being above average, oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant specifications."

Amsoil's signature series ATF fluid is $12.45 a quart and the Amsoil site says it is recommended where MOPAR 68157995A is called for. 68157995A is used in the ZF 8HP45 & ZF 9HP45 transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxlife
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: olefam
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (fca) with the 8-speed auto trans are rated at 100,000 miles before a service is due. I want to change fluid at 30,000 miles, but dealer wants $44.00 per quart for their atf. Does anyone know of a decent substitute fluid that meets fca's specs?
Tia.
Glen

I advise that you stick with the recommended product.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Kira

Good luck with your Fiachrys.

Here's the word directly from the transmission manufacturer:

"ZF 5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
- frequent highway driving in top speed range,
- offensive, sporty driving style,
- frequent trailer operation,
being above average, oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant specifications."

AND, the above in bolded-italics is their CYA out.

If you intend to keep your vehicle for some time, I would advise changing fluids according to their Severe Service Schedule (SSS).

In lieu of no clearly defined SSS, use an oCI of 1/3 the Lifetime Fill schedule.

These transmissions although in use for a while are still fairly new in comparison to others that have a longer history in service. So people servicing them are going to be far and few. I like Molakule's recommendation of changing the fluid. I wouldn't use a universal fluid that claims to meet the spec, just yet. I would use the OE fluid. Hopefully as time goes by more companies will mfg. it and prices will come down.

These transmissions are known to be quite 'fluid sensitive', I agree with Molakule, and for sure use the correct OE product.

See if you can find the OEM supplier. A different animal but our new to us Ford with the aisin warner awf21 six-speed automatic transmission is a special ATF from Ford but OEM it is Mobil 3309 I found as it is the maker for the Toyota Type T IV as well. Under the Volvo brand it is several times more expensive.

For ATF I would use not less than the OEM source specs because of the friction modifiers required.

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/cat...e%206.10.13.pdf

I did find this and it seems the Valvoline Max-life ATF claims to cover a lot of ATF needs.

Thank you everyone. It is sad and disgusting that companies charge whatever they think they can get away with in the name of profits. Dozens of excellent trans fluids, including chrysler's +4,already exist in the marketplace. Why weren't FIA engineers able to design a trans that would work with their own atf (maybe it's not really that good???) Or one of the other available fluids? By adding or subtracting an ounce of horse urine they can force their customers to either pay up or void their warranty. It's just wrong. They know it's wrong. And they don't care.sorry for the rant. I expected better from fca.
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back