Quick Lube used wrong filter on friends mom's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hasn't it been said here before that a bypass setting doesn't matter?

Fram's bypass specs are far different than Subaru and Audi filters for example.

If there is a difference, I guess I am failing to see it.

Correct. You need to know the full flow characteristics to make any meaningful conclusion. But that doesn't stop Internet clueless engineers.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Many suppliers of quick lube filters consolidate filter part numbers to keeps costs low and reduce inventory. It's practically a standard practice among the quick lube industry.

That's just good business practice IF it doesn't result in a lower quality end product or service.

That filter looks like a Service Champ, and filter consolidation probably was the reason that filter was put on.

On the quality issue, I can say for sure that it can and does reduce the quality. For example: My Oldsmobile GM 3.1 used Service Champ oil filter OF173, and it's height is 4.44 inches and outside diameter is three inches. The OF173 was consolidated last year to the Service Champ OF111, and it's height is 3.11 inches and it's outside diameter is 2.98 inches. I would think there is less media in the shorter filter, so that would shorten filter life too unless they are using some type of new media, but I doubt it.

BidD1, the premise of the OP was the quick lube place used the wrong filter. The links provided show that the filter used is recommended, or at the least allowable for the '11 Explorer. Also there were several comments that inventory consolidation in and of itself is bad. A physically smaller filter isn't automatically bad if it uses the same media and other parameters are appropriate.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I wouldn't wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or any of those quick change places work on my wheelbarrow.

^^^AGREED! +1^^^
I wouldn't even let them oil my bicycle chain if I owned a bike.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I wouldn't wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or any of those quick change places work on my wheelbarrow.

^^^AGREED! +1^^^

Awesome! I say the same thing all the time!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

^^^AGREED! +1^^^

LoL ... yeah, I always do my own maintenance. I'd be really paranoid of a quick lube place was working on my stuff.

Same thing just happened to my boss. they didn't even get the thread pitch right. the filter hung on for quite some time, but it's turned cold here (finally) and startup pressures are higher. There was a "bang" and he dash lit up. Filter literally blew off the engine and dumped all the oil right then and there. Made a big mess. threads on the engine are still good but they are slighlt galled on the filter, and it now slips on and off. He put in his own oil and will be having a talk with the express lube place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back