2016 Kia Soul what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a conventional 5w20 or 5w30 and replace the oil and filter every 5k miles. Brand is up to you.

Walmart has Supertech 5w30 on sale for $8 for 5 quarts. I would use that until you can buy a bulk amount with clearance/rebate oil.

Last edited:
I'm going to jump into a different camp and say change the oil and filter within Kia's recommended intervals so that you don't negatively effect the warranty.

QSUD 5w20 and a genuine Kia/Hyundai filter will keep you in good shape. Honestly, with the price of mid-tier synthetics these days I wouldn't use conventional unless it burned oil, which I'm sure your new car doesn't.

My friend likes to use Mobil Super 5000 conventional in his Kia vehicles, he changes it every 5,000. But about any oil will do. He uses 5W-20.

Any SN GF-5 will do. No need for OEM filter but they are high quality items and recommended if you're not going to use an equivalent, i.e., NAPA Gold, Tough Guard, Mobil1 etc.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Any SN GF-5 will do. No need for OEM filter but they are high quality items and recommended if you're not going to use an equivalent, i.e., NAPA Gold, Tough Guard, Mobil1 etc.

I would normally agree about the aftermarket filter, but what about the noise issues some report with aftermarket filters on Kia/Hyundai vehicles?

PYB in either 5w20 or 5w30, changed at intervals to keep warranty intact. Done.

Exactly what we are doing with our daughter's 2015 Soul by the way.

I have a 2013 Hyundai sonata and I use 5w30. Cap says 5w-20 but the manual says either of them can be used. Yours is probably similar. If you don't know just go with 5w20.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Originally Posted By: wemay

I would normally agree about the aftermarket filter, but what about the noise issues some report with aftermarket filters on Kia/Hyundai vehicles?

Going on personal experience, we've owned three Hyundai and never heard any concerning noises. But again, I've only used mid-tier or above filters like the ones mentioned.

I really think the start up filter issue applies to the older vehicles and aftermarket filters of the time. Newer quality filters have designed problems out IMO. We use Fram TG9688's on ours, and have also used a host of cartridge filters in our 2012 Sedona without the slightest issue.

The Fram rep who posts here had alluded to some changes they made to the 9688's back then too.

I have the same engine in my Elantra. Owners manual calls for 5W-20 or 5W-30, API SM or higher. I decided on a 30 grade since fuel dilution seems to be a bit more of a concern with GDI engines. I'm sticking with synthetic and the recommended 7500 mile OCI. I'd also highly recommend the Hyundai/Kia OEM Filter. They're an amazingly well built filter and very reasonably priced right from the dealer.

Book says api sm or above ilsac gf-4 or above acea a5 or above what oil meets that 5w20 or 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back