Oversized filter for wifes car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
Here's a quickie! I'm going to change the wife's oil a little on down the road and was just curious if the XG16 would be a good oversize replacement for the XG3614? Assuming there is room that is. This will be on a 2006 Dodge Stratus SXT (2.4L 4 cyl).
Any comments, questions, and suggestions welcome...
Thanks,
-G

Originally Posted By: Run
Will the XG8A fit? If you have clearance that should be biggest.

Haven't checked fitment yet, but i'm hoping it will. I didn't realize there would be anything bigger than the 16.

Last edited:
Use a Fram XG3600...

My Saturn uses a 3614, and I run a 3600...

Exact same base, just under 5 inches long...

Last edited:
Our Sebring uses the 3614, the 16 is the logical oversize as it has a lot more capacity but is not very much longer. The Sebring filter is down low so you don't want it hanging down where it can get hit, is the newer Stratus the same way?

If it's higher and you have room the 3600 series would be my pick for an oversize although yes you could run as large as a PH8a or equivalent.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Our Sebring uses the 3614, the 16 is the logical oversize as it has a lot more capacity but is not very much longer. The Sebring filter is down low so you don't want it hanging down where it can get hit, is the newer Stratus the same way?

If it's higher and you have room the 3600 series would be my pick for an oversize although yes you could run as large as a PH8a or equivalent.

I can't remember off of the top of my head honestly. I think it's still fairly low, but I'll have to double check. If the Huge filters will hang too low then I will probably follow your recommendation. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Use a Fram XG3600...

My Saturn uses a 3614, and I run a 3600...

Exact same base, just under 5 inches long...

If the PH8a isn't a logical fitment as far as room and what not goes, this will be a good alternative, thank you!

Thanks everyone for the help with my wife's car! Now I need help with my car, the Kia in my signature. I've been doing some searching and have found that there are plenty of oil filters that fit the thread size of my vehicle, the one in my signature. However a lot of them vary as far as the I.D. and O.D. of the gasket go. That being said, how important is it that those numbers are similar to oem? And how important is it that the Relief valve setting PSI are similar or matching as well as gasket thickness. I'm currently using an XG9688 which is oem fit. After looking on this site, it looks like I can go with the 3985, 3950, or 3953a if I want to keep using the FU filters. I'm not opposed to other brands, the M1-104 and D3312 are the XG9688 equivalents and there are others that would be close in fitment too. What would you guys recommend? I'm trying to stick with the synthetic or semi-synthetic filters if possible. I don't have any set amount that I'm trying to hold extra as far as oil capacity goes, just whatever holds the most and fits best at the same time.
Thanks in advance,
-G

On the Dodge, I could add that our Lexus uses that same spec'd filter. I use as an "upgrade" either"

a) Wix/Napa 51315/1315 OR:
b) Motorcraft FL-400S

the Motorcraft is a great filer at a great value ($4). This thread is very informative and in a certain way stimulating regarding that:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3913594/FL-400S_@_7253_miles#Post3913594

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XrHZHQZBA

Nice long filter on the stratus looks like a target for speed bumps, road debris, rocks... I'd be afraid to go over parking/street curbs. Obviously, its for YOU to check clearances/risk...

Kia? If it calls for a 51334, then a 51344/51347/PH2849a/L20073/B1431 is next size up. Problem is, you need to pay attention to that Korean engine knock. And, being an obsolete low volume PN, doubt that you'd find a synth/blend newer fancy filter.
Baldwin B7042 is another 20mm big filter.

Better option if you have space:
http://www.shop.perma-cool.com/Engine-Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kits-DELUXE-dual_c106.htm

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XrHZHQZBA

Nice long filter on the stratus looks like a target for speed bumps, road debris, rocks... I'd be afraid to go over parking/street curbs. Obviously, its for YOU to check clearances/risk...

Kia? If it calls for a 51334, then a 51344/51347/PH2849a/L20073/B1431 is next size up. Problem is, you need to pay attention to that Korean engine knock. And, being an obsolete low volume PN, doubt that you'd find a synth/blend newer fancy filter.
Baldwin B7042 is another 20mm big filter.

Better option if you have space:
http://www.shop.perma-cool.com/Engine-Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kits-DELUXE-dual_c106.htm

Do you know of the summit racing kits are any good?

Remember, there is no documented benefit to using an oversized oil filter. The only benefit is a perceived feel good.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Remember, there is no documented benefit to using an oversized oil filter. The only benefit is a perceived feel good.

So i'm seeing. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back