Stomach acidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on Nexium for some time, and before that, Prilosec. I had very painful heartburn and reflux, and was diagnosed with GERD. Recently, for maybe a year or so, I just felt like I was kind of winding down. Not much energy or stamina. As a guy in his mid-to-late 50's, I thought maybe some of it was natural, but I still felt I should have a little more energy.

Fast forward. I now have a lot more energy. For three months or so, I haven't been taking Nexium, antacids, or other PPI's. I have been doing the opposite. With meals, I take Betaine HCl, and between meals, if I feel a little heartburn coming on, I mix some Apple Cider Vinegar with water or Gatorade and drink that. So, adding acidity to my stomach.

I had heard before that heartburn is often caused by low acidity rather than high acidity. I sort of forgot about that for a while, but a few months ago, I came upon an article that not only described why this is so, but gave some advice on how to lower the pH in one's stomach. I have been following this advice, and feeling much better.

Of course, this isn't a good idea if you have an active ulcer, or certain other conditions. You should check with your doctor.

ACV (apple cider vinegar) has a lot of uses and it also helps lower blood sugar in type 2 diabetics.. All this medication everyone takes has serious side effects..
You say you should consult with your doctor but sometimes they don't know the truth either.. My closest friend is a board certified cardiologist and he says try it if it works then good he always says "sometimes we don't know"

I was on Zantac, nexium, Prevacid, protonix and omeprazole and a few others and what really works is a good over the counter probiotic (germ pill)

Last edited:
Great advice but I wouldnt recommend the gatorade..acv and water is great advice..funny but true story..my cat had a urinary tract infection..fixed with ACV and water fed via syringe. ACV is quite good for many uses.. avoiding caffeine, smoking and alcohol (or other triggers is good too..and avoid junkfood as much as possible).

I was on prescription strength prilosec and ranitidine. I was averaging a 12 pack of cold ones a day. Since I quit, I feel my acid reflux is 80% improved.

I have found that being over weight and eating an sugar causes acid reflux. I go on the Atkins Diet...lose weight and the reflux disappears.

I use Tums once in a while now.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
ACV (apple cider vinegar) has a lot of uses and it also helps lower blood sugar in type 2 diabetics..

Apple vinegar has also the bad habit of messing up your liver when consumed each day in liberal quantities.

After I got married in 2011, I was working 80 hours a week because both my wife and I were college students(still are). During that times, I started to get heart burn, that I never ever had before, my brother who is finishing pharmacy college, uses prescription medication, which he recommended to me as well.

I went to the Doctor, and she told me to at that instant, to do calf raises standing up and see if that helps, and she was right, it started to help, I got heart burn because I was out of shape and consuming way too much food.

It's been 4 years and I started working out again, I have never gotten heart burn again since the doctor's recommendation.

I always wondered if that is the issue that other people are having as well.

I have been Gluten Free for 1.5 years as well, my seasonal allergies are completely gone since then as well.

Last edited:
My Heartburn came back 3 months ago for whatever reason. Had it several years ago.

Need to take Prilosec (Omeprazole) every day, EVEN IF I take 2-3 Acidophilus & Yogurt!

Bragg ACV didn't help much.
smile.gif
Should get in to a Doc I guess.....

I just simply follow a diet that is rich in fish, poultry, vegetables and fruits, and avoids processed, fast and junk foods. Neither my wife nor I have any issues with acid reflux.

It's a far better alternative than popping handfuls of pills trying to mask the problem.

Eat more meat, butter and eggs. Avoid carbs. Eliminate all vegetable oils other than coconut and olive oil. Problem solved and waistline shrinks. Read "Protein Power" by Dr Eades and go from there.

https://proteinpower.com/

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I have been Gluten Free for 1.5 years as well, my seasonal allergies are completely gone since then as well.

[off-topic]
Do tell more, much appreciated!
[/off-topic]

I found not eating wheat or gluten helped reduce my heartburn. It also eliminated most junk foods too which helps you feel better. Get a rice cooker and I find the corn pasta acceptable. I eat a lot more baked potatoes now too.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I just simply follow a diet that is rich in fish, poultry, vegetables and fruits, and avoids processed, fast and junk foods. Neither my wife nor I have any issues with acid reflux.

It's a far better alternative than popping handfuls of pills trying to mask the problem.

Cool story, bro.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Cool story, bro.

What of the old standby of a little baking soda dissolved in water? Not swilling an entire glassful of the stuff, but a couple of sips? It seems to work for me. I've tried the vinegar and water, and that didn't work that well.

I'm not overweight. I do your basic antacid tablets and a ranitidine before dinner; I work out solidly, 4-5 times a week; and while I admit I eat too many cookies and drink a bit too much coffee, I do lean meat, chicken, and fish, olive oil only, vegetables, eggs, natural peanut butter and real butter, dodge the corn syrup, etc.

I have acid reflux pretty bad. I will get heartburn if I forget to take my omeprazole, even if I don't eat anything. I just recently had an EGD done to find out if I'm a candidate for have the surgery to get rid of the AR. Omeprazole controls it, but the long term affects of taking this drug are not yet known, so I'd just as soon like to have the surgery so I can get off of the med...I haven't gotten the results of the EGD back yet...

stop popping pills pls.
GERD/Acid reflux is caused by bacteria.
You are infected,
change diet, eat light meals often,
apple cider vinegar, honey, tea, cantalopes, honeydew, try them one at a time and see which one helps.

Rather than medicate myself, or get medical advice from an oil forum from who knows what. I'll go to the Dr. and follow his advice.

After all they've helped keep me alive thru polio, and cancer for 72 years now.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Rather than medicate myself, or get medical advice from an oil forum from who knows what. I'll go to the Dr. and follow his advice.

After all they've helped keep me alive thru polio, and cancer for 72 years now.

True, most docs are pill happy, if you get one that want to resolve the root cause, then you are good.

resolving a problem with the human body is no different that attacking an engine problem, you benefit from input from the user base.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
stop popping pills pls.
You are infected,
apple cider vinegar, honey, tea, cantalopes, honeydew, try them one at a time and see which one helps.

Citation needed.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
stop popping pills pls.
You are infected,

My Dr. said most acid reflux is caused by the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach not fully closing, allowing stomach acid to flow up into the esophagus. I'm hoping to be a candidate to have the surgery done to repair the sphincter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back