Cost to replace a wheel stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the wheels off my Rav to grease the squeaky brakes and when putting the wheels back on, one of the lug nuts was spinning on the stud. The stud was spinning. After a few tries, I got the lug to grab and tighten up on the stud to the proper torque. That was about 6 months ago. I bought new studs and lug nuts but never had a need to remove the wheel so never replaced the stud. Took it in for new tires last week and told the tire place to replace the stud if needed. They charged me $55. Asked them to install a drive belt and they charged me $40. The drive belt is a pain in the butt on this car as the pulleys are very far apart and there's not much room and the tensioner is very tight. I'd rather pay the $40 than deal with it. Anyways, what's involved in changing out the stud that it cost more than the drive belt? Is the hard part getting the lug nut off the stud or knocking the stud out of the wheel?

take rotor off..tap old one out..tap new one in.

A good tech can do your belt in 15 mins.. the stud involves jacking car up, removing lugs, removing wheel, 15 mins to install your stud..so all in all it takes more time and shops charge by the hour.

$55 is right on with a shop charging around $100/hr.

Some hubs don't have enough clearance to get the studs in. So the hub has to come off, or get loosened up. It's a bit of a PITA if it's that involved.

I had to use a mini maul to snap a spinning stud. I didn't like the violence so I used a 1/8 drill and a chisel to split the other 2 lugnuts.

Thanks. If the studs spin again, I'll try it on my own.

Probably just grab a hammer and tap it out, stick a new one in and tighten the lug nut and it pulls itself in.

I've done them all on my mom's Buick Rendezvous.

What I meant to add was that If I could have paid 55$ for the repair I would have. I was making it up as I went along and it took several hrs for my shade tree methods to do the job. If you drill, buy a couple first so you have sharp bits. Go slow and easy and use a little oil. The lugs were hard steel.
grin2.gif

PS, I think the root cause of the problem was some bozo with an air gun. The studs were stretched to the point that the threads were distorted to the extent that to shift the nut, over came the shear strength of the flutes and splines in the hub. I [censored] punched around the hole and used Loctite on spanking new studs and 2 FOUR!! packs of new lugs all from AZ. About 20 bux, Shop around and try to get better stuff. I would definitely loosen and tighten all the lugs, just to see if you can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back