Oil recommendation for 2016 Volkswagen Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just picked up a Golf R last Friday, and so far I'm loving the car. VW recommends once a year / 15,000km intervals, however, my commute is under five minutes and oil temps don't even hit 50 degrees celsius. I'll never hit the mileage interval so I'm wondering if I should change every six months or will once a year be enough?

Also looking for what oil I should run, manual recommends 5w30 / 5w40.

Thanks!

12719352_10156579871035430_7101294055581006229_o.jpg

Check the specs in the manual for the oil. Some VWs (most?) require European spec oils. Mobil 1 makes a good synthetic 5w40 for Euro vehicles. Since the R is turbo'd I would only use a synthetic, personally. Does it only give one mileage? No "severe service intervals" or anything? Given cold temps in Canada and short trips it's a tough call. You'd probably be OK once a year but oil is cheap, if you change it yourself. Turbos aren't...

Also, how many miles will you put on in a year? Ever take trips? Or just 4 miles a day and never any more? That's like 1500 miles a year.

I just got this directly from VW in an Email. At the end of the email vw says you can use viscosities other than the 5-40 mentioned in the manual.

The gasoline used
in your vehicle
really does make
a difference...
Volkswagen is now part of a group of leading automakers calling
for higher gasoline standards.
Volkswagen, along with other top auto manufacturers, recognizes that the current Federal mandates for minimum detergent requirements for gasoline do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.
This group of automakers is raising the bar, calling for a premier standard of gasoline performance, with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards. These standards create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers.
The issue
Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have a negative impact on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness.
Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.
The solution
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards help drivers avoid lower quality
gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.
Here are the retailers that currently meet TOP TIER
Detergent Gasoline standards:
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Chevron-Canada
Conoco
Entec Stations
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
MFA Oil Company
Phillips
Petro-Canada
QuikTrip
Shell
Shell-Canada
Sunoco-Canada
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Company
For the most current listing of retailers that meet the TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline standards, visit toptiergas.com.
Choosing the right oil
matters a lot more today
than it used to.
The power plant in your Volkswagen is one of the most advanced and sophisticated engines available today. Built to precise specifications, it requires an exact grade, viscosity and quality of engine lubrication.
Many synthetic oils available today provide better engine lubrication that can outlast traditional petroleum-based oils making them a smart choice for use throughout the life of your Volkswagen. Because of this fact, Volkswagen strongly recommends that you use synthetic-based oil that complies with Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 as a replacement lubricant for your engine.
Whether you use synthetic or petroleum-based engine oil, the oil that you use must conform to Volkswagen’s oil quality standard VW 502 00 in order to help keep your vehicle’s engine running smoothly and help prevent the formation of harmful sludge and deposits that can lead to expensive repairs. At the time of printing, engine oils available in the U.S. that meet the standard are synthetic oils.
Engine oil specifications for gasoline engines in 2005 and newer
model year Volkswagen vehicles
Specification and viscosity
Your gasoline engine was factory filled with all-season, high-quality engine oil that conforms to Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00.
If you need to add oil between changes, or perform an oil change, use only an engine oil with the correct specifications that complies with Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00.
To help prevent the formation of harmful sludge and deposits, use only oil with the Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 specification printed on the oil container.
Engine oils are graded according to their viscosity
The proper viscosity grade oil for your gasoline engine depends on climatic or seasonal conditions where you drive. You can use oil with a viscosity grade of SAE 5W40 across all temperature ranges for normal driving conditions. However, if engine oil viscosity grade SAE 5W40 is not available, you can also use viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 or SAE 0W-40 as long as it meets Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 502 00 specifications.
Art.-Nr.: USVWFuelBrochure | 09.2007

congrats on the purchase

So much for being cash strapped in Alberta!
Good to see the economy is alive and well
laugh.gif

Castrol right now probably has the highest number of Euro products available on Canadian shelves, and readily available, too. Mobil has options, as does Shell (Pennzoil), though the latter might be a bit more of a challenge to find. Match your needed VW spec to the number on the back of the bottle, and you're ready to go.

Any A3/B/4 xW40 will be fine, ideally one that is also 502.00

Look at catch cans and EGR adaptations unless you want a valve job in your future.

Whichever oil you use, change your oil every 6 months. I also do mostly short trips and the oil temp never gets hot. I've been using Castrol 0w-40 and some 0w-30 in my Golf 2.5L. Great oil, much better oil in this grade vs. the Castrol 5w-40. Have Pennzoil and Valvoline European Formula 5w-40 oil in the waiting. I'd personally do the first oil change early (around 2-3K mi.) Many safe and enjoyable miles in your new Golf!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Castrol right now probably has the highest number of Euro products available on Canadian shelves, and readily available, too. Mobil has options, as does Shell (Pennzoil), though the latter might be a bit more of a challenge to find. Match your needed VW spec to the number on the back of the bottle, and you're ready to go.

I might be misunderstanding something, but when you NA guys talk about euro oils do you typically mean low saps?
And also;
Is Canadian gas ULS?

Reason I ask is that I thought only Cali gas was ULS, so everywhere else you'd want mid or high saps? Or is the 3000 mile change so prevalent that it doesn't make a difference to the majority?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sparky123
Whichever oil you use, change your oil every 6 months. I also do mostly short trips and the oil temp never gets hot. I've been using Castrol 0w-40 and some 0w-30 in my Golf 2.5L. Great oil, much better oil in this grade vs. the Castrol 5w-40. Have Pennzoil and Valvoline European Formula 5w-40 oil in the waiting. I'd personally do the first oil change early (around 2-3K mi.) Many safe and enjoyable miles in your new Golf!

I'm sure the turbo motor is little more taxing then the ol' trusty I-5 we have. I've been running Castrol 0w40 for a while. The general consensus has been to stay away from the Castrol 5w40. With the minimal driving the OP does I would stick with a xw40 IMO to compensate for the possible fuel dilution. 6mo intervals sounds about right, before the winter and before the summer.

Plenty of VW 502/505 oils available off the shelf. I would use whichever one is on sale. M1 0w40 is quite popular here, but Pennzoil Ultra/Shell Helix 5w40 or 0w40 would be great too.

Agreed that a shorter interval might be beneficial.

Nice ride! My dad has an S3 (same car) and it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't see myself putting on more than 7000km / 4400 miles per year, and that's on the high end of the estimate. Chances are that it will be closer to 5-6k kms. That being said, six month oil changes would mean the oil would have somewhere around 2500-3000kms on it. Seems a little extreme, but I have no problem spending money on oil / filters it it makes sense.

This is my 70th overall vehicle and I'm hoping it's the one I actually keep for more than a couple of months.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
How is this your 70th vehicle and you bought a car designed for 20 somethings?

Hahah, I'm 35.. I bought this as a more "grown up" vehicle.

Absolutely beautiful car! Congrats and enjoy. Edge or Mobil1 0W-40 if I owned it. If I were in the market and looking to spend that amount, the GolfR would be my number one choice. I turn 46 this year.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tawheed
This is my 70th overall vehicle

And you are 35? Holly macro!

Nice ride, by the way!

FYI, wife's Q5, although a different engine, has a similarly harsh working environment - mostly very short trips, probably 6K miles a year max. I'm planning to just do annual changes on it. My car (530i) is driven similarly, and I just change the oil once a year. Did a UOA a few times, and did not see any issues with this approach. It does help to burn off fuel and moisture if you take it out for a longer drive once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back