Blue-Point cartridge filter sockets for Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/ofwtoy3kt_npa.pdf

I found this posted on GarageJournal. It appears that BluePoint/Snap-On has developed a pair of cartridge filter sockets for the newer Toyota vehicles that are equipped with a cartridge oil filter.

Judging from the shape of the smaller one for the 4-cyl vehicles, I think this is a much better choice than the generic 64mm aluminum caps that one would otherwise use. From what I can see, the Bluepoint cap has greater surface area around the edge, which should grip the cap better to allow for a easier removal. A number of people have reported difficulty in removing the cartridge filter cap on the 1.8L if they are even the slightest bit overtightened, so this cap should help.

I think I will pick one up for future oil changes on the Prius. The smaller one is $32.15, which is not cheap, but is probably one of the cheaper items that you can buy from Snap-On.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I have used the "closest possible" cap wrench that fit a Vibe (Pontiac Toyota Matrix) and folded a shop rag in two and put it on the filter cap and pressed on the cap socket wrench and it was really snug fitting after and came off like a charm.

For people who already have a cap wrench set and don't want to invest in more...

That Blue point thing is pretty nice, but I'm not investing in any more tools for doing oya chains on cars I don't own. I especially like the drain thing that works on the 2.5/3.5 engines.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It looks like Matco makes one too, but I can never get their darn website to work:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/TOY110/TOYOTA-OIL-FILTER-HOUSING-WRENCH/

I ordered a PBT71110 from Amazon for 24.99 and free shipping from the vendor. It looks exactly like the one linked above. I haven't tried it out yet, but it does fit perfectly over a spare cap I have. I have high hopes that it will work better than the style that only contacts the hex. This one also engages the "ears" near the bottom of the cap. Plus, a ratchet drive will fit the socket, where the one I have now doesn't have the square hole and requires a big socket instead.

My snap-on rep sold me the blue point one for corollas for $15. I remember being surprised it did not cost more than that. This was 5 or 6 years ago I believe. He past away suddenly a few years back. The tool works perfectly.

UPDATE:

I just used the "Private Brand Tools" model for the first time today, on a Vibe 1.8. It is far superior to my socket that only fits the end of the cap. The difference in leverage let me loosen the cap in a few seconds, without cussing or throwing by back out.

At the risk of sounding like Hank Hill, I'll say there's not much more satisfying in life than having the right tool for the job.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
UPDATE:

I just used the "Private Brand Tools" model for the first time today, on a Vibe 1.8. It is far superior to my socket that only fits the end of the cap. The difference in leverage let me loosen the cap in a few seconds, without cussing or throwing by back out.

At the risk of sounding like Hank Hill, I'll say there's not much more satisfying in life than having the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the update. I may have to get one of these for my next oil change. I currently have a generic socket style one that only slides over the end of the housing. The thing fits VERY snugly and worked fine for getting the filter housing off, but I had a miserable time getting the socket apart from the filter housing after it was off the car.

How does your new tool work in this regard??

Last edited:
The housing did not get stuck in the new socket the way it did in the old one. I was able to separate the two by hand, where I always had to smack the old one with a ratchet handle to get them apart.

I can see the cap getting chewed up where the old socket slipped on the corners. I actually ordered a backup housing, expecting the original one to crack eventually.

CTA tools also makes a version of this socket, part #2465. I found it for less money but it ended up being more with shipping. The version I bought seems to be packaged under several different brand names.

Try O'Reillys. I bought my wrench for the the Fusion(cartridge filter) for about $8. They can get them in a couple of days.

Just ordered one from Snap-On. Some people on Priuschat ordered the knockoff version from eBay, but said the lip is too big?

I was also pleasantly surprised that ground shipping is free when you order from the Snap-On website, so it was only $35 total for the OWYTOY4 cap. My Prius is due for its 70k service soon so I'll keep you guys updated on how well the cap works.

Originally Posted By: badger05
Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
UPDATE:

Thanks for the update. I may have to get one of these for my next oil change. I currently have a generic socket style one that only slides over the end of the housing. The thing fits VERY snugly and worked fine for getting the filter housing off, but I had a miserable time getting the socket apart from the filter housing after it was off the car.

How does your new tool work in this regard??

After breaking two (jobber) sockets trying to get the housing off, the present one is a permanent part of the housing, thanks to Epoxy resin!

I received it in the mail today:

PandaBear said to me that he thinks that this cap is made from casted steel instead of the usual stamped steel?

Update -

My shop buddy broke the tool while trying to remove a very very overtightened oil filter. The "prongs" that you see in the picture simply broke off, then the 3/8" drive portion cracked.

I guess it's time to find a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back